Looking to save on internet costs or even change providers? Take a look at what Verizon Fios has to offer. After staying in business for 16 years in a highly competitive market, Verizon knows the importance of balancing quality with affordability.
Have you ever dealt with slow downloads, painful buffering and timed-out web pages? These issues often arise when too much bandwidth is shared among friends or family on a single router. Now add your rising cable bill onto that frustrating inconvenience, and you’re ready to pull your hair out. This is where Verizon Fios comes in.
Verizon Fios promises the fastest Internet available with a speed ranging up to 500 Mbps. At that rate, your upload speed becomes exactly as fast as your download speed, allowing you to stream content, chat with friends, record files and browse online. However, most consumers recommend the 150Mbps deal because it suffices for most computing needs, including streaming, and is about $200 less than the 500Mbps plan.
- Verizon Fios starts at as low as $49.99 a month for 50 Mbps with a two-year contract. This deal increases by $10 a month for each 50 Mbps added onto the plan. That is, until you hit the 300Mbps and 500Mbps plans — these are priced at $169.99 and $269.99, respectively.
- Download time for the lowest plan is 13.7 minutes for a 5G movie, and upload time is 32 seconds for 200 photos at maximum connection speeds. The 500Mbps plan offers 1.4 minutes for a 5G movie and 1.6 seconds for 200 photos. Times will vary with connection speeds.
- A two-year contract is required at sign-up, and rates increase during the second year. Increases and fees vary.
- Purchase of a new Verizon router is required. Other initial charges and fees may apply.
- Verizon Fios is only available in 11 states right now, so check availability for your home or business on Verizon’s website.
- Verizon Fios helps customers transfer their services to a new home or apartment.
Verizon offers bundle packages for Internet, TV and phone service. A few include a $200 Visa prepaid card and Starz or Epix free for the first year. Prices vary from $79.99 a month to $124.99 a month before taxes, rates or fees. The least expensive bundle is a basic plan for 50Mbps internet, custom TV and home phone services for $69.99 a month. Each of these deals rises by $5 a month in the second year of the contract, with the option to cancel Starz and Epix (an additional $15 a month).
Verizon Fios provides a variety of tools to help you search for information and walk you through the process of ordering your service package or bundle. On top of a website support subscription and digital chat room, those who are not so technologically inclined can call Verizon to sign up or confirm the details.
Got a problem with how your service is running? Verizon’s help pages are set up to aid customers in troubleshooting and getting in contact with the right support. Verizon also provides a virtual assistant and help forums on top of the usual chat rooms and phone options. A help number is also included in the kit that arrives when your router is first set up.
Verizon Fios® Pros and Cons
- Fast and easy service
- Bundle services are affordable
- Multiple customer service access points
- Chat room available for questions
- Quick download and upload speeds
- Moving services available
- Requires a two-year contract
- $10 monthly fee charged for the router
- Prices rise after the first year
- Service only available in 11 states
- Initial service and setup fees may apply
Verizon is a large provider that’s been around since 2000. It remains a top competitor, and Fios is America’s most preferred Internet and TV service provider based on surveys and indicators taken throughout the year. It gives you not only the speedy Internet you’re looking for, but also the freedom to select custom TV stations for you to enjoy. After all, what’s the point of having over 300 channels you never even use? Customer satisfaction may not always be the highest, given the rates and start-up fees, but Verizon is still one of the more affordable providers out there.
How much am I charged for my router?
Verizon charges $10 per month.
What if I’m not in an area covered by Fios?
Unfortunately, you’ll have to search for another way to get your Internet and television. Check availability for your home or business address on the Verizon Fios website.
Are there any other fees or additional payments I’ll have to worry about?
Fees vary from plan to plan and state by state. A Fios representative can provide details on initial fees and payments, so that you can weigh them against other services.
What if I’m a Fios subscriber and have to move?
Verizon Fios offers a moving service to help transfer your service into your new home. If you’d prefer to set things up yourself, they provide a standard kit and instructions to avoid any fees the moving service might incur.