STARZ streaming review: Price and Free Trial
Watch hit movies and popular original series from your computer or smart device.
STARZ streaming service review
Can’t get enough of Outlander? Starz cable and satellite television network now has an app that allows you to stream its library of popular films and original television series. The network is a global media and entertainment company that operates under a subscription basis.
With a Starz cable or satellite subscription, you can enjoy the included streaming service through the app for free. But not all hope is lost if you don’t subscribe with your TV provider. Without a subscription, you can stream from the Starz app as a standalone package for $8.99 per month.
Get caught up on old episodes or keep up with new Starz original content from a number of smart devices or your computer using the Starz app.
Participating providers for Starz
While the list above gives a few top TV providers, there are additional providers not listed that also participate. You can add on Starz online or by phone.
Compatible Devices with the Starz app
You can access the Starz app on a variety of different devices and platforms, including:
|Amazon devices||Kindle Fire Tablet 3rd generation or newer|
Kindle Fire Phone
Amazon Fire Stick
Amazon Fire TV
|Android Phone and Tablets||Android TV running Android 4.0.3 or newer|
|Apple TV||3rd generation or newer running tvOS 9 or newer|
|Computer Operating System||Microsoft Window 7 or newer|
Apple OSX 10.5.7 or newer
|Browsers||Current version of Edge|
Current version of Chrome
Current version of Firefox
Current version of Safari
|iPhone, iPad and iPod||iOS 8 or newer|
|Roku||2nd generation or newer|
|Smart TVs||Sony TVs running Android 5 or newer|
Select Samsung Smart TVs
What are the benefits of the Starz app?
- Stream on demand. With the Starz app, you can access and watch original series, and most movies. Additionally, you can enjoy full downloads and search through every big genre. Downloads can be watched anytime, anywhere — even offline.
- Free trial. If you want to try out Starz, you can take advantage of a free 7-day trial. To get the free trial, all you have to do is download the Starz app or sign up online.
- Multiple devices. You can enjoy Starz On Demand on multiple devices with many TV providers.
Pricing and packaging
While you have to purchase a Starz cable or satellite subscription, you can download the Starz app for free from the Apple App Store, Google Play Store, Roku Channel Store or PlayStation Store.
For access to Starz through the mobile app without a cable subscription, you can purchase a standalone plan for $8.99 per month. By purchasing the $8.99 per month subscription, you can then use the Starz app on any compatible devices. Subscriptions are paid in advance of the covered month.
To add Starz onto your cable or satellite package, you will have to contact your TV provider to find out specific pricing. On average, adding Starz on can cost anywhere from $10 to $29.99.
How many devices does a subscription support?
You can register a maximum of 4 devices at any one time. If you try to connect more than 4 devices, you’ll receive an error message. If you wish to add an additional device, you’ll have to delete one of the previously registered devices.
With a single Starz subscription, you can simultaneously watch different streaming content on up to two devices. If you’d like to watch more than two simultaneous streams, you’ll need to sign up for another Starz subscription at $8.99 per month.
How to get a free trial of the Starz streaming service
Start your 7-day free trial by using your Apple, Google Play or Roku ID. Simply create your Starz profile, and start streaming on a supported device. If you do not cancel your trial within the 7 days, you will be charged the $8.99 monthly subscription fee.
Pros and cons of Starz streaming subscription
Here are a few things you can expect from Starz streaming subscription:
- Starz streaming. The Starz streaming service comes with your Starz subscription.
- Media options. You can choose from the hottest and most popular movies and TV shows. Many are award-winning, and the hits of today’s pop culture.
- Family options. Starz also brings back the classics suitable for everyone in the family, like Monster’s Inc.
- Register multiple devices. You can register a maximum of 4 devices at any one time and can simultaneously watch different streaming content on up to two devices.
- Subscription required. In order to start streaming, you need to select your cable, satellite or telco company TV provider, and enter in your Starz account information. Or, you can subscribe to the streaming service as a stand-alone package.
- Internet connection. To stream with the Starz app, you need a high-speed Internet connection. It’s required that you have wired Internet connection, Wifi or 4G. The minimum required bandwidth is 2.5 Mbps, but 6 Mbps is recommended for the best experience.
- Internet connected device. Starz Play isn’t available on all Internet connected devices. In fact, it’s currently only available on a handful of devices. The network is working on adding more providers to the list.
STARZ shows and movies
Compare streaming services
Case study: Jennifer's experience
I first signed up for Starz streaming service because I’d heard good things about its original series Outlander and didn’t want to wait for it to hit Netflix. And then, as it goes, I just never got around to canceling it.
I think I pay around $9.99 a month for it (it’s bad that I can’t even remember anymore) and get access to its stream of free movies and TV shows each month. Occasionally, I’ll watch using the Starz app on my phone. But more often, I just access it through Amazon Video.
When it comes down to it, I’ve kept my subscription for two main reasons:
- I’ve been too lazy to cancel it.
- It typically gets new releases pretty fast.
But in all honesty, I wouldn’t say I access its shows or movies all that regularly anymore. So I actually think I might cancel it.