HBO GO is an on-demand video service provider that lets you watch your favorite HBO shows, popular movies, and more, from your computer or smart device.
If you love HBO shows, HBO GO lets you watch your favorite HBO TV episodes from anywhere. You can watch from your computer or even from your smart device. While HBO GO won’t give you access to cable or network shows, you can watch all HBO show episodes, movies, and some movies that aired on HBO.
Participating providers for HBO GO
|Time Warner Cable||DirecTV|
While the list above gives a few top TV providers, there are additional providers not listed that also participate.
Compatible Devices with the HBO GO app
|Amazon Fire TV||Android TV|
|Apple TV||Playstation 3|
|Samsung Smart TV||Tivo|
|Xbox 360||Xbox One|
What are the benefits of HBO GO?
- Online fast. With the streaming service, you can watch content usually within an hour of the live broadcast.
- No caps. There are no caps or limitations on the number of devices that can be linked to your account.
- Latino options. HBO offers tons of media content to choose from. HBO GO also has a section of the website dedicated to latino programs.
- Family shows. For the family, you can choose between a wide variety of kid-appropriate TV shows.
Pricing and packaging
HBO GO is completely free with your HBO subscription. If you do not have HBO, you will not be able to access the streaming service. To stream content for free, you will need to log in with your HBO TV provider credentials. Though HBO GO is free, you are still required to pay for the cable or satellite subscription. Some providers offer an HBO TV subscription for as little as $10 to $20.
If you do not have a subscription to HBO, you can purchase HBO Now for $15 a month, as a standalone package.
Pros and cons
- Access. You have access to every episode of your favorite HBO series, a variety of movie choices, and more. In fact, you can access any HBO episode, if it has already aired, or is airing.
- Exclusive content. As a member, you can watch exclusive interviews, and other behind-the-scenes content.
- Watchlists. You can set up your own watchlists, and customize your favorite shows to automatically be added to them.
- Need HBO subscription. To stream content for free through HBO GO, you will need an HBO subscription. You cannot access the media content any other way. If you are not subscribed to HBO with you provider, you can purchase HBO Now for $15 as a standalone package. Internet access is required to stream.
- HBO specific. With the streaming service, you will not have access to all classic movies and shows. Instead, your choices are limited to HBO-specific content only. HBO GO does not include network, cable, or classic TV shows.
HBO GO offers tons of TV show and movie options. You can choose to search through the shows all together, or by genre. The network also offers latino, and family shows.
The HBO website has a separate section for all of the movies available. Movies can also be viewed by genre, or all together. Shows and movies are organized in an alphabetized fashion. Popular HBO original series and films include the following:
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is HBO GO telling me to reactivate my device?
Some TV providers will have you authorize your account on your device periodically.
Can I watch my show with closed captions?
A majority of the available shows on HBO GO offer closed captions. Currently, closed captions are available on HBOGO.com for computers (or via browsers on some other devices), on supported iOS and Android devices, on certain Samsung Smart TVs, on Xbox, PlayStation, certain Roku devices, TiVo, and on certain Apple TVs.
Does my TV provider offer HBO GO on Internet Connected Devices?
You can check www.hbogo.com/#/devices to see if your device is supported.
If I use HBO GO with my Connected TV Device, will I have to pay an additional fee?
HBO GO is free with your HBO subscription.
Does HBO GO work with all Internet Connected TVs?
No, not all HBO TV providers support HBO GO on an Internet Connected TV. HBO GO, however, is always adding TV providers to the list.
How do I connect HBO GO to my Internet Connected TV?
According to HBO GO’s website,
Download HBO GO from the app store or marketplace of your device.
Launch HBO GO on your device.
Click the ‘Activate Your Device’ button – the next screen should show you your activation code.
Navigate to www.hbogo.com/activate
Select your TV provider.
On the Activate a Device screen, enter the code displayed on your television (from step 3), click the ‘Activate’ button.
You should see a ‘Success!’ message on both your television and your browser.
You are ready to start streaming video on HBO GO!