Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
How to send money to Peru
Compare exchange rates, transaction fees and transfer options when you need to send a fast and affordable money transfer to Peru.
If you’re looking to send money from the US to Peru, keep the process simple by comparing your money transfer options. Converting US dollars to Peruvian sols doesn’t have to be pricey, and when your loved one is in need of a little extra, you could have money to them within a few days.
Send money to Peru with Remitly
Special offers like free transfers and better exchange rates available for new customers.
Quick, affordable transfers around the world with both express and economy options.
- Transfer to 50+ countries around the world
- Express option so your money arrives in minutes
- Delivery promise where fees are refunded if it doesn't arrive on time
Compare money transfer services to Peru
Banks versus money transfer companies
Most people think of their bank first when considering money transfers, but this might not be the best idea. Banks often charge high fees for even small transfers, and you usually won’t get the best exchange rate — especially when you’re looking to send an exotic currency like the sol.
On the other hand, money transfer companies have lower fees, better exchange rates and faster service. You will likely be able to find a better deal by comparing them, and you may be able to send much more money to your loved one in Peru.
Case Study: Gloria Sends Money to Peru
Gloria wants to send $1,000 from New York to her sister in Lima. She has an account big bank in the US, but after learning they don’t offer exchanges with exotic currencies, she decides to shop around for a money transfer provider to try to find a better deal.
|Money transfer provider 1||Money transfer provider 2|
|Exchange rate||$1 USD = $3.253 PEN||$1 USD = $3.262 PEN|
|Processing time||1 to 3 days||1 to 3 days|
|Amount received (in PEN)||S/ 3,253.00||S/ 3,262.00|
As you can see, Gloria can send more using the second transfer company and can also save $10 in transfer fees.
How do I compare transfer companies when sending money to Peru?
- Exchange rates. Shop around to find a transfer provider that offers better exchange rates than its competitors. However, make sure those great rates don’t also come with high transfer fees attached.
- Transaction fees. Check the fine print to see how much it will cost you each time you send a transfer; it’s also a good idea to find out whether you can avoid paying a fee if you transfer a large sum of money.
- How easy it is to use. Can you place transfers online or by visiting a branch? Are there other convenient options available, such as placing transfers over the phone or using a free mobile app?
- Flexible transfer options. Can you lock in an ideal exchange rate now and transfer the money later, known as a forward contract? Does the institution offer limit orders, which allows you to take advantage of changing market conditions by executing the money transfer when a certain exchange rate is met? Can you schedule recurring payments?
- Turnaround time. Compare transaction processing times to see which company can get your money to Peru the fastest, but remember that quick transfers usually cost more.
- Minimum and maximum transfer amounts. Some providers impose minimum and maximum transaction limits. Check to see if these limits will affect you.
- Cash collection options. Does the provider offer bank account transfers or a cash pickup option?
- Customer service. Are phone and email support offered? Is there an online help center and live online chat if you need immediate assistance?
Foreign exchange rates explained
Banks and money transfer companies use exchange rate to calculate how much one currency is worth when converted to the currency of another country. The US dollar is strong against the Peruvian sol. This means $1 will yield more when exchanged for sols. However, this amount can change daily based on global economic stability, interest rates and inflation.
What are my options for sending money to Peru from the US?
- Specialist money transfer companies. Online transfer companies, like WorldRemit and OFX, offer fast and convenient transfers to countries all around the world.
- Cash pickup transfer companies. Providers such as Western Union and MoneyGram offer convenient cash pickup transfers to Peru.
- Bank transfers. Some banks may send money transfers to Peru, but this option is usually more expensive than money transfer companies.
- International checks. Another option is to obtain an international check from your bank and mail it to your beneficiary in Peru.
What are the steps to send money to Peru?
- Compare your money transfer options. You can money transfer companies in the table above to find one that fits your needs.
- Sign up for an account with a transfer provider. Registering is usually free and can be done online. You’ll need to provide your name, contact details and a valid form of photo ID.
- Provide transaction information. The next step is to enter all the details of your transfer, including who you’re sending money to, where they live, how much money you’re sending and in which currency.
- Complete your transaction. The last step in the process is to review the transfer details, pay for your transaction and keep hold of any receipt you are given so that you can track your transfer.
Back to top
Emergency cash transfers in Peru
If you need to send money to Peru as quickly as possible, some companies offer rapid international transfers in as little as 10 minutes. However, fast transfers usually don’t come cheap, and you can expect the transaction to cost extra thanks to low exchange rates and high transfer fees. With this in mind, make sure that you take a close look at the full cost of your transaction before deciding whether it is a cost-effective transfer option.
Cash pickup locations in Peru
Read more on this topic
US remittance statistics We've unpacked the most recently available data from the World Bank to get an idea of how much money is being sent around the globe.
Best ways to send money online Navigate the world of sending money domestically and internationally with our hand-picked list of popular services.
XE vs. OFX money transfers Check out this side-by-side comparison of XE and OFX to find out which provider offers the best value on international money transfers.
Alternatives to InstaReM Find the best alternative websites to InstaReM for online money transfers.
XE vs. Western Union We compare XE's and Western Union’s fees, exchange rates and transfer speeds side by side.
Remitly vs. PayPal Compare a well-known payments giant to the newer Remitly and see which one can give you a better deal.
Remitly vs. TransferWise Remitly and TransferWise’s fees, exchange rates and speeds compared side by side.
How to send money to Guinea Compare the services that send money to Guinea. Find out how to get the best value for your money, how long it takes and what to look out for.
Best places to exchange currency in Sydney Your guide to currency exchange services in Sydney, including where to find the best exchange rates and lowest fees.
Best places to exchange currency in Winnipeg Looking for the best deal on Canadian dollars in Winnipeg? Compare popular services and access handy tips to get the most out of your next transfer.
Ask an Expert