Mubi review | Price, features and content
Stream riveting, carefully curated vintage and current films — each for a limited time.
Mubi first began in 2007 as an online social network for filmaholics. But by popular demand, Mubi began offering an online streaming service in 2010.
Mubi offers a small selection of hand-picked films that are designed to appeal to fans of classic, world and off-beat cinema. If you’re looking for blockbusters you won’t find them here — but if you love art films or like to indulge in great historical movies, then Mubi will bring them directly to your device for a low monthly price.
|Free trial||7 days|
|Number of devices||5|
Pros and cons of Mubi
- Diverse array of international and classic movies
- 7-day free trial
- Download selections to watch offline
- Low monthly cost
- No blockbusters
- No TV shows
What features does Mubi offer?
- Unique library of content. Titles are specially selected by a film curator and hail from eclectic genres such as cult classics, independents and classic cinema that you’re unlikely to see on other popular streaming platforms.
- A new film release every day. You can watch a new film every day for one month. This means that only 30 movies are available for streaming on any given day.
- Video-on-demand platform. Watch any movie any time.
- Live feed. Takes you into a “live” screening of the film of the day, without signing up.
- Seven-day free trial. Test the cinematic waters for one full week before deciding if Mubi is the one for you.
What devices is Mubi compatible with?
- PlayStation 4
- PlayStation 3
Tablet and mobile
- Android smartphones
- Android tablets
Smart TV, streaming media player, and other
- Samsung Smart TV
- Sony Bravia Smart TV
- Samsung Blu-ray players (UK and Ireland)
- Apple TV
- Google Chromecast
- Amazon Fire TV
- Amazon Fire Stick
How much does Mubi cost?
Mubi offers two billing choices: $10.99 per month, or 12 months outright for $98.55 — which works out to $7.99 per month. Either way, you can watch a hand-picked selection of 30 films, which will change after 30 days. That means Mubi introduces one new film every day.
What can I watch with Mubi?
Mubi curates a unique selection of films, from classics and lesser-known titles to eclectic genres, festival favorites and foreign films. Here’s a sample list of titles you could see:
- He Walked by Night — United States, 1948
- Chupke Chupke — India, 1975
- Take Me Somewhere Nice — The Netherlands, 2019
- On the Starting Line — France, 2019
- Crystal Swan — Belarus, 2018
- Bhumika: The Role — India, 1977
- Life is a Bed of Roses — France, 1983
- Cassandro, the Exotico! — France, 2018
- Fear City — United States, 1984
- In the Name of — Poland, 2013
How do I sign up for Mubi?
You can sign up with Mubi in a couple simple steps. Go to Mubi’s website and look for a button that reads Try 7 days free. Then follow the prompts and enter your information.
Compare streaming services
Frequently asked questions
Melanie Huddart joined Finder’s editorial team in 2017, helping to polish up content across niches that include home loans, share trading, shopping and travel. Melanie earned a BA in Specialized Honors English and a BEd from York University in Toronto, Canada. When she isn’t focused on making articles shine, you can find her hanging with her son and her dog, practicing yoga or searching for the next greatest beach.
Mubi appeals to a specific audience, and if you’re a cinema buff it’s a great addition to your streaming repertoire. If you are into classic cinema, finding new films or revisiting forgotten classics, then Mubi is absolutely for you.
But if you’re looking for blockbusters, or more recent popular content, then you might prefer another provider. Either way, Mubi does a great job in creating a simple package in a beautifully laid-out website that offers truly original content.