Affordable money transfers to Asia and the Middle East
Not available for US customer
This provider does not offer money transfers to clients in the US. Compare similar services to transfer money internationally.
With a particular focus on transfers to Asian countries, GMT offers bank account deposits and cash pickup. Zero commission is charged on online transfers if you satisfy minimum transfer limits, while funds sent for cash pickup can be made available to your recipient in as little as 10 minutes.
GMT is best for:
- Australians who need to send money overseas, particularly to an Asian country.
- Bank transfers. You can only pay for your transfer from your bank account.
How much does GMT cost?
GMT Money Transfer regularly updates its exchange rates throughout the day to reflect changing market conditions. By cutting out the middleman in foreign exchange transactions and using modern technology during the transfer process, GMT claims it is able to save on operating costs and pass those savings on to its customers.
The fees that apply to your GMT Money Transfer transaction will vary depending on where you are sending your money, how much money you send and the transfer method you select. For example, the following fees apply to transfers to India:
- Transfer amounts of $0 to $2,499 cost a $5 fee.
- Transfer amounts of $2,500 or above don’t come with any transfer fees.
Transfers to Pakistan, meanwhile, do not attract any fees, but transfers to the Philippines will attract a fee of either $5 (if you send up to $500) or $10 (when you send $501 or above). A flat transfer fee of $10 applies when you send funds to Bangladesh, Nepal or Sri Lanka, while other charges may be imposed by overseas banks or if you change a transaction.Back to top
What types of transfers can I make with GMT Money Transfer?
GMT only offers one-off transfers. But there are two ways in which your recipient can receive the funds:
- Bank account deposits. The funds you send will usually arrive in your recipient’s overseas account within 1-2 business days.
- Cash pickup. The funds you send will typically be available for collection from an agent location within 10 minutes.
Transfers can be placed online through the GMT Money Transfer website. If you ever need assistance with a transfer, GMT offers phone, fax, email and live chat customer support.
Transfer limits and available currencies
There is no minimum or maximum amount you can transfer. However, for transfers of more than $25,000, you will need to contact GMT Money Transfer directly.
GMT offers support for the following currencies:
- AED United Arab Emirates dirham
- AUD Australian dollar
- BHD Bahraini dinar
- BDT Bangladeshi taka
- BND Brunei dollar
- BRL Brazilian real
- CAD Canadian dollar
- CHF Swiss franc
- DKK Danish krone
- EGP Egyptian pound
- ETB Ethiopian birr
- EUR Euro
- FJD Fijian dollar
- GBP British pound
- GHC Ghanaian cedi
- GMD Gambian dalasi
- HKD Hong Kong dollar
- IDR Indonesian rupiah
- INR Indian rupee
- JMD Jamaican dollar
- JOD Jordanian dinar
- JPY Japanese yen
- KES Kenyan shilling
- KWD Kuwaiti dinar
- LBP Lebanese pound
- LKR Sri Lankan rupee
- MAD Moroccan dirham
- MRO Mauritanian ouguiya
- MYR Malaysian ringgit
- NOK Norwegian krone
- NPR Nepalese rupee
- NZD New Zealand dollar
- OMR Omani rial
- GNF Guinean franc
- PHP Philippine peso
- PKR Pakistani rupee
- QAR Qatari rial
- SAR Saudi riyal
- SBD Solomon Islands dollar
- SEK Swedish krona
- SGD Singapore dollar
- SLL Sierra Leonean leone
- THB Thai baht
- TOP Tongan pa’anga
- TRY Turkish lira
- USD US dollar
- WST Samoan tala
- CFA Central African CFA franc
- YER Yemeni rial
- ZAR South African rand
What are the pros and cons of using GMT?
- Low fees. You won’t pay more than $10 for most currencies. Send more than $2,500 to an Indian bank account for free.
- Multiple currencies. GMT Money Transfer offers support for more than 45 currencies.
- Customer support. GMT Money Transfer can be contacted via phone, email, fax and live chat if you ever require help with a transaction.
- Fee-free only to India. Fee-free transfers are only available to India, not to other countries.
- Limited availability. GMT isn’t available to US customers.
What’s the registration and transfer process?
Before you can send money overseas with GMT Money Transfer, you will need to fill out an application. You can apply through the GMT website or submit your completed application in person, by email or by fax.
In order to send a transfer you will need to provide:
- Transaction details. This includes the amount you wish to send and the currency you will be sending.
- Sender details. Provide your name, address, contact details, photo ID, occupation and the purpose of your transfer.
- Beneficiary details. Provide the name, address, contact details, occupation and bank account details (if required) of your recipient.
- Payment details. Choose whether you would like to have the funds deposited into your recipient’s bank account or made available for cash pickup. GMT has more than 1,000 affiliated offices worldwide.
What is GMT?
GMT Money Transfer and Exchange specializes in sending international money transfers from Australia around the world. GMT offers competitive exchange rates and is fully regulated by Austrac.
Based in Harris Park in Sydney, GMT Money Transfer supports more than 45 currencies including the US dollar, Philippine peso, Thailand baht, Indian rupee and Pakistan rupee.
GMT Money Transfer concentrates its activities solely on handling international money transfers and foreign exchange services.