Transfer funds around the globe quickly and easily with HSBC
When you need to send funds overseas, you want a fast, convenient and safe way to get your money where it needs to go.
HSBC offers two options for international money transfers: Global Transfers and wire transfers.
Global Transfers allows for a seamless transfer of funds from your eligible HSBC deposit account to another HSBC account in any country with no transfer fee. International wire transfers can be sent from an eligible HSBC account to non-HSBC accounts, but for a fee. Wire transfers are a way to easily and quickly send money to people, businesses and banks worldwide.
See how other services compare to HSBC
Use our comparison calculator to assess the transfer fees, exchange rates and other details for HSBC against our money transfer partners when sending cash overseas.
Save money on your personal or business international money transfer today. Fill in the form and you’ll be contacted by a foreign exchange expert to have an obligation-free discussion about your options.
With over 17 years of foreign exchange expertise and over $100 billion transferred, OFX can help with all your currency exchange needs, including:
- Buying property abroad
- Regular overseas payments
- Risk management
- If the provider quotes a different rate to the one above please let us know
How can I send money overseas with HSBC?
Before you can send money overseas with HSBC, you’ll need to open an account with the bank.
Apply online or over the phone with:
- Your full name and contact information.
- Your Taxpayer ID Number or Social Security number.
- Your date of birth.
- Your driver’s license or other government-issued ID.
- Information about any loans or mortgages you have.
Once you have an account, it’s easy to start transferring funds around through two transfer options:
- Wire transfers. Send money from your HSBC deposit accounts to other people, businesses and financial institutions around the world. Initiate a transfer through your online account, completing an online transfer request form with your recipient’s name, address and bank account number. You’ll also need to supply your recipient bank’s routing number or SWIFT number.
- Global Transfers. HSBC Premier and Advance account holders can use HSBC’s Global Transfers, which allows you to send up to $200,000 per transaction and per day between your eligible HSBC deposit account (except CDs and online payment accounts) to your HSBC accounts throughout the world. No fees are attached to these transfers, and you can initiate them by logging in to your Personal Internet Banking account.
Whichever option you choose, HSBC transfers the funds to your recipient’s account as soon as possible. Wire transfer requests received by 4:15 p.m. ET are processed on the same day, while transfers requested after 4:15 p.m. ET are processed the next business day.
Short for the cumbersome Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication, a SWIFT code is an international bank code used for incoming transfers. Overseas banks each have a unique SWIFT code that identifies which bank to send money to.
Pros and cons of using HSBC international money transfers
- Fee-free transfers. With Global Transfers, HSBC allows you to send up to $200,000 per transaction between your HSBC accounts in different countries without incurring a transfer fee.
- Quick and convenient. International wire transfers from HSBC Bank USA offer a fast, easy way to send money overseas.
- Same-day transfers. International wire transfers initiated before 4:15 p.m. ET are processed by HSBC Bank USA on the same day.
- Wire transfer fees. You’ll need to pay a service fee for each international wire transfer you send to a non-HSBC account or an HSBC account that does not belong to you. Check the Pre-Payment and Receipt Disclosures associated with your account to confirm the fee you’ll pay for each transaction.
- Security device. You may be required to obtain an HSBC Security Device that requires two-factor authentication to make a transfer. You have the option of using a Digital Device via the HSBC Mobile Banking App or a portable Physical Device.
What other products does HSBC offer?
- Checking and saving accounts. Manage your ongoing financial needs, from basic accounts with essential features right through to high-end accounts that help you get more out of your money.
- Credit and debit cards. Whether you’re looking for a platinum-level rewards card or a basic card for emergency purchases, you’ll find a card with HSBC.
- International banking solutions. From international mortgages to helping those who are relocating overseas, HSBC Bank USA offers a wide range of international banking services.
- Mortgages and home equity loans. Own your next home sooner or take advantage of the equity in your current property with a range of flexible mortgage solutions.
- Investment products. Invest in mutual funds, fixed-income products, ETFs, equities and more with help from HSBC.
- Insurance. HSBC Bank USA offers life insurance, long-term-care coverage and disability insurance.
What is HSBC?
Established in London by the Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation in 1991, HSBC Holdings is a multinational financial services provider with roots dating back to the 1860s. The third-biggest bank in the world in terms of assets, HSBC has operations across 80 countries and territories around the world.
HSBC Bank USA services more than 2.4 million customers across the US, from retail and commercial banking to wealth management, asset management and more. HSBC Bank USA has more than 230 branches throughout the US.
HSBC allows you to send money across international borders with ease. But unless you’re sending it to one of your other HSBC accounts, expect to pay a fee.
You should always compare a number of options before deciding on an international money transfer provider to get the best deal for your situation.
Frequently asked questions
How much money can I send between my international HSBC accounts?
You can send up to $200,000 per transaction or per day using HSBC’s Global Transfers.
What information do I need to provide to send an international wire transfer?
You’ll need to supply:
- Your recipient’s name and contact information.
- Your recipient’s bank account number, bank address and SWIFT code.
I’m relocating overseas — can HSBC help?
Yes. Visit your nearest HSBC Banking Center to discuss your overseas banking options and even open an account in your new country of residence before you leave the US. Remote application services are also available online and over the phone, if you don’t live near an HSBC branch.
Who can use HSBC's Global Transfers?
HSBC Global Transfers are available to HSBC Premier and HSBC Advance clients. You can only use HSBC Global Transfers to send money between your HSBC accounts.
Can I cancel an international wire transfer?
Yes, you can cancel an international wire transfer within 30 minutes of submitting it without incurring a penalty.