PayPal lets you control how you pay for almost everything.
We know that everyone's situation is unique and we aim to help you find the right product for you. We may receive compensation when you visit our partners' sites or are approved for their products. You can read more about how we maintain editorial independence and how we make money here.Did you know PayPal, the world leader in quick and easy online purchase payment solutions, also allows customers to transfer money overseas? They also offer PayPal Credit, a mobile wallet app and an eBay payments service. And businesses can take advantage of their merchant services, credit card processing, business loans and more.
- PayPal direct transfer. Send money to friends and loved ones overseas from your PayPal account.
- Bank or cash money transfers. Send money overseas with PayPal’s Xoom money transfer service. Recipients can get cash in hand or have it deposited directly to their bank account without the need for a PayPal account.
- Pay for purchases. Once you create an account and add a payment method, save time by making payments without pulling out your credit or debit card.
- Pay with your mobile wallet. Pay for your purchase in stores with PayPal’s mobile wallet app. Pay with PayPal without even taking out your wallet.
- Access credit. Take advantage of PayPal Credit and purchase goods now and pay for them within six months without paying interest.
- Make eBay payments. Pay for your purchase on eBay with your PayPal account and rest assured your purchase is protected with PayPal’s Purchase Protection feature.
- Merchant services. With a PayPal business account you can accept payments by website, app, email, phone or even in person or in store.
- Borrow for your business. A PayPal business loan allows you to get funding within minutes for an affordable fixed fee. They also offer flexible payments and no credit check.
- Credit card processing. Accept debit and credit cards by adding the PayPal button to your site to simplify accounting while saving money in the process.
- Mobile card reader. Use your phone or tablet while on the go to accept payments with PayPal’s mobile card reader.
- Point of sale solutions. Accept payments with a full POS solution with their PayPal Chip Card Reader setup, or try the PayPal Here app to accept payments.
PayPal is best for:
- Small transfers. PayPal’s fees are based on how much money you are sending. If you are sending a small amount, its fees are very reasonable.
- Flexible transfers. Not every money transfer service offers direct-to-PayPal or mobile wallet options and recurring payments.
- Fast, easy transfers. If you just want a simple option to send money domestically or overseas and you already have an account, PayPal offers simple, convenient transfers.
How much do money transfers cost with PayPal?
PayPal allows you to send money inside the US for free if it is funded by a linked bank account. But when you send money outside the US, you’ll pay a fee equivalent to 0.5% – 2.0% of your transaction if it is funded by your bank account or PayPal balance. If you pay via credit or debit card, fees range from 3.4% to 3.9%.
You’ll pay a fixed fee for sending in a currency other than US dollars.
|Australian dollar||0.30 AUD|
|Brazilian real||0.60 BRL|
|Canadian dollar||0.30 CAD|
|Czech koruna||10.00 CZK|
|Danish krone||2.60 DKK|
|Euro (recipient is in France)||0.25 EUR|
|Euro (recipient is outside of France)||0.35 EUR|
|Hong Kong dollar||2.35 HKD|
|Hungarian forint||90 HUF|
|Israeli shekel||1.20 ILS|
|Japanese yen||40 JPY|
|Malaysian ringgit||2.00 MYR|
|Mexican peso||4.00 MXN|
|New Zealand dollar||0.45 NZD|
|Norwegian krone||2.80 NOK|
|Philippine peso||15.00 PHP|
|Polish zlotych||1.35 PLN|
|Russian ruble||10 RUB|
|Singapore dollar||0.50 SGD|
|Swedish krona||3.25 SEK|
|Swiss franc||0.55 CHF|
|Taiwan new dollar||10.00 TWD|
|Thai baht||11.00 THB|
|U.K. pounds sterling||0.20 GBP|
|U.S. dollar||0.30 USD|
PayPal’s exchange rates are calculated by a financial institution and updated multiple times a day to reflect fluctuating market conditions. PayPal’s bank adds 2.5% to a wholesale rate price to calculate the service’s retail foreign exchange rate. If you compare the rates offered by PayPal, you’ll see that they can be competitive against the rates offered by banks and other foreign exchange providers.
To view PayPal’s current exchange rates, log in to your account. On your profile summary page, click Details next to PayPal balance, then click Manage currencies. From this page you can enter the relevant information and click Calculate to see the resulting exchange rate before initiating your money transfer.
What types of transfers can I make with PayPal?
PayPal does not offer the flexibility of rate locks or forward contracts, but you can schedule recurring transfers using its Balance Manager. Keep in mind that doing so will incur a fee.
There’s no cash pickup option available for your recipient, with all transfers handled electronically.
Available currencies and countries
PayPal is available in 203 countries, a full list of which is available on the PayPal website. Countries like Afghanistan, Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Syria and Sudan are excluded from this list, meaning you are unable to send funds to these destinations.
Overall, PayPal users can withdraw funds to their bank accounts in 57 currencies and hold a balance in their account in 26 currencies. PayPal allows its customers to transfer the following currencies overseas.
- US dollars
- Australian dollar
- British pound
- Canadian dollar
- Czech koruna
- Danish krone
- Hong Kong dollar
- Hungarian forint
- Israeli new shekel
- Japanese yen
- Mexican peso
- New Taiwan dollar
- New Zealand dollar
- Norwegian krone
- Philippine peso
- Polish zloty
- Russian ruble
- Singapore dollar
- Swedish krona
- Swiss franc
- Thai baht
- Brazilian real (only for Brazilian members)
- Malaysian ringgit (only for Malaysian members)
Verified account holders can send from $1 to up to $10,000 in a single transaction.
How do I use PayPal to send money overseas?
To send money using PayPal, you’ll need to sign up for a free PayPal account by entering your name, email address, residential address and mobile number. You’ll also need to link your credit or debit card or bank account to your PayPal profile
To transfer money, log in to your PayPal account. Enter your recipient’s email address and phone number. Next, enter the amount you wish to send in your desired currency, and review the fees and exchange rates that apply to your transaction. Once you’re satisfied with the details, confirm to send money to your recipient.
To track every stage of your transaction’s process, log in to your PayPal account and view Account Activity.
If something goes wrong or you have a question, PayPal offers a useful online Help Center with answers to many frequently asked questions. Customer service options do not include the convenience of live chat, but you can call or email PayPal for individual support. Or ask a question of fellow PayPal users in the Community Help Forum.
What is PayPal?
Established in 1998, PayPal is a leading global provider of digital payments. Processing around 12.5 million payments every day, PayPal boasts a massive customer base, with over 165 million active accounts worldwide. PayPal offers a secure payments system for online, in-store and mobile use.
Previously owned by eBay, PayPal separated from its parent company in July 2015 to become an independent, publicly-traded company listed on the NASDAQ stock exchange. From its San Jose, California, headquarters, PayPal processed around 4 billion payments, resulting in over $8 billion in revenue in 2014 alone. People in 202 countries around the world can use PayPal in 25 currencies.
What do customers say about PayPal?
Out of over 3,000 reviews on TrustPilot, the majority rate PayPal one star. Customers complain about its ineffective buyer protection feature and unfriendly customer support. However, 31% of reviewers do give PayPal five stars.
You can get help with your transfer by:
- Posing a question in the PayPal USA Community.
- Reporting a problem in the Resolution Center.
- Sending a message from the Message Center.
- Calling customer service at 888-221-1161.