Kabbage Checking review
This small business checking account earns 1.1% APY, but you'll pay up to $4.95 to deposit cash.
finder.com’s rating: 4.6 / 5.0
★★★★★Kabbage Checking is a free, high-interest small business checking account owned by American Express but powered by Green Dot Bank. The account earns 1.1% APY, but you’ll pay up to $4.95 each time you deposit cash into your account.
$0 per month
Minimum deposit to open
Michael Benninger is a staff banking writer at Finder. He is a former credit analyst and longtime freelancer whose articles have been published by Intuit, Business Insider and the Los Angeles Times. Michael is passionate about all facets of personal finance and has written hundreds of articles about money management during the past decade.
Expert reviewKabbage Checking is best for business owners looking for a high-interest checking account. You’ll earn 1.1% APY and won’t have to worry about monthly services fees or a minimum opening deposit.
Plus, you’ll be able to manage your money through subaccounts as you save for specific goals. But you can’t spend directly from your subaccounts. You’ll first need to transfer the money to your primary Kabbage account.
Also, Kabbage might not be for you if you frequently receive checks as a form of payment. It will take up to five business days before you see your funds if you use the app’s mobile check deposit.
How do I open a Kabbage Checking account?
Signing up for a Kabbage Checking account takes about 10 minutes.
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- From the provider site, select Checking from the top navigation menu.
- Select Apply now.
- If you already have an American Express account, sign in with your login and follow the steps to apply.
- Otherwise, enter your email address and create a password, then agree to the terms of service and select Create account.
- Enter your full legal name and select Continue, then enter your phone number and select Continue.
- Enter the six-digit number sent to your phone, then follow the steps to complete your application.
To open a Kabbage Checking account, you must meet the following criteria.
- At least 18 years old
- Must operate a business that doesn’t violate any applicable laws or regulations
What are the benefits of a Kabbage Checking account?
There are some compelling reasons why you may want to open a Kabbage Checking account.
- High APY. Kabbage Checking accounts earn 1.1% APY, which is far more interest than most other accounts offer.
- Virtual card. Immediately after opening your account, you’ll receive a temporary virtual card to use for one-time purchases until your physical card arrives in the mail.
- No monthly fee or minimum balance. There’s no fee or minimum balance requirements to open or maintain this account.
- Sub-accounts. Create up to five Reserve sub-accounts to organize your income streams or stash away money for specific goals.
- Integrates with other Kabbage products. If you have a Kabbage loan or a Kabbage Payments account, Kabbage Checking integrates with both of them.
What should I look out for?
There are also a few drawbacks to keep in mind before opening a Kabbage Checking account.
- Slow mobile deposit. If you deposit a check using Kabbage’s app, you won’t see the funds in your account for five business days.
- No interest on balances over $100K. If you have more than $100,000 in your account, you won’t earn any interest.
- Can’t spend from subaccounts. You must manually transfer funds from Reserve subaccounts into your primary Kabbage account before you can spend the money.
- Forfeited interest. If you close a Reserve subaccount in the middle of a statement cycle, you’ll sacrifice any unpaid interest those funds would have earned.
- Checks aren’t free. Kabbage lets you write checks from this account, but you’ll pay $20 for 100 personal-sized checks or $125 for 250 business-sized checks, which is on the higher end compared to the cost of checks at other banks or printers.
- Fee for cash deposits. Kabbage doesn’t charge a fee for cash deposits, but the retailers that can load cash into your account may charge a fee up to $4.95.
- No joint accounts. You can’t share access to this account with a business partner unless you’re willing to share your login credentials.
- No software integration. Unlike many business checking accounts, Kabbage doesn’t integrate with popular accounting programs.
Kabbage Checking’s ATM network and feesKabbage Checking accounts come with a debit card to use at any of the 19,000 ATMs in the Allpoint network, which are primarily found in drugstores like CVS and Walgreens.Kabbage never charges fees for using ATMs, but if you use a machine outside the Allpoint network, the owners of that ATM may assess a fee. Or, use the Kabbage debit card to withdraw cash from your account when entering your PIN at participating retailers.
Compare Kabbage Checking with other business checking accounts
Compare other business checking accounts based on fee, ATM networks and minimum initial deposits.
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?
There are a few ways to move money into and out of your Kabbage Checking account.
- Mobile deposit. Use your smartphone and the Kabbage app to deposit paper checks.
- Retailer deposits. Deposit cash at nearly 90,000 retailers across the country.
- Wire. There’s no fee to accept incoming wire transfers.
- Incoming bank transfers. Accept funds from external banks using ACH transfers.
- ATM. Withdraw cash for free at any of the 19,000 Allpoint ATMs across the US.
- Checks. Write checks from this account, but the checks aren’t free.
- Outgoing wire transfers. Send domestic wire transfers to other banks, but there’s a $25 fee.
- External bank transfers. Transfer funds to external banks using the routing and account numbers.
Is Kabbage safe?
Yes. Kabbage is owned by American Express, though this checking account is powered by Green Dot. In any case, your account is insured by the FDIC for up to $250,000.
How to contact Kabbage’s customer service?
There are two ways to contact Kabbage in case you need help with your account.
- Call 888-986-8263 weekdays from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. ET or weekends from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. ET.
- Email email@example.com.
Checking account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top checking accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: monthly fees, the ease at which monthly fees can be waived, the breadth of ATM access, ATM and overdraft fees, and customer service.