Shop around and save money when you need to send an international transfer from the U.S. to Mauritius.
When you need to get money to a loved one overseas, the last thing you want to deal with is navigating a potentially complicated and expensive process. Sending money from the United States to Mauritius doesn’t have to be expensive. Compare the transfer fees and exchange rates of the options available to you to get the best deal.From bank transfers and online transactions to options that allow recipients to collect your funds within minutes, sending an international money transfer to Mauritius is easy. But do your research and shop around for the best available deal.
World First International Money Transfers
Most Convenient money transfers with excellent customer service. Send to 140+ currencies in 45 countries.
Special $0 fee offer for finder.com readers:
Because World First is a trusted partner of finder.com, you can send your money transfer overseas for free.
- Enjoy competitive exchange rates.
- Get even better exchange rates with forward contracts and limit orders.
- Receive weekly updates on market exchange rates.
Compare Money Transfer Services
Our interactive table lets you compare current fees, exchange rates, transfer speeds and other details about sending your money overseas. Enter the amount you’re transferring, and see how much will arrive at your destination.
How do international money transfers work?
An international money transfer allows you to send money to a recipient overseas. Generally, a transfer involves you providing funds to a bank or an independent transfer provider, which then sends the money to your recipient in another country — in this case, Mauritius. This can be done in person, over the phone, through a mobile app or online. You can use cash, a credit or debit card, or transfer funds from your bank account, which will then either be deposited into your recipient’s bank account or mobile wallet, or made available as cash for them to pick up at a location in their country.Back to top
Banks versus money transfer companies
We use our banks to take care of all our other financial needs, so surely we should use them when we need to send an international money transfer, right? Not necessarily. While major U.S. banks offer money transfer services, they usually present less competitive exchange rates coupled with high transfer fees.
You can often save money by using the services of a dedicated money transfer company. These providers specialize in handling overseas money transfers, offering attractive exchange rates and affordable transfer fees. This translates to big savings for you.Back to top
Graham’s daughter Maddy is vacationing in Mauritius when her passport and all her cash are stolen. She calls her dad back home in America and asks him to send her $1,000 to help fund the rest of the trip. Graham is happy to help his daughter out, and decides to compare the services of two money transfer companies to find the best deal.
|Bank||Money transfer company|
|Exchange rate||1 USD = 35.115 MUR||1 USD = 35.3882 MUR|
|Transfer method||Online, phone||Online, phone|
|Processing time||2 days||2 days|
|Amount received less the transfer fee||35,115 MUR||35,035 MUR|
Although the first transfer company doesn’t charge a transfer fee, the second company’s better exchange rate allows Graham to send 80 more Mauritian rupees.
How do I compare transfer companies when sending money to Mauritius?
- Exchange rates. Finding the best exchange rate is crucial to ensuring an affordable transfer. However, make sure that a company with high exchange rates doesn’t also charge high transfer fees.
- Transaction fees. You will usually need to pay a transfer fee on each transaction, with fees ranging from a few dollars up to $60 or $70. Some companies will also waive fees on large transactions.
- Transfer methods. Consider the methods that each company allows you to place transfers: online, over the phone, via a mobile app and/or in a branch office.
- Flexible options. Can you lock in an ideal exchange rate now and transfer the money later, known as a forward contract? Does the institution offer limit orders, which allows you to take advantage of changing market conditions by executing the money transfer when a certain exchange rate is met? Can you schedule recurring payments, or does the company only provide one-time orders?
- Turnaround time. Compare the time it will take each company to process a transfer to Mauritius. Some companies offer much quicker transfers than others, but in many cases you’ll have to pay extra for urgent transfers.
- Minimum transfer amounts. Keep an eye out for any minimum or maximum limit that applies to all transactions. There may also be a maximum monthly transfer limit to consider, so make sure this won’t be too restrictive for your purposes.
- Pickup options. Some companies send bank account transfers only, while others will allow your recipient to pick up the cash you send from their nearest branch.
- Customer service. Friendly and efficient customer service is essential if you ever have a problem with a transfer.
What are my options for sending money to Mauritius from the U.S.?
- Money transfer providers. Specialist online transfer companies offer quick and cost-effective transfers all around the world. World First and OFX are both trusted partners of Finder.com and are offering Finder readers an exclusive deal of $0 in fees.
- Cash pickup transfer providers. Western Union and MoneyGram are two providers that offer this convenient service.
- Bank transfers. Ask your bank about the cost involved to send an international money transfer to Mauritius.
- International guaranteed checks. Another option is to obtain an international guaranteed check from your bank for your recipient to deposit into their Mauritian bank account.
How safe is a money transfer?
When processed through a reputable provider, your funds are safely tracked until in the hands of your recipient. When sending money internationally, federal protections are in place that require banks, credit unions and money transfer companies to, for example, disclose all fees upfront and give you 30 minutes to cancel a transfer, assuming it hasn’t yet been picked up or deposited.
Emergency cash transfers in Mauritius
If you ever need to send an emergency cash transfer to a loved one in Mauritius, there are plenty of transfer companies that can help. However, urgent transfers usually cost more thanks to low exchange rates and higher fees, so read the fine print closely to make sure you know all the details of your transaction and how much it will cost.Back to topBack to top
What are the steps to send money to Mauritius?
The money transfer method will differ depending on the provider you choose, but in most cases you’ll need to follow these few simple steps:
- Sign up for an account. Signing up is usually free and you will need to provide your name, contact details and proof of ID.
- Enter transaction details. You’ll need to provide a range of information including your transfer currency, amount and destination, as well as the details of the person who will receive the funds.
- Finalize your transfer. Review your transaction details and pay for your transfer, making sure to keep any reference number you receive so you can track your transfer.
Tips for picking up cash in Mauritius
Although Mauritius is a safe destination for travelers, you should still use common sense when collecting funds. Take a friend along for extra protection and only visit a cash pickup branch in a safe area. Don’t flash any of your cash around in public and make sure that you deposit it in a safe place as soon as you can.Back to top