James River commercial car insurance review
Cover your drivers’ cars or rental company vehicles, but only in certain states.
- Get a quote if your business uses hired or non-owned vehicles.
- Pick something else if you want the option to file claims online.
- Low- and high-risk businesses welcome.
New car protection
|States served||All 50 states|
|Claims methods||online, phone|
|Lifetime repairs guarantee||
- Accepts high-risk businesses
- Specializes in hired or non-owned vehicles
- Solid finances
- Quick damage estimates
- Several types of vehicles excluded
- May not cover rideshare drivers in every state
- Online claims only for Uber
- Mediocre business ratings
- No roadside assistance
|Anti-theft device discount||No|
|Paid in full discount||No|
|Safety device discount||No|
Sarah George is a staff writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for nearly five years, after earning an English education degree. Her insurance know-how has been featured on CarInsurance.com. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
James River Insurance is designed to protect trending businesses like ridesharing, personal shopping and package delivery services. The company works to meet the unique risks of its customers, even new, and high-risk businesses.
However, this niche provider doesn’t protect more common commercial car needs like company-owned vehicles. It also may not cover every driver in every state. And James River’s claims process and business ratings need improvement.
If you can overlook these faults and need coverage for one of the businesses listed, get a quote and then compare with other commercial car insurance policies for the best fit.
How to contact James River Insurance Company
You can get a hold of James River in a few ways, including:
- Phone: Talk with a customer representative at 804-289-2700.
- Email: Send a quick note online to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mail. If you prefer physical mail, send your information to James River Insurance Company, PO Box 27648, Richmond, VA 23261-7648.
What commercial coverage does James River Insurance offer?
James River provides standard protection to cover the necessities for delivery or service businesses. Coverage includes:
- Liability. Required in most states, liability covers the damages if you’re at fault in an accident.
- Uninsured or underinsured motorist. Offers coverage if you’re hit by a driver who can’t afford to compensate you.
- Personal injury protection. Required in some states, PIP covers medical expenses regardless of who’s at fault
- Collision. Covers repairs to your car when you’re at fault in an accident.
- Non-owner. Covers liability when you’re driving a vehicle that you don’t own.
How reliable is James River Insurance Company?
James River holds an A or excellent rating from AM Best financial, suggesting a financially stable outlook. The company is not accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). However, the BBB rates James River with a B- due to nearly 50 unresolved complaints, a low rating compared to the many businesses that keep an A or above.
Alternatives to James River insurance
Where can I get commercial car insurance from James River?
You can find coverage from James River in all 50 states and Washington DC. Some states may get backing from one of its subsidiary companies, such as James River Casualty Company. However, James River may not cover all drivers in every state.
What types of businesses does James River Insurance cover?
James River stays on the cutting edge of businesses covered, including the increasingly popular ridesharing and personal shopping companies.
- Car sharing
- Driver and chauffeur services
- Food or package deliveries
- Nonemergency medical transportation
- On-demand car servicing
- Personal shopping services
- Ridesharing companies
What coverage isn’t offered by James River Insurance?
Because the company specializes in certain types of businesses, you won’t find coverage for:
- Car dealerships
- Owned cars
- Intermediate to long-haul trucking
- Transportation for unaccompanied minors
- Towing or roadside assistance
- Vehicles holding 10 or more passengers
Pros and cons of James River commercial car insurance
- Covers high-risk businesses like rideshares. James River welcomes businesses with many levels of risk, including those denied by other commercial insurance companies.
- Solid finances. The company maintains an excellent rating from AM Best, suggesting a stable future.
- Quick damage estimates. James River provides its Estimate Express app that allows drivers to snap a photo of their car damage and receive its estimated cost for repairs. However, this is not a claims filing app.
- Several types of vehicles excluded. James River doesn’t cover many commercial vehicles like company-owned cars, dealership or high-capacity vehicles.
- May not cover rideshare businesses in every state. The company notes that it doesn’t cover Uber drivers in every state, and it may apply that rule to other similar companies it insures.
- Online claims only for Uber. Uber drivers can use the claims form online, but other companies have to fax, email or mail in accident details. Phone calls to accept claim details are not accepted for new claims.
- Mediocre business ratings. The company has a B- rating with the BBB due to multiple complaints and the company’s response time to those complaints.
- No roadside assistance. Your business won’t find towing or roadside assistance offered at all.