We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.
Walmart international money transfers
A secure way to send money to over 190 countries.
Thanks to Walmart’s partnership with MoneyGram, you can now send money online or from your local store to be picked up at any Walmart store in the US or Puerto Rico or at any one of more than 350,000 MoneyGram locations around the world — but watch out for unfavorable exchange rates and high fees.
Transfer funds online, by mobile app or at an agent location
Walmart offers several ways to make your transfer and a few payment methods. Transferring at an agent location requires cash, so be sure to withdraw what you need before heading in. Fees vary widely based on several factors and can reach as high as $100, so it’s important to review your transfer request before submitting it.
Walmart is best for:
- Quick transfers. Transfers by debit and credit card can go through in mere minutes.
- Easy process. Signing up online is fast and easy.
- One-off transfers. Currently there aren’t any options for recurring international transfers.
How much does it cost to send money with Walmart?
The fees attached to your international money transfer will vary depending on where you send your money, the amount you send and your payment method. Fees are typically under $20 but can be as high as $100 and you can review any fee before completing your transfer.
Walmart’s exchange rates are set by MoneyGram, which is typically at least 5% above the mid-market rate. These rates are updated regularly to reflect changing market conditions, so it’s always a good idea to compare the exchange rate available using this service with the rates offered by banks and other money transfer companies.
Compare Walmart money transfers with other global brands
What types of transfers can I make with Walmart?
Walmart allows you to make:
- One-off transfers. Send a single transfer online, using the Walmart mobile app or in-store at a Walmart or MoneyGram location.
- Money orders. Request a money order.
- Top-up mobile phones. Send mobile top-ups to more than 350 mobile carriers.
Available currencies and countries
You can send same-day transfers to more than 190 countries around the world. Some of the currencies that are supported include:
- United Arab Emirates dirham
- Australian dollar
- Canadian dollar
- Swiss franc
- Hong Kong dollar
- Indian rupees
- Japanese yen
- South Korean won
- Kuwaiti dinar
- Mexican peso
- Philippine peso
- Polish zloty
- Singapore dollar
- Thailand baht
- South African rand
What are the transfer limits?
Walmart allows transfers of up to $2,500 per transfer. Every 30 calendar days also has a maximum transfer amount of $6,000. This limit can be circumvented by visiting a Walmart or MoneyGram agent location.
How do I send money abroad with Walmart?
Sending money overseas with Walmart can be done online or in-store.
- Online transfer by website or app. Register an account and add your recipient’s details. Pay with a credit or debit card, or by bank account.
- In-store transfer. Bring cash to any Walmart along with your recipient’s details. You’ll need to account for transfer fees along with the amount you want to transfer.
Your recipient can also access the funds in a couple of ways. They can pick up the cash at any Walmart store in the United States or Puerto Rico, or they can pick it up at any one of more than 350,000 MoneyGram agent locations around the world.
What is Walmart?
Walmart is an American retail giant and was founded in Arkansas in 1962. Since Sam Walton opened his first store more than 50 years ago, Walmart has grown into a worldwide business with operations in 28 countries around the world. With 11,000 stores and e-commerce websites in 11 countries, Walmart is visited by more than 245 million customers each week.
Though best known for its department stores, Walmart also offers a wide range of financial products and services to customers through the Walmart Money Center. From credit cards and insurance to money orders and bill paying, Walmart’s range of products offers solutions for a variety of needs.
In addition to international money transfers, it also offers its Walmart2Walmart money transfer service for transfers within the US.
What other products does Walmart offer?
- Transfers within the US. Walmart2Walmart money transfers allow you to send funds quickly and easily to any Walmart store in the US or Puerto Rico.
- Walmart Credit Card. The Walmart Credit Card features no annual fee and allows cardholders to access a wide range of special discounts.
- Walmart MoneyCard. Choose from four prepaid Visa or Mastercard options to help you manage your finances.
- Bluebird. This financial account offers a range of flexible features and money management tools to help you stay on top of your day to day finances.
- Bill Pay Service. Pay your utilities, credit card bill, mortgage and more at your local Walmart.
- Rapid Reload. Quickly reload a wide selection of popular prepaid cards at your local Walmart store.
What do customers say about Walmart?
Walmart is accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and holds a rating of A+ with a composite score of 3.75 out of 5. Since it works alongside MoneyGram for international money transfers, it should be noted that MoneyGram currently has a score of NR (No Rating) with BBB and is not accredited.
How does Walmart Online protect my money?
Walmart strives to protect your banking information and to keep you safe from identity theft. As the world’s largest retailer, it’s able to safely transfer money to your friends and family in more than 190 countries.
- Secure connection. Verified by Symantec, Walmart’s site employs a system of physical and administrative security measures.
- Experience. For online money transfers, Walmart partners with MoneyGram, a licensed money transmitter that’s completed millions of transactions since 1940.
- Verification. For every transaction, you confirm your identity by entering the last four digits of your Social Security number.
- Accountability. Walmart is publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange.
How do I report suspicious activity to Walmart Online?
Walmart Online will never email you to confirm passwords, transaction details or personal information. If you are the recipient of an email from someone claiming to be Walmart Online, do not respond. If you’re wary about an email or phone call, call the Walmart MoneyGram hotline at 1-888-988-5726.
Walmart provides both phone and email support for questions regarding its money transfer service. You can call 1-800-689-8307 about a specific transaction, or 1-800-666-3947 if you have a general question.
Shopping for an alternative? Compare these services to Walmart for sending money to someone.
Frequently asked questions about Walmart money transfers
Ask an Expert