YouTube TV streaming service review: Product, price and features.
A solid offering of over 70 channels with up to six accounts on a single subscription.
With over 70 popular programs on the platform for a monthly fee of $64.99, YouTube TV stands out among streaming services with its comprehensive selection, specialty channel add-ons and unlimited DVR storage space. But you can’t use it outside the US and your ad-skipping options are limited.
Pros and Cons
- 70+ channels. From Animal Planet to the Food Network, access over 70 national and local channels.
- Unlimited storage space. Build and stream your personal library with unlimited DVR storage space.
- Simultaneous streaming. Add up to six accounts to a single subscription and enjoy simultaneous streaming with up to three accounts.
- No service tiers. YouTube TV has only one service tier and it comes at a cost of $64.99 monthly.
- Not available worldwide. If you plan to travel, you won’t be able to access any YouTube TV programs, live or recorded, while traveling outside the US.
- Ads. YouTube videos, live TV programs and on-demand videos all have ads with no option to skip or fast-forward unless you’ve recorded the program after it’s aired.
What features does Youtube TV offer?
Catch live content as it streams or store your favorite sitcom for a rainy day marathon. While you can create up to six different accounts per subscription, your simultaneous streaming is limited to three accounts at a time.
No box required
Besides the cost of the monthly subscription, you don’t need to purchase any other devices or gadgets to run YouTube TV. It’s wirelessly compatible across TVs, computers, tablets, mobile devices and game consoles.
Unlimited cloud DVR storage space
You can save as many programs as you want in the cloud for up to nine months. And your portable library can be streamed from anywhere inside the US.
Comprehensive program selection
YouTube TV offers access to over 70 channels. It has a respectable mix of live sports, kids programs and local networks backed by plenty of the familiar heavyweights, including ABC, CBS, NBC and ESPN.
What devices is YouTube TV compatible with?
You can watch YouTube TV with a number of compatible mobile devices, computers, smart TVs, streaming media players and game consoles.
- Smart TV devices:
- Samsung smart TV models 2016 and newer
- LG smart TVs models 2016 and newer
- HiSense TVs models MTK5658, MTK5659, MSD6586
- All Vizio SmartCast TVs
- All Roku TVs
- All Toshiba, Insignia, Element and Westinghouse Fire TV Edition smart TVs
- Game consoles:
- Xbox One, Xbox One S and Xbox One X
- Mobile Devices:
- Android L devices and above
- iOS 10 or later
- Streaming media players:
- Google’s Chromecast
- AirPlay for Apple TV
- Google Smart Displays
- Android TV
- Fire TV Stick (2nd Gen), Fire TV Stick 4K, Fire TV Cube, Fire TV Cube (1st Gen)
- Roku Ultra, Roku Streaming Stick+, Roku Streaming Stick, Roku Express/Express+, Roku Premiere+, Roku Premiere, Roku 4, Roku 3, and Roku 2
- Computer browsers:
- Google Chrome
How much does YouTube TV cost?
A YouTube TV membership costs $64.99 monthly. While there’s no premium service tier, there are a handful of exclusive single channels you can add to your account for a fee, ranging from $4 monthly for a documentary streaming service like CuriosityStream to $40 monthly for a sports streaming service like NBA League Pass.
YouTube TV advertises a free trial of its streaming service that varies in length between 7 to 14 days, depending on whether there’s a free trial promotion in effect.
To sign up for your free trial, navigate to YouTube TV’s website or download the YouTube TV app.
Starting your free trial is as simple as signing in to your Google account. Next, enter your ZIP code and select add-on channels for your free trial. If you haven’t already added a payment method to your Google account, you’ll be prompted to do so. After your trial is over, your account will be charged monthly.
What can I watch with YouTube TV?
YouTube TV offers an impressive selection of over 70 entertainment, news and sports channels, with numerous specialty channel add-ons for a more customized viewing experience. By entering your ZIP code during the signup process, you’ll gain access to a number of local channels otherwise unavailable to subscribers outside your area.
- Animal Planet
- Food Network
- NBC Sports
- National Geographic
How much data does YouTube TV use?
The highest resolution available while streaming YouTube TV is 1080p, which will require a 13mbps stable connection to maximize quality. The amount of data you consume while streaming will depend on your Internet connection.
Compare streaming services
Frequently asked questions
Shannon Terrell is a writer for Finder who studied communications and English literature at the University of Toronto. On any given day, you can find her researching everything from equine financing and business loans to student debt refinancing and how to start a trust. She loves hot coffee, the smell of fresh books and discovering new ways to save her pennies.
YouTube TV has a straightforward single-tier subscription model that offers access to a wide selection of popular programs. It’s competitive $64.99 monthly pricetag includes over 70 news, sports and entertainment channels for adults and kids alike. With unlimited DVR storage and the opportunity to add up to six accounts to a single subscription, it’s a solid option for viewers who want comprehensive channel selection at a fair price.