Find great exchange rates and pay minimal fees when you send an international money transfer to Moldova.
While many Americans know little of the landlocked Eastern European country of Moldova, there are actually thought to be more than 30,000 people with Moldovan ancestry in the USA today. So if you ever need to send money to Moldova from the United States, rest assured that there will be multiple options available to help get your funds to wherever they are needed.
Read on to find out how you can send an affordable money transfer to Moldova.
Banks versus money transfer companies
Your first thought might be to ask your bank to send an international wire transfer for you. But while banks can certainly help you send your money overseas, they don’t do so in a very cost-effective manner. They impose low exchange rates and charge high fees on these types of transactions, which can leave you significantly out of pocket and give your recipient a raw deal.
You can send a much more affordable transfer if you use a specialist money transfer company. These companies are experts at moving funds from the USA around the world and can offer exchange rates that are much better than those your bank will give you. They also charge lower fees and provide guaranteed secure transactions, giving you increased peace of mind when you send money to Moldova.
Margaret needs to send $1,000 to her son in Moldova — he’s enjoying a European vacation but is getting low on funds. Margaret doesn’t want to settle for a poor exchange rate from her bank, so she decides to compare the pricing structures of two well-known money transfer providers to see which one offers better value for money.
|Money transfer company 1||Money transfer company 2|
|Exchange rate||1 USD = 0.87||1 USD = 0.88|
|Transfer method||Cash pickup||Cash pickup|
|Processing time||10 minutes||1 hour|
|Amount received (in EUR)||870 EUR||880 EUR|
As you can see, Margaret can save USD $11 in transfer fees and send an extra 10 Euros when she uses the second company to send her transfer.
How to compare transfer companies when transferring money to Moldova
- Exchange rates. Small differences in exchange rates can make a big difference to the total amount of money you send, so check how each provider’s rates compare to the competition.
- Fees. Compare each company’s transfer fees to get a better idea of how much each transaction will cost. Some companies will also waive fees for large transfers.
- Transfer methods. Does the company offer one or more transfer methods, such as the ability to place transfers online and by visiting a branch?
- Transfer options. Can you place a limit order to be executed when market conditions arise? Can you schedule recurring transfers?
- Turnaround time. Will the funds arrive in your recipient’s wallet in minutes or will it be several days before they can access the cash?
- Minimum amount. What is the minimum amount you are allowed to send each time?
- Pickup methods. Some companies offer bank deposits only, while others will also allow you to make funds available for collection from a transfer agent.
- Customer service. Phone, email and online support are all important if you need assistance with a transfer.
How to send money to Moldova from America
- Bank transfers. Check with your financial institution to find out how much it will cost to send a bank transfer to Moldova.
- Online money transfer providers. Search for a reputable online money transfer provider at finder.com.
- Money transfer companies with cash pickup options. Western Union and MoneyGram have cash pickup branches throughout Moldova.
- Checks. You could also consider obtaining an international check from your bank and sending it to your recipient.
Emergency cash transfers in Moldova
You’ve just taken a long-distance call from your little sister. She’s travelling through Moldova and has just been mugged. The thieves took all her cash and credit cards, leaving her frightened and far from home with just a couple of loose coins in her pocket — she needs you to send her some cash ASAP.
It’s easy to send an emergency cash transfer, but you should always be aware of the fact that you will have to pay extra for this service in the form of high fees and low exchange rates. With this in mind, check all the details of your transaction before you hand over your money.
Of course, if your sister has travel insurance she may also be able to access some emergency funds from her insurer, so make sure she gets in touch with their emergency hotline as well.Back to topFind a money transfer location near youBack to top
Tips for picking up cash in Moldova
- Don’t visit a transfer agent if the area you are in feels unsafe
- Pick up cash during daylight hours if possible
- Keep your wallet and bag secure at all times
- Don’t make yourself a target for thieves by displaying your cash in public
- Never carry around a large amount of money for any longer than you absolutely need to
How to send money to Moldova
Although the transfer process varies depending on the company and transfer method you choose, you will typically need to provide the following information:
- Your name and contact details as well as a form of photo ID.
- Your beneficiary’s name, address and contact details.
- Information about how much money you wish to send, in which currency, and where you would like to send the funds.
You will then be able to pay for your transaction and you’ll receive a transaction reference number which you can use to check the progress of your transfer up until completion.