We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.
How to send money to Mauritius
Shop around and save money when you need to send an international transfer from the US to Mauritius.
When you need to send money from the US to Mauritius, you’ll want to be sure you get the most Mauritian rupees for your dollar. Our guide will help you compare money transfer companies so you can decide which option suits your needs.
Why we like: WorldRemit
Send money to 140+ countries for bank deposit, instant e-wallet, mobile top-up or cash pickup at 30,000+ agent locations worldwide.
Your first transfer is free with the code FINDER.
- Low upfront fees and exchange rates.
- Easy to use with round-the-clock help.
- Get cash to family and friends in minutes.
Compare Money Transfer Services
Our interactive table lets you compare current fees, exchange rates, transfer speeds and other details about sending your money overseas. Enter the amount you’re transferring, and see how much will arrive at your destination.
How do international money transfers work?
International money transfers allow individuals to convert currencies and money to and from different countries. You’ll provide your information to an independent money transfer company along with your payment, and the company will then convert that amount to your desired currency and send it along to your recipient.
Most companies allow you to pay by credit or debit card, through a bank transfer, by check or in cash. Your transfer will be sent to your recipient’s bank account or as cash for them to pick up.
Banks versus money transfer companies
While banks are useful for a number of financial services, they aren’t the best choice when dealing with money transfers. This is because they have high fees and less-than-optimal exchange rates.
Instead, opt for a money transfer company. These offer dedicated services that help you take advantage of low exchange rates adn low fees, making it that much easier on your wallet to send money whenever your recipient needs it.
Case Study: Virat sends money to India
Graham’s daughter Maddy is vacationing in Mauritius when she loses her passport and all her cash. She calls her dad back home in the US and asks him to send her $1,000 to help fund the rest of the trip. Graham is happy to help his daughter out, and decides to compare the services of two money transfer companies to find the best deal.
|Money transfer company 1||Money transfer company 2|
|Exchange rate||1 USD = 35.115 MUR||1 USD = 35.388 MUR|
|Transfer method||Online, phone||Online, phone|
|Processing time||2 days||2 days|
|Amount received less the transfer fee||35,115 MUR||35,388 MUR|
Although the first transfer company doesn’t charge a transfer fee, the second company’s better exchange rate allows Graham to send over 200 more Mauritian rupees.
How do I compare transfer companies when sending money to Mauritius?
When you’re looking to send money to Mauritius, keep these points in mind to choose your best money transfer provider.
- Transaction fees. You will usually need to pay a transfer fee on each transaction, with fees ranging from a few dollars up to $60 or $70. Some companies may waive fees on large transactions.
- Exchange rates. Finding the best exchange rate is crucial to ensuring an affordable transfer.
- Transfer methods. Consider the methods that each company allows you to place transfers: online, over the phone, via a mobile app and/or in a branch office.
- Flexible options. Can you lock in an ideal exchange rate now and transfer the money later, known as a forward contract? Does the institution offer limit orders, which allows you to take advantage of changing market conditions by executing the money transfer when a certain exchange rate is met? Can you schedule recurring payments, or does the company only provide one-time orders?
- Turnaround time. Compare the time it will take each company to process a transfer to Mauritius. Some companies offer much quicker transfers than others, but in many cases you’ll have to pay extra for urgent transfers.
- Minimum transfer amounts. Keep an eye out for any minimum or maximum limit that applies to all transactions. There may also be a maximum monthly transfer limit to consider, so make sure this won’t be too restrictive for your purposes.
- Pickup options. Some companies send bank account transfers only, while others will allow your recipient to pick up the cash you send from their nearest branch.
- Customer service. Friendly and efficient customer service is essential if you ever have a problem with a transfer.
Foreign exchange rates explained
Exchange rate is determined by a multitude of global factors, but it’s a pretty simple concept: the exchange rate determines what one country’s currency is worth when converted to the currency of another country. A country with a strong currency will yield more money when converted to a weak currency. This number is flexible, so it’s imperative that you check often to ensure you get the best rate.
What are my options for sending money to Mauritius from the US?
- Money transfer providers. Specialist online transfer companies offer quick and cost-effective transfers all around the world. OFX is a trusted partner of Finder.com and is offering Finder readers an exclusive deal of $0 in fees.
- Cash pickup transfer providers. Western Union and MoneyGram are two providers that offer this convenient service.
- Bank transfers. Ask your bank about the cost involved to send an international money transfer to Mauritius.
- International guaranteed checks. Another option is to obtain an international guaranteed check from your bank for your recipient to deposit into their Mauritian bank account.
How safe is a money transfer?
A money transfer processed through a reputable provider can be safely tracked until it’s in the hands of your recipient. This is because there are a number of federal protections surrounding banks, credit unions and money transfer companies.
What are the steps to send money to Mauritius?
The money transfer method will differ depending on the provider you choose, but in most cases you’ll need to follow these few simple steps:
- Sign up for an account. Signing up is usually free and you will need to provide your name, contact details and proof of ID.
- Enter your transaction details. You’ll need to provide a range of information including your transfer currency, amount and destination, as well as the details of the person who will receive the funds.
- Finalize your transfer. Review your transaction details and pay, making sure to keep any reference number you receive so you can track your transfer.
Emergency cash transfers in Mauritius
If you ever need to send an emergency cash transfer to someone in Mauritius, there are plenty of transfer companies that can help. However, quick transfers usually cost more because of low exchange rates and higher fees, so read the fine print closely to make sure you know how much it will cost.
Tips for picking up cash in Mauritius
Although Mauritius is a safe destination for travelers, you should still use common sense when collecting funds. Take a friend along for extra protection and only visit a cash pickup branch in a safe area. Don’t flash any of your cash around in public and make sure that you deposit it in a safe place as soon as you can.Back to top
Read more on this topic
XE vs. OFX money transfers Check out this side-by-side comparison of XE and OFX to find out which provider offers the best value on international money transfers.
Alternatives to CurrencyFair Thinking of using CurrencyFair? Double check to make sure it’s the best option for you before sending money overseas.
Alternatives to InstaReM Find the best alternative websites to InstaReM for online money transfers.
XE vs. TorFX We look at TorFX and XE to see which will get you a better deal the next time you send money overseas.
XE vs. Western Union We compare XE's and Western Union’s fees, exchange rates and transfer speeds side by side.
Remitly vs. PayPal Compare a well-known payments giant to the newer Remitly and see which one can give you a better deal.
Remitly vs. TransferWise Remitly and TransferWise’s fees, exchange rates and speeds compared side by side.
How to send money to Guinea Compare the services that send money to Guinea. Find out how to get the best value for your money, how long it takes and what to look out for.
Best places to exchange currency in Sydney Your guide to currency exchange services in Sydney, including where to find the best exchange rates and lowest fees.
Best places to exchange currency in Winnipeg Looking for the best deal on Canadian dollars in Winnipeg? Compare popular services and access handy tips to get the most out of your next transfer.
Ask an Expert