Find out which online money transfer company you can use to send money to Vanuatu.
Even though Australian banks ANZ and Westpac have a presence in Vanuatu, going through your bank may not be the cheapest way transfer funds. If speed is a factor, Western Union and MoneyGram can send cash quick — for a price. We put all these factors side by side in our comparison below.
Save money on your personal or business international money transfer today. Fill in the form and you’ll be contacted by a foreign exchange expert to have an obligation-free discussion about your options.
With over 17 years of foreign exchange expertise and over $100 billion transferred, OFX can help with all your currency exchange needs, including:
- Buying property abroad
- Regular overseas payments
- Risk management
- If the provider quotes a different rate to the one above please let us know
Banks versus international money transfer companies
You can see the price compared to the speed factor in the table below.
|Bank of America||Money transfer company – Worldfirst||International cash payment service – Western Union|
|Exchange rate||USD 1 = 0.00997 VUV||1 USD = 107.85 VUV||1 USD = 106.27 VUV|
|Transfer fee||$7.50 USD||$10 USD||Depends on amount sending|
|Amount received for $1000 USD (in Vanuatu vatu)||100,300.90 VUV||107,849.70 VUV||106275.00 VUV|
|Transfer time||2 – 4 business days||2 – 3 business days||In minutes|
|Transfer options||Bank account deposit||Bank account deposit||Cash|
Correct 12/08/156 9:06AMBack to top
How do I compare money transfer companies?
Have a look at these different features when you’re comparing quotes to send money to Vanuatu.
- Exchange rate. First look to see whether you can exchange dollars to vatu. Then check what rate the provider can offer.
- Transfer fee. An additional charge to send money to Vanuatu. Compare the exchange rate of first transfer free offers. The transfer fee can be included through an inflated forex margin.
- Pick up method. Pick up methods include cash collection and bank account deposits.
- Payment method. You can send money to Vanuatu online by paying for your transfer using your credit or debit card. You can also pay cash at a Western Union or MoneyGram agent.
- Transfer time. The transfer time varies depending on the payment and collection methods. Cash transfers can be collected right away whereas bank account transfers can take up to a couple of days to clear.
- Transfer limits. Compare transfer limits if you’re looking to send less than $100 or more than $5,000.
- Transfer options. Most providers can arrange a one off payment; however, not all providers offer limit orders, rate targeting and forward contracts.
- Customer service. Can you contact the provider outside of business hours if you have an issue with your money transfer to Vanuatu. The provider should also give you the means to track you order once you’ve paid for the transaction.
How do I send money to Vanuatu from America?
Even though Vanuatu is geographically close to the United States, there are only a few money transfer companies you can use to send money to Vanuatu.
To send money to a bank account in Vanuatu, log on to your online banking facility and look for the international payments menu. You may need to create a new beneficiary if this is your first payment. The exchange rate is displayed at the time of the transaction and transfer fees apply. Bank to bank transfers can take up to 6 business days.
- If you’re a Westpac customer, you can send money to Vanuatu for half the transfer fee when you request an overseas telegraphic transfer at a Westpac branch.
International cash payment service
These companies can send cash to Vanuatu in minutes. Log on to the provider’s website and make a payment using your credit or debit card. Send the reference code to the recipient so they can collect the cash.
- Western Union. Western Union have 4 cash agents in Port-Vila, Vanuatu’s largest city and 3 agents in Luganville, the 2nd largest city.
- MoneyGram. MoneyGram have fewer agents in Vanuatu than Western Union. Both companies have a similar fee structure.
Online money transfer companies
Online foreign exchange and payment providers can exchange the United States dollars and send money to a bank account in Vanuatu. These companies can be cheaper than the banks or international cash payment providers, and rates are closer to the interbank rate too.
- OFX – Send money to Vanuatu using OFX. OFX offer personal and business international payment services. Funds can be delivered to a Vanuatu bank account in 2 – 3 business days.
- World First – World First offer a simple fee structure and a competitive rate, book options and forward orders as well as one off spot contracts to Vanuatu.
How do I receive money from Vanuatu in the United States?
You have these options to receive funds from Vanuatu in America.
- Bank account. Provide your bank’s SWIFT code, your BSB, account name, number and address to receive money in your bank account. You may be charged a fee for receiving money from Vanuatu into your United States bank account and you should receive an email from your bank once the money has been credited to your account.
- Cash payment. Provide the reference number and photographic identification such as your passport to collect a cash payment from Vanuatu. You may want to ring ahead if you’re planning to pick up a large amount of cash.
Emergency cash transfers in Vanuatu
There are a couple of options to get cash sent quickly from America.
|International cash payment.||Western Union and MoneyGram both have agents in Vanuatu. There are about a dozen merchants in Port-Vila and Luganville such as Westpac bank where cash can be collected. Funds are ready to collect minutes after the transaction has been paid for in America.|
|Emergency cash assistance.||Your card provider may be able to make the funds in your account available as cash if your card is lost or stolen. Contact your card provider to start the process. It can take a day to process a request for emergency cash assistance.|
|Travel insurance.||Your travel insurance provider may be able to issue cash in the event of a covered emergency. Check your policy’s product disclosure statement for further information.|
Tips for picking up cash in Vanuatu
Take normal safety precautions when you’re visiting Vanuatu. Smartraveller.gov.au advises instances of robbery, assault and sexual assault against foreigners do occur; however, the crime rate in Vanuatu is low. Take precautions if you’re picking up cash: travel in a group, carry a money belt, speak to the hotel to arrange an escort. International hotels should be able to provide some assistance if you’re concerned about traveling alone to collect money.
Back to top
What are the steps to send money to Vanuatu?
As well as the receiver’s bank account information you’ll also need the following details to send money to Vanuatu.
- SWIFT BIC Address
- Bank country
- Bank city
- Bank name
Online money transfer company.
If you want to send money to Vanuatu using one of the money transfer companies we’ve mentioned on this page, you’ll need to create an account to start the transfer. Provide the following information to register for a free account.
- Personal details, i.e. D.O.B
- Contact information, i.e. home or mobile phone number
- Residency details
- Identification. You may be required to send a copy of your passport to verify your identification.
You’ll be provided with a tracking number you can use to monitor the status of your money transfer following payment for the transaction.