Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Send money to New Caledonia
Here’s how to send a quick, affordable and secure money transfer to New Caledonia.
New Caledonia may be a small country, but that doesn’t mean you don’t have options when you need to send money to a loved one overseas. If your bank doesn’t have transfer options available, it might be time to turn to a dedicated money transfer company so you can send money when you need to — without paying the high fees associated with a bank.
Send money to New Caledonia with CurrencyTransfer
Exclusive: Minimum transfer of $1,000 for Finder readers (normally $5,000).
CurrencyTransfer lets you shop around for the best exchange rate on its online marketplace.
- Get the best foreign exchange rates available from this online marketplace
- Fast 1-2 day delivery to bank accounts
- Price-match guarantee if you find a better price elsewhere
Compare international money transfers companies to New Caledonia
Best ways to send money to New Caledonia
Online money transfer providers typically offer the strongest exchange rates and lowest fees on money transfers to New Caledonia. Some offer cash pickup in as little as a few minutes, while others transfer to bank accounts.
1. Digital money transfer servicesCompanies like OFX and XE specialize in foreign currencies, making them some of the most cost-effective ways to send money to New Caledonia. Most offer transfers directly to your recipient's bank account in New Caledonia, often in as little as a day or two.
- Why? Digital money transfer services are cheaper because they exist online and don't have as many employees or physical locations.
2. Cash transfersServices like MoneyGram and Western Union allow you to transfer cash for pickup at a local branch in New Caledonia— often in 15 minutes. While it's a fast way to send money, you'll pay for the convenience in weak exchange rates and high fees.
- Why? Picking up cash is more expensive because more people are involved.
3. BanksThe CPF franc may be offered by your bank, but beware of high fees and wide margins on the exchange rate. Compare bank transfers to digital services and other options before sending a wire transfer to New Caledonia.
- Why? Banks offer money transfers as a secondary service so don't strive to offer competitive prices.
Let's crunch the numbers: Sending $1,000 to New CaledoniaLet's say you need to send $1,000 to family in New Caledonia. Here's what you might face as far as fees and exchange rates using today's rate of 1 USD = 98.930 XPF.
|Digital money transfer service||Cash transfer||Bank transfer|
|Fee||$0||$8||$25 + additional correspondent bank fees|
|Exchange rate||1 USD = 98.633 XPF||1 USD = 98.435 XPF||1 USD = 93.984 XPF|
|Transfer speed||1-2 days||Minutes||2-5 days|
The bank option ends up being the slowest and gets the smallest amount of money to your recipient in New Caledonia. A digital transfer sends the most, which is XPF$6,999 more than the bank. For speed, a cash transfer can typically have your transfer to New Caledonia in as little as 15 minutes. Make sure there's a cash pickup location near your recipient before sending.
How to send money to New Caledonia online
Sign up and send money to New Caledonia with a digital money transfer specialist in four steps:
- Sign up for a free account. Compare and pick a provider before signing up for a free online account using your contact information, proof of ID and preferred payment method.
- Provide transfer details. Submit your recipient's contact information and pick a delivery method. If transferring to a bank, you'll need their bank account details in New Caledonia.
- Confirm transfer details. Double-check your payment method, expected fees and destination.
- Save your receipt. Record your receipt's confirmation number to track the progress of your transfer to New Caledonia. Some money transfer providers send a text or email when your transfer is complete.
Get the most out of your money transfer to New Caledonia
Weigh costs and fees against convenience to best compare money transfer providers that send to New Caledonia. Consider:
- Exchange rates. The USD–XPF relationship fluctuates, so using a service that allows you to lock in exchange prices may help you save money down the line if the CPF franc rises against the US dollar.
- Transfer fees. Transferring money overseas nearly always requires fees, but they might be hidden in the exchange rate. When sending large amounts, it may be cheaper to pay a flat fee to secure a stronger USD–XPF exchange rate.
- Transfer limits. How much you can send varies by company, and different amounts can attract higher or lower fees. Shop around for the best deal on the amount of CPF francs you're sending to New Caledonia.
- Turnaround. Transferring money through a local bank can take a business week or longer. If you need the funds delivered quickly, seek out a digital specialist that offers instant transfers to New Caledonia.
- Sending limits. Comparing prices for one large transfer instead of many small transfers is typically easier, so picking the service you use based on how much you're sending is a valid strategy for saving money.
- Transfer methods. Whether you want money sent to a bank account in New Caledonia or picked up as cash at a local agent, narrow down a company that matches your preferred delivery method.
How to send money to New Caledonia without a bank accountIf you don't have a bank account, look for a local company that supports storefronts for cash payments. These services include agent locations in other countries that allow your recipient to pick up CPF francs without a bank account.
Emergency cash transferWhen urgency trumps cost to get your money to New Caledonia quickly, look for money transfer companies that support cash pickup in minutes. You can pay with a credit or debit card for fast pickup, but fees are higher than other methods.
New Caledonia's exchange rates explained
Banks and money transfer companies use exchange rate to calculate how much New Caledonia's currency is worth when converted to USD. The USD-XPF relationship can change daily based on global economic stability, interest rates, inflation and more.Today's exchange rate USD to XPF
What to watch out for
Sending money to relatives or family members in New Caledonia may be subject to taxes on the money transfer and certain documents may be required.
Taxes on transfers to New Caledonia
In general, any large transfers being sent from the US to New Caledonia should be filed with the IRS to avoid any penalties.
Receiving money in New Caledonia:
- Transfer confirmation details like a transfer number, an MTCN, a reference number or a tracking number, depending on the company.
- Government-issued ID like a passport or similar official ID may be required to pick up your transfer.
- Sender's information. Take along your sender's full name, the sending country and their address, if known.
Sending to New Caledonia from the US:
- Proof of identification like a government-issued ID or your SSN number.
- Recipient information like their name, address and bank account information in New Caledonia.
Sending your hard-earned money to New Caledonia shouldn't cost a fortune. Compare money transfer companies that specialize in foreign transactions for the strongest rates, lowest fees and flexible delivery. For transfers to other countries, rely on our country-specific guides the next time you need to make a transfer.
More guides on Finder
Fidelity Cash Management account review
Fidelity’s cash management account lets you avoid unlimited ATM fees, but it earns little interest.
NEA Smart Money account review
The NEA Smart Money account combines aspects of banking and investing, but only educators qualify.
The best debit cards for kids for 2021
Support your child’s financial knowledge and teach the important real-life money skills in a safe and controlled way with a kids’ debit card.
Help your child learn to spend and save wisely with a virtual, COPPA-compliant debit card.
Sigue international money transfers review
Sigue offers speedy money transfers to 50+ countries, but you have to set up a transfer to see the transaction fees.
Boss Revolution money transfer review
Join Boss Revolution with an email address and phone number, and send money within minutes.
Invest in your child’s future and encourage others to do so, too. Learn about EarlyBird.
Remittances weakened by a struggling US dollar
Understanding your money sending options can help you send the most money abroad while the dollar struggles.
5 smart ways to invest your stimulus check
If you don’t need your money right now, consider investing in an HSA, blue chip stocks and more.
Usend combines money transfers, bill pay and mobile phone reloading.
Ask an Expert