This article contains links to products or services from one or more of our advertisers or partners. We may receive a commission when you click or make a purchase using our site. Learn more about how we make money.
Send money to Mauritius
Shop around and save money when you need to send an international transfer from the US to Mauritius.
When you need to send money from the US to Mauritius, you’ll want to be sure you get the most Mauritian rupees for your dollar. Our guide will help you compare money transfer companies so you can decide which option suits your needs.
Send money to Mauritius with WorldRemit
Use promo code 3FREE to send your first 3 transfers with no fee. Send to 110+ countries for bank-to-bank deposit, cash pickup or mobile top-up.
- No minimum transfers.
- Wide range of destinations.
- Competitive exchange rate.
Compare Money Transfer Services
Our interactive table lets you compare current fees, exchange rates, transfer speeds and other details about sending your money overseas. Enter the amount you’re transferring, and see how much will arrive at your destination.
What's in this guide?
- Compare Money Transfer Services
- How do international money transfers work?
- Banks versus money transfer companies
- How do I compare transfer companies when sending money to Mauritius?
- What are my options for sending money to Mauritius from the US?
- What are the steps to send money to Mauritius?
- Emergency cash transfers in Mauritius
- Tips for picking up cash in Mauritius
How do international money transfers work?
International money transfers allow individuals to convert currencies and money to and from different countries. You’ll provide your information to an independent money transfer company along with your payment, and the company will then convert that amount to your desired currency and send it along to your recipient.
Most companies allow you to pay by credit or debit card, through a bank transfer, by check or in cash. Your transfer will be sent to your recipient’s bank account or as cash for them to pick up.
Banks versus money transfer companies
While banks are useful for a number of financial services, they aren’t the best choice when dealing with money transfers. This is because they have high fees and less-than-optimal exchange rates.
Instead, opt for a money transfer company. These offer dedicated services that help you take advantage of low exchange rates and low fees, making it that much easier on your wallet to send money whenever your recipient needs it.
Case Study: Graham sends money to Mauritius
Graham’s daughter Maddy is vacationing in Mauritius when she loses her passport and all her cash. She calls her dad back home in the US and asks him to send her $1,000 to help fund the rest of the trip. Graham is happy to help his daughter out, and decides to compare the services of two money transfer companies to find the best deal.
|Money transfer company 1||Money transfer company 2|
|Exchange rate||1 USD = 35.115 MUR||1 USD = 35.388 MUR|
|Transfer method||Online, phone||Online, phone|
|Processing time||2 days||2 days|
|Amount received less the transfer fee||35,115 MUR||35,388 MUR|
How do I compare transfer companies when sending money to Mauritius?
When you’re looking to send money to Mauritius, keep these points in mind to choose your best money transfer provider.
- Transaction fees. You will usually need to pay a transfer fee on each transaction, with fees ranging from a few dollars up to $60 or $70. Some companies may waive fees on large transactions.
- Exchange rates. Finding the best exchange rate is crucial to ensuring an affordable transfer.
- Transfer methods. Consider the methods that each company allows you to place transfers: online, over the phone, via a mobile app and/or in a branch office.
- Flexible options. Can you lock in an ideal exchange rate now and transfer the money later, known as a forward contract? Does the institution offer limit orders, which allows you to take advantage of changing market conditions by executing the money transfer when a certain exchange rate is met? Can you schedule recurring payments, or does the company only provide one-time orders?
- Turnaround time. Compare the time it will take each company to process a transfer to Mauritius. Some companies offer much quicker transfers than others, but in many cases you’ll have to pay extra for urgent transfers.
- Minimum transfer amounts. Keep an eye out for any minimum or maximum limit that applies to all transactions. There may also be a maximum monthly transfer limit to consider, so make sure this won’t be too restrictive for your purposes.
- Pickup options. Some companies send bank account transfers only, while others will allow your recipient to pick up the cash you send from their nearest branch.
- Customer service. Friendly and efficient customer service is essential if you ever have a problem with a transfer.
Foreign exchange rates explained
Exchange rate is determined by a multitude of global factors, but it’s a pretty simple concept: the exchange rate determines what one country’s currency is worth when converted to the currency of another country. A country with a strong currency will yield more money when converted to a weak currency. This number is flexible, so it’s imperative that you check often to ensure you get the best rate.
What are my options for sending money to Mauritius from the US?
- Money transfer providers. Specialist online transfer companies offer quick and cost-effective transfers all around the world. OFX is a trusted partner of Finder.com and is offering Finder readers an exclusive deal of $0 in fees.
- Cash pickup transfer providers. Western Union and MoneyGram are two providers that offer this convenient service.
- Bank transfers. Ask your bank about the cost involved to send an international money transfer to Mauritius.
- International guaranteed checks. Another option is to obtain an international guaranteed check from your bank for your recipient to deposit into their Mauritian bank account.
How safe is a money transfer?
A money transfer processed through a reputable provider can be safely tracked until it’s in the hands of your recipient. This is because there are a number of federal protections surrounding banks, credit unions and money transfer companies.
What are the steps to send money to Mauritius?
The money transfer method will differ depending on the provider you choose, but in most cases you’ll need to follow these few simple steps:
- Sign up for an account. Signing up is usually free and you will need to provide your name, contact details and proof of ID.
- Enter your transaction details. You’ll need to provide a range of information including your transfer currency, amount and destination, as well as the details of the person who will receive the funds.
- Finalize your transfer. Review your transaction details and pay, making sure to keep any reference number you receive so you can track your transfer.
Emergency cash transfers in Mauritius
If you ever need to send an emergency cash transfer to someone in Mauritius, there are plenty of transfer companies that can help. However, quick transfers usually cost more because of low exchange rates and higher fees, so read the fine print closely to make sure you know how much it will cost.
Tips for picking up cash in Mauritius
Although Mauritius is a safe destination for travelers, you should still use common sense when collecting funds. Take a friend along for extra protection and only visit a cash pickup branch in a safe area. Don’t flash any of your cash around in public and make sure that you deposit it in a safe place as soon as you can.
More guides on Finder
First Foundation Bank Online Savings Account review
No monthly fees and a competitive APY from this high-yield savings account.
Live Oak Bank Business Savings account review
This online-only business savings account lets you build your savings with a high APY and no fees.
Passbook account review
Passbook accounts help immigrants in the US manage their money without paying bank fees.
HSBC Global Money account review
Manage your international finances with free transfers to HSBC customers.
How debt relief works
Five ways to handle your debt and repay what you owe.
One Finance review
A free digital spend and save account that earns up to 3% APY and comes with an instant line of credit.
This robo-advisor combines low-fee automated portfolios with free access to financial advisers.
How to get health insurance
The best time to buy an affordable policy is NOW — during the annual open enrollment period.
JPMorgan makes cryptocurrency push as blockchain becomes “real business”
JPMorgan has extensively shifted its blockchain efforts and branding this week.
Here’s what you need to know about Chewy, the popular pet retailer that offers fast shipping, a wide-variety of products and 24/7 customer service.
Ask an Expert