We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.
Wells Fargo ExpressSend wire transfers review
Secure, affordable money transfers to 13 countries in Latin America and Asia.
Wells Fargo’s ExpressSend lets you send money to 13 Latin American and Asian countries through Wells Fargo’s network members. Transfer money directly to your recipient’s bank account or make it available for pickup at an agent location.
How much will I pay to transfer money with Wells Fargo?
It’s free to sign up for the ExpressSend Service and there are no ongoing account fees or any charges that must be paid by your beneficiary. However, a transaction fee does apply to every transfer and the amount of this fee varies depending on where you are sending your money. For example, sending $1,000 to China will attract a $7 transfer fee while sending the same amount to India will not attract a fee.
Use the Transfer Cost Estimator on the Wells Fargo website to calculate the fee that will apply to your transaction. In addition, this fee can be discounted if you open an eligible Wells Fargo checking account.
Who charges less?Independent transfer services usually win out over banks when it comes to fees. There are several providers who will send a transfer for free with competitive exchange rates, including OFX and XE.
The exchange rate you will receive for your transaction varies according to the amount you send and where you’re sending it. Wells Fargo makes money off both transfer fees and converting US dollars to other currencies.
Which countries can I send money to with Wells Fargo?
Wells Fargo allows you to transfer funds to the following countries with ExpressSend:
- El Salvador
- Dominican Republic
See how other services compare to Wells Fargo
Use our comparison calculator to assess transfer fees, exchange rates and other details for sending funds overseas with our money transfer partners.
What types of transfers can I make with Wells Fargo?
You have two options when it comes to sending money internationally with Wells Fargo:
- ExpressSend. Make one-time transfers that can go directly to a bank account or be picked up in cash.
- Wire transfer. Make one-time bank-to-bank transfers.
Wells Fargo offers cash pickup from a receiving institution and online transfer to a bank account with a receiving institution.
Depending on where you are sending your money, your transaction will be handled in conjunction with Wells Fargo’s transfer network member in that region. For example, transfers to the Dominican Republic are offered through Banco BHD Leon, Banco del Progreso and Banreservas, while transfers to China are handled by the Agricultural Bank of China.
It’s important to note that the first transfer you send under any ExpressSend service agreement must be completed at a branch or, for eligible customers, over the phone. Subsequent transactions can then be completed over the phone, online or in a branch.
Alternatively, if you wish to send funds for business purposes, you may like to investigate the wire transfer and foreign bank draft options available from Wells Fargo.
What are the transfer limits?
Wells Fargo allows you to send a minimum of $25 when using its ExpressSend feature. The daily maximum amount you can send is $5,000, and the maximum for a consecutive 30-day period is $12,500.
Daily limits will also vary among partnered network members, and range from $500–$5,000. Some network members also have monthly maximums and transaction limits. As an example, Bancomer in Mexico has the following limits:
- $500 per day for cash pickup
- $1,500 per day for credit to account
- $1,000 per calendar month for cash pickup
- $5,000 per 15 consecutive days and $10,000 per calendar month for credit to account
- Five transactions per seven consecutive days
- 15 transactions per 30 consecutive days
Pros and cons of sending money with Wells Fargo
- Trusted bank. With a long history and an extensive list of awards to its name, Wells Fargo is a name you can trust in banking and international transfers.
- Transfer options. You can lodge your international money transfer online, over the phone or by visiting a Wells Fargo branch.
- Low minimum. With a minimum transfer amount of $25, Wells Fargo’s ExpressSend Service is great for those who only want to send small amounts of money.
- Send from your bank account. Funds are sent from your eligible Wells Fargo checking or savings account, meaning it’s quick and easy to start sending international money transfers.
- Not worldwide. ExpressSend transfers money to 13 countries in Asia and Latin America only.
- Not for business purposes. Wells Fargo’s ExpressSend service is not available for business payments.
How can I send money overseas with Wells Fargo?
Sending money overseas with Wells Fargo’s ExpressSend is quick and easy. The first time you use ExpressSend, you’ll need to set up the transaction at Wells Fargo branch or by phone. You can initiate subsequent transfers online, over the phone or at your local branch.
To get started, give the bank a call or drop in at your local branch to discuss your transfer requirements. You’ll then need to complete an ExpressSend Service Agreement, which includes:
- Your recipient’s name, address and phone number, along with the transfer network member to which your money should be sent.
- How you’d like your recipient to receive the money you send — either deposited directly into their bank account or made available for cash pickup.
Steps to transfer your money online
To use ExpressSend online, you need a Wells Fargo checking or savings account and an ExpressSend Service Agreement naming your recipient. If you don’t have either, you can open an account or sign an agreement at a bank branch or by phone. However, you can’t open an account online.
To review whether Wells Fargo sends to a particular country, follow the steps below.
Does Zelle work with Wells Fargo?
It does. The peer-to-peer payment platform is available via Wells Fargo’s mobile app and website. To transfer money domestically to other Zelle accounts, you need to:
- Log in and click on Transfer and Pay.
- Select Send Money with Zelle.
- Follow the onscreen steps to register yourself and select who you want to send money to.
How can I track my money transfer with Wells Fargo?
If you need to keep track of a transfer you can provide your transaction reference number to Wells Fargo or the receiving institution.
Wells Fargo also offers phone and email customer service 24 hours a day, seven days a week, meaning that help is on hand whenever you need it. You can reach customer service for ExpressSend at any time by calling 800-556-0605. Alternatively, you can make use of a handy frequently asked questions section on the ExpressSend website to find the answers you need. Your local branch may also be able to provide you with the support you need.
Wells Fargo SWIFT/BIC information
|Bank name||SWIFT/BIC||Bank address||Recipient’s name||Recipient’s account number|
|Wells Fargo||WFBIUS6S||420 Montgomery Street, San Francisco, CA 94104||Beneficiary’s name as it appears on the bank statement||Complete bank account number|
What is Wells Fargo?
With thousands of home mortgage offices across the US and 70 million customers globally, Wells Fargo is one of the world’s largest banks. Among its services is ExpressSend, which you can use to send money to Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean and Asia.
If you need to send an international money transfer to Asia or Latin America, the ExpressSend Service from Wells Fargo offers a simple and effective solution. However, you should make sure to compare its features with those of other transfer providers to ensure that you get the fastest and most affordable service.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert