HBO Go Review – Access your HBO subscription from the app
HBO Go is an on-demand video service provider that lets you watch your favorite HBO shows, popular movies, and more, from your computer or smart device.
If you love HBO shows, HBO Go lets you watch your favorite HBO TV episodes from anywhere. You can watch from your computer or even from your smart device. While HBO Go won’t give you access to cable or network shows, you can watch all HBO show episodes, movies, and some movies that aired on HBO.
Participating providers for HBO Go
- Time Warner Cable
- Charter Communications
While the list above gives a few top TV providers, there are additional providers not listed that also participate.
Compatible Devices with the HBO Go app
- Amazon Fire TV
- Android TV
- Apple TV
- Playstation 3
- Playstation 4
- Samsung Smart TV
- Xbox 360
- Xbox One
What are the benefits of HBO Go?
- Online fast. With the streaming service, you can watch content usually within an hour of the live broadcast.
- No caps. There are no caps or limitations on the number of devices that can be linked to your account.
- Latino options. HBO offers tons of media content to choose from. HBO Go also has a section of the website dedicated to latino programs.
- Family shows. For the family, you can choose between a wide variety of kid-appropriate TV shows.
Pricing and packagingHBO Go is completely free with your HBO subscription. If you do not have HBO, you will not be able to access the streaming service. To stream content for free, you will need to log in with your HBO TV provider credentials. Though HBO Go is free, you are still required to pay for the cable or satellite subscription. Some providers offer an HBO TV subscription for as little as $10 to $20.
If you do not have a subscription to HBO, you can purchase HBO Now for $14.99 a month, as a standalone package.
Pros and cons
- Access. You have access to every episode of your favorite HBO series, a variety of movie choices, and more. In fact, you can access any HBO episode, if it has already aired, or is airing.
- Exclusive content. As a member, you can watch exclusive interviews, and other behind-the-scenes content.
- Watchlists. You can set up your own watchlists, and customize your favorite shows to automatically be added to them.
- Need HBO subscription. To stream content for free through HBO Go, you will need an HBO subscription. You cannot access the media content any other way. If you are not subscribed to HBO with you provider, you can purchase HBO Now for $14.99 as a standalone package. Internet access is required to stream.
- HBO specific. With the streaming service, you will not have access to all classic movies and shows. Instead, your choices are limited to HBO-specific content only. HBO Go does not include network, cable, or classic TV shows.
Top showsHBO Go offers tons of TV show and movie options. You can choose to search through the shows all together, or by genre. The network also offers latino, and family shows.
The HBO website has a separate section for all of the movies available. Movies can also be viewed by genre, or all together. Shows and movies are organized in an alphabetized fashion. HBO has a long history of producing quality content, so if you’re not sure where you should get started, check out our guide to the 20 best HBO shows of all time.
Compare streaming services
Case study: Zak's experience
HBO Go completely changed the way I watched television, and the experience is only improving. Here are some of the cornerstone features that I enjoy most about HBO Go:
- Shows are added to the app at the same time they air on cable.
- You can create a robust watchlist of shows and movies to view later.
- HBO Go is available on almost any device, from SmartTVs to tablets to smartphones.