We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.
How to send money to Vanuatu
Wondering how to send money to Vanuatu from the US? Here's the info you need.
Why we like: WorldRemit
Send money to 140+ countries for bank deposit, instant e-wallet, mobile top-up or cash pickup at 30,000+ agent locations worldwide.
Your first transfer is free with the code FINDER.
- Low upfront fees and exchange rates.
- Easy to use with round-the-clock help.
- Get cash to family and friends in minutes.
Compare money transfer providers
How do international money transfers work?
International money transfers allow you to convert one currency into another. You simply provide funds to a bank or independent transfer provider. They will exchange your dollars into your desired currency before sending it to your recipient in Vanuatu.
The process can be completed online, over the phone or in person. Depending on your situation and your recipient’s situation, you can perform a bank-to-bank transfer or have your recipient pick up cash.
Banks versus international money transfer companies
Banks may seem like the obvious option when performing a financial transaction, but they often give consumers worse exchange rates and charge higher fees than an international money transfer company. You can save money by sending funds through one of these services, which will save you money and get your recipient more vatus.
This sample table will show you how much you can save when transferring $1,000.
|Big bank||Money transfer company 1||Money transfer company 2|
|Exchange rate||1 USD = 100.00997 VUV||1 USD = 107.85 VUV||1 USD = 106.27 VUV|
|Amount received minus the transfer fee||100,009.97 VUV||107,840.00 VUV||106,240.00 VUV|
|Transfer time||2-4 business days||1-2 business days||In minutes|
|Transfer options||Bank account deposit||Bank account deposit||Bank account deposit and cash pickup|
Foreign exchange rates explained
Exchange rates are determined by a number of factors, the most important being economic stability of the nations being compared and inflation. The US dollar (USD) is traditionally quite strong against the Vanuatu vatu (VUV), meaning you will receive more vatu for every dollar transferred.
How do I compare money transfer companies?
By comparing a few elements of your transfer, you can ensure that you get the cheapest deal for your needs.
- Exchange rates. Nearly all providers skew exchange rates for a profit. Compare the rate you’re offered to the mid-market rate—the rate banks and transfer services use when they trade among themselves—and look for the smallest margin between them.
- Transfer fees. Find out whether the provider charges a flat fee or a percentage of your transfer. If you’re sending a large amount, ask whether you qualify for a fee-free transfer.
- Payment and delivery options. Some transfer companies allow you to pay with a credit card online, by phone or through an app. Others offer agent locations for cash payments and pickups. Also ask how your recipient can receive their funds: bank account, cash pickup, mobile wallet and more.
- Transfer speeds. If it needs to be there fast, companies like Western Union and MoneyGram allow for quick cash pickups, often in minutes. If you have more time, you’ll get better rates and fees with an independent provider.
- Transfer limits. Your best option might depend on how much you want to send. For large transfers, weigh the best exchange rate, especially since providers encourage large transfers by offering low fees. For smaller amounts, consider the fees you’ll pay on top of the exchange rate.
- Flexible transfer options. Ask whether you can schedule payments ahead of time or protect your transfer against market fluctuations with a limit order or forward contract.
- Customer support. Most companies offer customer service by Internet chat, phone, in person or by email. Make sure help will be available if you need it.
What are my options for sending money to Vanuatu from the US?
- Bank transfers. Many major US banks can safely wire your funds to countries around the world. Banks rely on existing links between banks and banking systems worldwide. However, there will be higher fees and weaker exchange rates versus what you’ll receive by going through your bank.
- Online money transfer services. These specialists offer more affordable transfers than banks do, allowing you to quickly and easily manage your transactions from home. With competitive exchange rates and lower fees, you can send funds from your bank account. Many also allow you to pay with a credit or debit card.
- Providers with cash pickup. Trusted providers like Western Union and MoneyGram offer the key advantage of giving your recipient fast access to the cash you send — sometimes within minutes. You can often pay online or at one of the thousands of agent locations worldwide. However, services typically cost more than an online transfer specialist and vary by where you’re transferring your money and how you’re paying for it.
- PayPal transfers. Not just for online purchases, PayPal offers transfers to more than 100 countries and supports multiple currencies. Its exchange rates are often better than those you’ll get from a bank but not quite as strong as rates from money transfer companies. PayPal calculates its transfer fee as a percentage of the amount you’re sending — meaning it’s often better for sending smaller amounts of money.
- International money order. You can get this type of money order from your bank and send it overseas to your recipient, who then cashes it in with their bank. While more secure than a personal check, it’s a slower option than using an electronic transfer. It also costs a little more. You’ll have to purchase the check, and your recipient may be charged a fee by their bank cashed.
How to send money to Vanuatu
Sending money isn’t a complex process, and many international money transfer companies seek to make it as simple as possible. Because Vanuatu vatus are a rare currency, your options will be limited. Check out table above for a list of services that exchange USD for VUV.
- Select a provider and click Go to Site to register.
- Provide your name, contact information and proof of identity.
- Enter your bank account information if you’re not paying with cash.
- Provide your recipient’s name, contact information and bank account details.
- Save your receipt and tracking number.
- Wait for your transfer to complete.
That’s it! Once your recipient confirms they have the funds you sent, you’re finished until you need to make another transfer.Back to top
Tips for picking up cash in Vanuatu
Follow a few simple steps to ensure that you and your money stay safe:
- Avoid any areas where crime is known to be a problem.
- Keep your wallet and/or bag safe and secure at all times.
- Take a friend along to provide additional security and peace of mind.
- Don’t bring out your cash in public.
- Don’t carry large sums of money longer than necessary.
Emergency cash transfers to Vanuatu
If your recipient needs to pay an urgent bill and needs cash as soon as possible, there are emergency transfers available. However, you will likely have to pay an additional fee for the quick service, and the transfer service is unlikely to give you a good exchange rate. This is a worst-case scenario transfer. If you and your recipient can wait a few days, you can save money and transfer more.
Ask an Expert