Earn 5% cashback and a 1.2% yearly bonus rate on balances up to $50,000 with qualifying direct deposit.
finder.com’s rating: 4.8 / 5.0
★★★★★Juno is a digital checking account that earns 1.2% on balances of up to $5,000 or 2.15% on up to $100,000, depending on whether you receive monthly direct deposits of $250 or more. That’s more than most high-yield savings accounts offer. Plus, you can earn 5% cashback from five merchants of your choice — up to $500 a year for Basic plan members or $3,000 a year for Metal plan members. All with no monthly maintenance fees.
But Juno doesn’t support joint accounts or wire transfers, which may be deal-breakers depending on your needs.
How much does Juno cost?Juno offers two tiers: a free Basic version and a premium Metal version that requires qualifying deposits. Neither requires a minimum balance to open.
|Name||Monthly cost||Benefits||Minimum deposit to open|
|Metal||Free with qualifying monthly direct deposits of $250 or more. If you can’t meet this requirement, your account reverts to Basic.||$0|
How much can I earn with Juno?
If you’re able to deposit $250 in monthly deposits, the Metal tier is our go-to choice for value with Juno. Here are two examples that break down earning potential with Basic and Metal.
You keep a $3,500 account balance and spend $1,000 a year with your five favorite brands.
|Bonus rate||$3,500 x 2.15% = $75.25||$3,500 x 1.2% = $42|
|Cash back||$1,000 x 5% = $50||$500 x 5% = $25|
You keep a $10,000 account balance and spend $3,000 a year with your five favorite brands.
|Bonus rate||$10,000 x 2.15% = $215||$5,000 x 1.2% = $60|
|Cash back||$3,000 x 5% = $150||$500 x 3% = $25|
If you’re looking for an account that earns a solid rate outside of direct deposit requirements, check out these top high-interest checking accounts.
How do I open an Juno account?
Qualifying US citizens can open an Juno in six steps:
- Select Apply now.
- Select Open Account from the official Juno account website.
- Enter your full name, email and password and choose Open Account.
- Enter your personal information, phone number and home address and select Next.
- Enter your Social Security Number and select Next.
- Follow the prompts to verify your identity and submit your application.
Open a Juno account when you meet three requirements:
- At least 18 years old
- US resident
- Valid Social Security number
Have this information ready when it’s time to open your account:
- Full name
- Residential address
- Social Security number
7 benefits of Juno
This FDIC-insured account supports mobile banking and offers a free debit card along with unique perks:
- Premium tier. Qualify for the Metal plan by setting up direct deposits of at least $250 monthly.
- Bonus rate. Basic members earn a 1.2% yearly bonus rate on balances of $5,000, This bonus is increased to 2.15% on up to $100,000 for Metal members.
- Banking with a purpose. With a mission to reduce wealth inequality, Juno donates 2.15% of its company profits to charities in India.
- No maintenance fees. Juno ditches common fees charged by typical banks, including those for foreign transactions, overdrafts and ATM withdrawals. And there’s no minimum balance requirement for either tier.
- Choose your own rewards. You have the flexibility to choose which five brands you earn up to 5% cash back with.
- 24/7 support. Get help through live chat, phone or email anytime.
- Receive paycheck in crypto. You can choose to receive part or all of your paycheck in a supported cryptocurrency.
How do Juno‘s cashback debit card rewards work?Juno supports a wide list of merchants through which your spending is eligible for cash back. You designate five from the list to earn between 3% and 5% cash back when you shop with that merchant, depending on the membership tier you choose.
Online and retail
- Best Buy
- The Home Depot
- Amazon Prime Video
- Disney Plus
Grocery and medicine
- Patel Brothers
- Trader Joe’s
- Sam’s Club
- Uber Eats
- Blue Bottle Coffee
- Taco Bell
- American Airlines
- United Airlines
Walmart, Kroger, Whole Foods, Walgreens and CVS are no longer eligible for new customers as of July 1, 2022. Customers who joined prior to July 1, 2022, will continue to earn cash back at these locations.
4 potential drawbacks
- No wire transfer. Juno doesn’t support incoming or outgoing wire transfers.
- No joint accounts. You can’t open a joint account with a spouse or dependent — through Juno says it’s looking to add this feature in the future.
- No other accounts. Juno offers a checking account only. If you’re wanting to keep all your accounts under one roof, look elsewhere.
- Bonus rate drops. Juno‘s bonus rate drops to 0.25% on balances over $5,000 if you’re a Basic member or over $50,000 if you’re a Metal member.
Juno‘s ATM network and feesJuno is part of the Allpoint and MoneyPass ATM networks, giving you free access to more than 85,000 ATMs nationwide. Plus, get one non-network ATM reimbursement on the Basic plan and three reimbursements on the Metal plan.
Compare Juno with other checking accounts
See how Juno stacks up to other checking accounts by selecting up to four products. Select Compare to see such features as APY and minimum deposits side by side.
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?Juno offers several ways to deposit cash and move your money between external accounts with a maximum transfer limit of $5,000 per transaction. If you need to transfer more money, contact customer support team about the possibility of increasing your limit.
- Direct deposit
- Remote check deposit through mobile app
- ACH transfer
- Transfer from a linked bank account
- Cash back at a retailer
- ACH transfer
- Transfer to a linked bank account
Is Juno safe to use?
Yes. While not a true bank account, Juno is FDIC-insured up to $250,000 thanks to a sponsorship by Evolve Bank & Trust. It also offers a zero-liability policy for its debit cards, which protects you if your card information is compromised.
Juno’s website is protected through biometric authentication, and PIN authentication is required for each transaction.
Checking account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top checking accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: monthly fees, the ease at which monthly fees can be waived, the breadth of ATM access, ATM and overdraft fees, and customer service.
Cassidy Horton is a writer for Finder, specializing in banking and kids’ debit cards. She’s been featured on Legal Zoom, MSN, and Consolidated Credit and has a Bachelor of Science in Public Relations and a Master of Business Administration from Georgia Southern University. When not writing, you can find her exploring the Pacific Northwest and watching endless reruns of The Office.
We have yet to see a digital checking account that earns more rewards than Juno. This free account comes with two tiers: you’ll earn an APY-like bonus rate of 1.2% of balances up to $5,000 with the Basic tier. Setting up monthly direct deposits of at least $250 qualifies you for the Metal tier, which earns 1.2% on up to $50,000. On top of that, can earn 5% back on debit card spending at select merchants — up to $500 with Basic or up to $5,000 with Metal. Make that 10% if you make those purchases in crypto.
You have the freedom to choose which five brands earn you cashback. And if you’re not happy with your choices, you can switch them up once a month, no sweat. Unlike credit cards that have complicated points-systems, this cashback is deposited directly into your account each month.Juno is best for anyone who’s tech-savvy and feels comfortable managing a digital bank account online. Both membership tiers are free, but you can only qualify for the Metal tier if you receive monthly direct deposits of at least $250.