We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.
Roku TV and Media Streaming Devices
Roku offers a variety of devices with over 350,000 thousand movies and TV episodes to choose from, right at your fingertips.
Pros and cons
- One-time charge for each Roku. There is no monthly subscription fee for the actual device.
- Access to over 3,500 streaming channels, and over 350,000 TV episodes and movies.
- Mobile app that is packed with features, and lets you turn your phone into a streaming companion remote.
- You still have to pay to subscribe to some channels.
- Not all Roku remotes comes with headphones, or have the voice search feature.
The different types of Rokus
Each Roku player offers different features – some offering more advanced technology and benefits than others. While each digital player is easy to use and provides access to tons of channels, you can choose the Roku that works best with your lifestyle. You can decide between the Roku Express, Roku Express+, Roku Streaming Stick, Roku Premiere, Roku Premier+, or the Roku Ultra. Additionally, Roku, Inc. has a Roku TV. Roku, Inc. previously offered its devices by generation, i.e. Roku, Roku 2, Roku 3, and Roku 4. The company has since changed its available devices.
- Roku Express. The Roku Express streams in 1080p HD. It is fast, affordable, and includes an easy-to-use remote with channel shortcut buttons.
- Roku Express+. This device lets you turn your old TV into a smart TV. It can work with either HDMI or composite, and includes a remote with channel shortcut buttons.
- Roku Streaming Stick. The pocket-sized Roku Streaming Stick has a quad-core processor, is portable, and is great for wall-mounted TVs. This device also includes a point-anywhere remote.
- Roku Premiere. The Roku Premier has powerful streaming and 4K resolution. It also includes an easy-to-use remote with shortcut channel buttons. You can enjoy smooth streaming with a fast quad-core processor, and 802.11ac dual-band wireless.
- Roku Premier+. This powerful streaming device has 4K and HDR picture quality. The enhanced remote includes headphones for private listening, and is point-anywhere.
- Roku Ultra. The Roku Ultra is Roku, Inc.’s ultimate player. It has 4K and HDR picture quality, and advanced technology and features. With the Roku Ultra, you can enjoy a powerful quad-core processor, vibrant HD color, a lost remote finder, and a point-anywhere remote with voice search. The remote also includes headphones and gaming buttons.
- Roku TV. Roku TV is built for streaming, and can cast your smartphone’s music, photos, and videos right on to the TV screen. It has HD and 4K picture quality, and an enhanced remote with select models. The point-anywhere remote has voice search, and includes headphones. For Roku TV, you can choose from a variety of TV brands and screen sizes (24’’ to 65’’).
What are the benefits of Roku?
- Warranty. Every Roku device includes a 1 year warranty.
- No extra charges. You won’t have to worry about paying any monthly equipment rental fees, or monthly charges for owning a Roku. Each digital media player just requires a one-time, upfront cost that varies by the device.
- Easy steps to stream. You can start streaming in just a few steps. First, plug in the device. From there, you need to connect it to an HDTV with an HDMI cable, and then connect it to the internet. Lastly, create a Roku account, and start streaming.
- Options. With Roku, you can choose the device that best fits your needs. Once you decide on a device, you can choose what you want to watch from the thousands of media options. You can stream just about anything.
Pricing and packaging
You can buy a Roku online or in-store from most major sellers, including: Best Buy, Walmart, Target, Fry’s, Amazon, etc. If you choose to purchase a product on Roku, Inc.’s website, you can enjoy free shipping on orders over $50.
Pricing for each device varies, and works with a one-time, upfront charge:
|Roku Streaming Stick||$49.99|
Roku TVs differ in price and specifications
Compare streaming services
Case study: Dawn's experience
I like the simplicity of my Roku TV. The remote has a Netflix and a Hulu button, and I don’t have to worry about HDMI ports or settings to play my Nintendo Switch. Game console appears like another channel on my home screen.
I also like that I can use my phone as a remote, which is useful when the Roku remote is missing or my boyfriend has it and we disagree on what a reasonable volume is.
The only downside is that the Wi-Fi can sometimes take a few minutes to connect, and I’ve had to reconnect it a few times.
Top Streamable Channels
Each Roku is packed with over 350,000 movies and TV episodes to choose from.
The most popular streaming channels include:
The most popular TV shows include:
Frequently Asked Questions
Ask an Expert