Send money worldwide with convenient, affordable international money transfer options.
Citibank account holders can transfer money internationally through two convenient options:
- Citibank Global Transfers, a fee-free way to send money to Citibank accounts in more than 20 countries.
- International wire transfers, available to just about anywhere in the world for a fee.
Either option sends money from your Citibank account to your recipient’s bank account worldwide.
How does Citibank compare to independent money transfer specialists
Use our comparison calculator to assess transfer fees, exchange rates and other details for sending funds overseas with our money transfer partners.
How can I send money overseas with Citibank?
Citibank offers two options for you to send money overseas: Citibank Global Transfers and international wire transfers.
Citibank Global Transfers
Citibank Global Transfers can be sent to any Citibank account in more than 20 countries around the world at no charge. You can initiate a transfer online, at a branch or through an ATM with only your recipient’s name and Citibank account number.
International wire transfers through Citibank
With a wire transfer, you can send your money to more than 7,000 banks worldwide.
Citibank account holders pay a $35 transfer fee, while Citigold account holders pay $25. Citibank Private Bank accounts are waived all fees, no matter the type of transfer. If you’re making an outbound domestic wire transfer, you’ll pay lower fees.
For a wire transfer, you provide the name of your recipient and their bank’s routing, account and SWIFT numbers.
Whichever transfer option you choose, you’ll need a Citibank checking, savings or money market account. Same-day processing of transfers is typically available, with the funds deposited directly into your beneficiary’s bank account.
Back to top
Pros and cons of using Citibank
- Fee-free transfers. With Citibank Global Transfers, you can send money to other Citibank account holders in more than 20 countries without incurring any fees.
- Simple process. Quickly and easily send a money transfer from your online account.
- Fast transfer speeds. International money transfers are sent the same business day if received before 5:15 p.m. ET.
- Transfer options. Transfers can be sent online, from ATMs or by visiting your nearest branch, and they can be funded from a checking, savings or money market account.
- High wire transfer fees. Prepare to pay a fee when you send money by wire transfer to a non-Citibank account.
- Transfer limits. Depending on your account type, how much you can transfer at one time is limited typically to $50,000 a day.
What other products does Citibank offer?
- Credit cards. Citibank offers an extensive range of business, student, travel, rewards and no annual fee credit cards.
- Mortgages. Citibank provides home loan products for homebuyers, investors and those looking to refinance an existing mortgage.
- Home equity lending. Take advantage of your home’s equity with a loan from Citibank.
- Personal loans. Borrow funds and enjoy competitive rates and flexible features.
- Investing. Invest in a wide range of financial instruments on your own or with the help of a Citibank adviser.
What is Citibank?
Founded in 1812 in New York City, Citibank has grown to become a leading global financial institution with more than 200 million customer accounts in 160 countries around the world.
A large global bank, Citibank offers a diverse range of products to its customers that include corporate and investment banking solutions, wealth management and securities brokerage. Its suite of personal banking solutions include credit cards, mortgages, and savings, checking and investment accounts.
When you need to send money overseas, Citibank’s two international money transfer options are a quick, easy solution.
However, before you commit to any international transaction, compare your available options to make sure you get the best value for your money.
Frequently asked questions
How much will I pay for a Citibank international money transfer?
If you and your recipient have Citibank accounts, you can send a free Citibank Global Transfer. For a standard international wire transfer to a recipient without a Citibank account, you will pay up to $35 per transfer. Citigold accounts are charged $25, while fees are waived for Citibank Private Bank clients.
Which countries can I send Citibank Global Transfers to?
Citibank Global Transfers allow you to transfer funds to Citibank accounts in Australia, Bahrain, China, Colombia, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, the Philippines, Poland, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom and Vietnam.
How can I pay for a Citibank international money transfer?
You can send money overseas from your Citibank checking, savings or money market account.
How long does it take for a wire transfer to be send?
Citibank will typically process your international wire transfer on the same day you submit it, as long as you lodge your transaction before 5:15 p.m. ET.
Do I need to visit my nearest branch to send a transfer?
No. While it’s possible to send Citibank Global Transfers and international wire transfers at select bank locations, you can also make Citibank international money transfers online with your Citibank online banking account.
Can I set up a recurring wire transfer with Citibank?
While you can set up a recurring domestic wire transfers with Citibank, this option is not available for overseas transfers.
Can I send money in a foreign currency?
Yes. However, the exchange rate will include a fee charged by Citibank for the currency conversion.