KC Royals™ Mastercard® review
A no-annual-fee cashback card with special perks for Royals fans.
- Get this card if you’re a hardcore Royals fan.
- Pick something else if you want to earn more cash back on select categories.
- Apply with a good to an excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
Cash back as welcome offer
Up to 3%
Intro purchase APR
for the first 12 months (then 15.99% to 25.99% variable)
|Welcome offer||Earn $250 in ticket credits to attend a Kansas City Royals™ home game when you open a new KC Royals™ Mastercard® before June 30th and make at least $750 in purchases within the first 60 days from account opening.|
|Rewards||3% coffee shops, fast food and rideshares, 2% on gas and restaurants and 1% on all other purchases|
|Purchase APR||0% intro for the first 12 months (then 15.99% to 25.99% variable)|
|Balance transfer APR||0% intro for the first 12 months (then 15.49% to 25.49% variable)|
|Minimum Credit Score||670|
Kliment Dukovski is a cryptocurrency and investments writer who has written over 700 articles to help readers find and compare the best financial options. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange and stock market trading.
If you’re a Royals fan who wants cash back on purchases without paying an annual fee, this could be the right card for you. In addition to earning rewards, you get to earn four ticket vouchers for a 2019 Royals regular-season home game. You also get to enjoy game-day events and experiences and discounted tickets.
The card also comes with a long intro APR period on balance transfers and purchases. That said, large transfers can be expensive since the balance transfer fee is $10 or 5% of the transaction, whichever is greater.
How to apply for KC Royals™ Mastercard®
To apply for the card, you must be a US resident and at least 21 years old. If you are, here’s how to apply:
- Visit the Commerce Bank website and locate the KC Royals™ Mastercard® card.
- Click Apply now.
- Fill out the application form and provide your personal information, annual income, employment information and housing payments.
- Choose whether you want to add an authorized user or make a balance transfer.
- Review the application form and submit.
What credit score do I need?
Increase your chances of approval with good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
- Cash back. Earn 3% back on coffee shops, fast food and rideshares, 2% back on gas and restaurants, and 1% back on all other purchases.
- Signup bonus. Earn four ticket vouchers for a 2019 Royals regular-season home game after you spend $100 on merchandise purchases within your first 30 days of card membership. This offer is valid while supplies last.
- Intro APR period. Use your first 12 months when you open your account to make balance transfers and purchases with 0% intro APR. After that, your rate reverts to variable 0%.
- Game perks. Buy discounted tickets and enjoy game-day experiences and events.
- No annual fee. Use the card and its perks without paying an annual fee for the life of the card.
Did you know: There is a similar MLB cashback card?
With the MLB® Credit Card from Bank of America you can earn:
- 3% cash back on purchases in a category of your choice, including gas and dining.
- 2% at grocery stores and wholesale clubs.
- 1% cash back on all other purchases.
Note: The 3% and 2% cash back applies in combined purchases up to $2,500 each quarter, after which the rate drops to 1% cash back for the remainder of the quarter.
What to watch out for
- Foreign transaction fees. If you use your card abroad or at a foreign merchant online, expect to pay 1% fee if the transaction is in US dollars or 2% fee in other currencies.
- Penalty APR. Fail to make the minimum payment for 60 days and you’ll incur a penalty APR of 27.49% variable, which will apply until you make the minimum payment for six consecutive months. Also, you will lose your intro APR period.
Compare cash back credit cards
If you’re a Royals fan who loves going to games, the KC Royals™ Mastercard® could be a solid option. You get to earn cash back on your purchases, plus you get to enjoy game-day events and experiences and you get ticket discounts.
But if you think there could be a better option for you, compare credit cards until you find the right fit for your wallet.