STARZ Networks offers STARZ Play, a streaming service that lets you watch hit movies and popular original series. You can stream from your computer or smart device.
STARZ Play Review
Can’t get enough of Outlander? STARZ Play is an app from the STARZ cable and satellite television network that allows you to stream their library of popular films and original television series. The network is a global media and entertainment company that operates under a subscription basis. With a STARZ cable or satellite subscription, you can enjoy the included streaming service, STARZ Play, for free. But not all hope is lost if you don’t subscribe with your TV provider. Without a subscription, you can stream from the STARZ Play app as a standalone package, for $8.99 per month. With STARZ Play, you can enjoy current or past episodes of STARZ Original Series.
Participating providers for STARZ Play
While the list above gives a few top TV providers, there are additional providers not listed that also participate. To add on STARZ, you can do so online, or by phone.
Compatible Devices with the STARZ Play app
You can access STARZ Play on a variety of different devices and platforms, including:
|Amazon devices||Kindle Fire Tablet 3rd generation or newer|
Kindle Fire Phone
Amazon Fire Stick
Amazon Fire TV
|Android Phone and Tablets||Running Android 4.0.3 or newer Android TV|
|Apple TV||4th generation Apple TV running tvOS 9 or newer|
|Computer Operating System||Microsoft Window 7 or newer|
Apple OSX 10.5.7 or newer
|Browsers||Current version of Edge|
Current version of Chrome
Current version of Firefox
Current version of Safari
|iPhone, iPad and iPod||iOS 8 or newer|
|Roku||2nd Generation or newer|
|Smart TVs||Sony TVs running Android 5 or newer|
Select Samsung Smart TVs
What are the benefits of STARZ Play?
- STARZ app. With the STARZ Play app, you can access and watch original series, and most movies. Additionally, you can enjoy full downloads, and search through every big genre. The app lets you download full movies and shows, and watch them anytime, anywhere – even offline.
- Free trial. If you want to try out STARZ, you can take advantage of a free 7-day trial. To get the free trial, all you have to do is download the STARZ app from the App Store, Google Play Store or Roku Channel Store. Then, start your 7-day free trial by using your Apple, Google Play or Roku ID. Simply create your STARZ profile, and start streaming on a supported device. If you do not cancel your trial within the 7 days, you will be charged the $8.99 monthly subscription fee.
- Multiple devices. You can enjoy STARZ On Demand on multiple devices with a lot of TV providers.
Pricing and packaging
While you have to purchase a STARZ cable or satellite subscription, you can download the STARZ app for free from the Apple App Store, Google Play Store, or from the Roku Channel Store.
For access to STARZ Play through the mobile app without a cable subscription, you can purchase a standalone plan for $8.99 per month. By purchasing the $8.99 per month subscription, you can subscribe to the STARZ app on Apple and Android smart devices, and Apple TV and Chromecast. You will pay for your subscription in advance of the covered month.
To add STARZ onto your cable or satellite package, you will have to contact your TV provider to find out specific pricing. On average, adding STARZ on can cost anywhere from $10 to $29.99, more or less.
Pros and Cons of STARZ Play Streaming SubscriptionHere are a few things you can expect from STARZ Play Streaming Subscription:
- STARZ Play streaming. STARZ Play comes with your STARZ subscription. It is the online streaming service that comes with participating providers.
- Media options. You can choose from the hottest and most popular movies and TV shows. Many are award-winning, and the hits of today’s culture.
- Family options. Not only does STARZ offer a lot of today’s popular movie options, but it also brings back the family classics that are suitable for everyone in the family, like Monster’s Inc.
- Subscription required. In order to start streaming, you need to select your cable, satellite, or telco company TV provider, and enter in your STARZ account information. Or, you can subscribe to the app as a stand-alone package.
- Internet connection. To stream with STARZ Play, you need a high-speed internet connection. It is required that you have wired Internet connection, Wifi, or 4G. The minimum required bandwidth is 2.5 Mbps, but 6 Mbps is recommended for the best experience.
- Internet Connected Device. STARZ Play is not available on all Internet Connected Devices. In fact, it is currently only accessible with a few devices. The network is working on adding more providers to the list.
You can search through movies by different genre. A few of the most popular movies you can stream include:
You can also search through each series by genre. A few genre options including: Popular, Originals, Kids, Classic TV, etc. The following are popular shows right now:
Frequently Asked Questions
Does STARZ offer closed captions?
STARZ Play offers “pop-up” closed captioning on every feature and program that was released the year of 1998 or later. Closed captions can also be in Spanish.
Can I stream STARZ on Roku?
Yes. Though STARZ is not automatically equipped with the Roku, you can download it from the Roku Channel Store. You can download the STARZ Play app from the Roku Channel Store to access STARZ original series, movies, and first-run films.
How much is the STARZ app?
If you do not have a STARZ satellite or cable subscription, you can purchase the app service for $8.99 per month. If you do have a subscription, the STARZ Play app is included for free.
What if I have an Internet Connected TV Device?
You can stream with STARZ through Chromecast, and through the Xbox 360 and Xbox One apps. The network is currently trying to add more devices that support Internet Connected Device streaming.
Does STARZ stream in HD?
Yes it does. You can stream select STARZ titles in HD, but only on Chromecast, Xbox 360, Xbox One, and the web platform on your HDCP compatible computer setup.