Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Compare the best kitchen mixers
Save time and effort while stirring things up in the kitchen.
Stirring, whisking and mixing everything by hand requires significant time and effort. Kitchen mixers make it quicker and easier to tackle a host of food prep tasks, ranging from whisking eggs to mixing up cookie dough.
Compare some of the best kitchen mixers
|Tool attachment type||Wattage||Speed options||Bowl capacity (litres)||Purchase|
|KitchenAid Artisan Mini||$330.00||Single||250||10||3.3||Buy now|
|Cuisinart Precision Master||$134.19||Single||500||12||5.2||Buy now|
|Breville Scraper Mixer Pro||$299.95||Single||550||12||4.7||Not available|
|Hamilton Beach 63326 6-Speed||$140.00||Single||300||6||3.3||Buy now|
|KitchenAid Artisan||$279.95||Single||325||10||4.8||Buy now|
What is a standing mixer?
A standing mixer is an electrical appliance used to mix, beat, whip, whisk and combine foods. It features one or more beaters to make these common food prep tasks quicker and easier.
What types are available?
There are several options to consider when choosing a mixer:
These appliances feature a motorized base where the beater attachments connect and a removable bowl that you can lock into place when in use.
They offer more power over hand mixers and can tackle heavier doughs, and most come with several different attachments to provide extra versatility. They’re a completely hands-free mixing option.
There are two main types of standing mixers available:
- Planetary mixers. These models feature beaters that rotate in an elliptical path around a stationary bowl to evenly mix throughout the bowl and usually perform well with heavy dough.
- Fixed-beater mixers. These models feature off-center beaters in a bowl that rotates. They’re cheaper than planetary mixers but may not offer the same level of performance.
Hand and stick mixers
If you’re looking for something a little smaller that takes up less cupboard space, you could consider a hand mixer. These handheld appliances often have twin beaters and are handy for light-duty tasks like whipping cream or preparing cakes and mousses. They’re best suited for occasional bakers and those who aren’t sure whether spending big dough on a stand mixer is worth it.
However, they’re less powerful than stand mixers and come with fewer attachments and features. Hand mixers are the most compact option available and are easy to use and usually feature several attachments.
How to compare kitchen mixers
Before buying a mixer, narrow down your choices to a range of suitable models to compare your options based on their key features. Factors to consider include the following:
- Power. Most mixers offer anywhere between 300 and 1,700 watts. But keep in mind, more power doesn’t necessarily mean better performance.
- Speeds. Most stand mixers offer between six and 12 options. Multiple speed settings allow you a variety of food prep tasks.
- Attachments. While the heavy-duty beater will probably get the most use, other common attachments include scraper beaters dough hooks and whisks.
- Ease of use. Easy-to-understand controls, accessories that are simple to attach and remove, adjustable height and lots of space to add ingredients are a few key features to consider.
- Price. It’s possible to pick up a compact, entry-level stand mixer for less than $100, but most models are $200 and above. Top-of-the-line stand mixers cost several hundred dollars and even more than $1,000 in some cases. Hand mixers start around $20 and you’ll find numerous choices for less than $100.
Other features to consider:
- Timer. Many mixers feature a timer that allow you to precisely follow a recipe.
- Splash guard. Splatter guards prevent spills when mixing or adding ingredients to the bowl.
- Tilt-head or bowl-lift. Tilt-head mixers provide easier access to the bowl when in use. Bowl-lift mixers usually have a larger capacity.
- Design. If your mixer will stay on your kitchen counter, consider its looks, as in color choices and style.
Pros and cons
We can’t specify the exact best mixer model for you, but here are some perks and drawbacks on some popular choices:
|The good||The bad|
|KitchenAid Classic Plus|
|Breville Bakery Chef|
|Cuisinart Precision Master|
|Hamilton Beach 63326|
Investing in a kitchen mixer can help you save time and elbow grease, especially if you spend a lot of time cooking and baking. But before dropping some serious dough on this appliance, compare a few options to get the most bang for your buck.
How did we choose these products?
To choose our list of the best kitchen mixers, we considered factors such as size, price and overall features. We also conducted our own online research and factored in third-party product reviews.
Frequently asked questions
What’s the difference between a mixer and a blender?
While mixers combine ingredients together, blenders break ingredients down and are capable of turning soft foods into liquid.
What’s the largest KitchenAid mixer available?
KitchenAid’s largest model is the Pro Line Series 7, which has the capacity to whip up a batch of 14 dozen cookies in one go.
What can I use my kitchen mixer for besides baking?
Kitchen mixers can be very versatile. Just some of the other tasks they can perform include:
- Shred cooked chicken breast
- Whip mashed potatoes
- Make pizza or bread dough
- Grind beef
- Churn ice cream
More guides on Finder
Best outdoor nativity sets
These nativity scenes will add an extra dose of cheer to your front yard, just in time for Christmas. Find the top sites to shop.
These are the best Cyber Week kitchen deals this week
Right now, save $100 on a KitchenAid Artisan Stand Mixer, 40% off Breville Coffee Maker and more.
8 best artificial Christmas trees
Kick up your slippered feet — we’ve rounded up the best pine trees that don’t need any TLC. See our faves for budget, realistic, small spaces and more.
Best 3D printers in 2020
Whether you’re a student or an industry professional, we broke down the best 3D printers to suit your needs — from budget options to accessible features.
Best Iceland tours and tour companies for 2021
Make the most of your visit to the land of fire and ice by traveling with an expert guide.
FreshDirect review: How does it work?
Read our review of FreshDirect’s delivery service, see a step-by-step guide of how to use it, find out if it’s available near you and more.
Toilet paper buying guide
We’ll help you choose the best toilet paper for your home or office.
Best massage guns
Looking to pump up your workout? Massage guns could be what your fatigued muscles need.
Compare the best multiroom speakers
Your favorite tunes are never more than a tap away with the right multiroom speaker setup.
Best reusable water bottles
Stay hydrated, save money and help the environment when you pick up one of these top-rated water bottles.