We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.
How to send money to New Caledonia
Here’s how to send a quick, affordable and secure money transfer to New Caledonia.
Our pick: OFX International Money Transfers
OFX offers flexible transfer options, 24/7 customer support and no maximum limit. Send a minimum of $1,000 per year.
- $0 transfer fees. Send fee-free transfers to over 195 countries worldwide.
- Transfers in 55 currencies. OFX supports major, minor and exotic currencies.
- Flexible options. Choose from forward contracts to scheduled transfers for convenience and flexibility.
How do international money transfers work?
An international money transfer allows you to send money to a recipient overseas. Generally, a transfer involves you providing funds to a bank or an independent transfer provider, which then sends the money to your recipient in New Caledonia. This can be done in person or oftentimes online. You can use cash or transfer funds from your bank account, which will then either be deposited into your recipient’s bank account are made available as cash for them to pick up at a location in their country.
Compare international money transfers companies to New Caledonia
How to compare transfer companies when sending money to New Caledonia
When comparing your options, pay attention to these factors:
- Exchange rates. How do each company’s exchange rates compare to the competition?
- Fees. How much will you have to pay to send the transfer? Can you avoid a transfer fee if you send a larger amount?
- Transfer methods. Can transfers be placed online, over the phone, by visiting a branch and/or by using a mobile app?
- Transfer options. Can you lock in an ideal exchange rate now and transfer the money later, known as a forward contract? Does the institution offer limit orders, which allows you to take advantage of changing market conditions by executing the money transfer when a certain exchange rate is met? Can you schedule recurring payments, or does the company only provide one-off spot orders?
- Turnaround time. Will the funds be available for your beneficiary in minutes, or will they take several working days to arrive?
- Minimum transfer amount. What is the minimum transfer limit imposed by each company, and will this affect the size of your transfers?
- Pickup methods. Can your beneficiary pick up the cash from their nearest transfer agent, or will the funds be deposited into their bank account?
- Customer service. What sort of customer support is offered and during what hours can you receive assistance?.
Case Study: Banks versus money transfer companies
Céline and her husband are expanding their business from New Caledonia to the US. They want to set up headquarters in both countries and will need to transfer money regularly, so they’re looking for the best and cheapest transfer method.
|Money transfer service 1||Money transfer service 2|
|Exchange rate||$1 USD = $68 XPF||$1 USD = $76 XPF|
|Amount received for $500||$34,500 XPF||$37,900 XPF|
|Transfer time||2 business days||2 business days|
|Transfer options||Online transfers, drafts||Online transfer, stop loss order, market order|
Because the transfer takes the same amount of time for each company, they opt for the second transfer service. Despite having a higher fee, their business will receive more money through the exchange, making the loss minimal.
What are the steps to send money to New Caledonia?
You have the choice between online transfer services, bank to bank transactions and services like Western Union that allow recipients to collect money in person at a designated pick-up location. Most transfer services will require that you set up an account. You’ll be asked to provide the following information:
- Your contact details
- Credit card or bank account information
- Your recipient’s information
Once sent, you’ll receive a reference number that you should pass on to your recipient.
Foreign exchange rates explained
Exchange rate can fluctuate daily based on worldwide economic stability and inflation rates. Because of this, the amount you can exchange between countries will differ daily. In addition, some countries have stronger currencies. This means you’ll be able to get more CFP francs per dollar you spend.
Emergency cash transfers to New Caledonia
There are certain situations when you might need to send a transfer as quickly as possible. When you do need to send an emergency transfer, remember that you will usually have to pay extra in order to get your funds to your beneficiary ASAP. Make sure to check the exchange rate and fees that apply so you know exactly how much it will cost. And because you’re sending money to a smaller country, your options may be even more limited. Be thorough in your research to make sure you’re not losing money by making an emergency transfer.
Tips for picking up cash in New Caledonia
Like all places, picking up cash can be risky. You’ll want to make sure the area you’re visiting is safe, and when you pick up your cash, try to bring a friend. Always keep your guard up. Even if you know the area well, you never want to take out a large amount of cash in public. Deposit your money in a bank account or safe as soon as possible to avoid becoming a target for theft.Back to top
Ask an Expert