Redbox On Demand streaming service review
This pay-as-you-go service gives you new movies and TV shows to rent and buy.
Known for DVD rentals from its red kiosks, Redbox On Demand offers movies and TV shows streaming on demand. It’s a pay-as-you-go service only, and if you already subscribe to another streaming service, you’ll find similar content here.
|Free trial||1 day|
|Number of devices||5|
Pros and Cons
- No subscription. Only pay for what you watch and avoid monthly service fees.
- Option to buy. Purchase option on titles you want to keep.
- Downloads. Watch later and on the go with its offline playback feature.
- Commercial-free. Watch your TV shows without ad interruptions.
- 10-minute preview. Find out if you’re really into a title by watching a short, free preview.
- Limitations with the app. Apple TV, iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch users can’t use the app for Redbox On Demand. You’ll have to visit redbox.com to rent or buy.
- Some titles only available for purchase. Not all movies are for rent — you’ll have to purchase some in order to watch.
- No more game rentals. As of December 2019, Redbox On Demand announced that they’ll be discontinuing their video game rental service.
What features does Redbox On Demand offer?Redbox On Demand offers a simple, streamlined way to watch movies and TV shows. Other features include:
Pizza and movie dealsRedbox On Demand partners with DoorDash, Slice Pizza and Chuck E. Cheese to combine dinner and movies for a night in.
Redbox On Demand points
Good for those who still visit its kiosks. Earn points every time you rent a movie and put them toward free rentals and purchases at the kiosk.
What devices is Redbox On Demand compatible with?
Access Redbox On Demand through your TV, phone and mobile devices. However, some iOS mobile products are incompatible with the Redbox On Demand app. Apple users should visit Redbox On Demand’s website to rent and buy movies.
Smart TV devices:
- Android TV
- Apple TV
- Samsung TV
- Vizio Smart TV
- iOS devices 10X and higher
- Android (5.0 Lollipop to 8.X Oreo)
Computers on Safari, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Edge,
- Mac — OS X El Capitan, OS X Sierra and OS X High Sierra
- Windows 7 and 10
How much does Redbox On Demand cost?Redbox On Demand movie rentals range from $1.99 for weekly deals, to $9.99 for new releases. If you decide to purchase a movie to keep in your library, you’ll pay between $7.99 and $14.99.
You can only purchase TV shows by season, with prices between $7.99 to $29.99. Prices depend on the number of episodes per season.
What can I watch with Redbox On DemandRedbox On Demand specializes in new content and has thousands of shows and movies to choose from. Some highlights:
- The Americans
- House of Cards
- New Girl
- The Simpsons
- The Shield
- Angry Birds 2
- The Art of Racing in the Rain
- Pets 2
- Pokemon: Detective Pikachu
- X-Men Dark Phoenix
Compare other streaming providers
Frequently asked questions
Shannon Terrell is a writer for finder.com who studied communications and English literature at the University of Toronto. On any given day, you can find her researching everything from equine financing and business loans to student debt refinancing and how to start a trust. She loves hot coffee, the smell of fresh books and discovering new ways to save her pennies.