While experts predict a favorable economic outlook for Honduras, the country faces major challenges that include extreme poverty and a vulnerability to external shocks and natural disasters, like hurricanes and drought. To mitigate these challenges, targeted social programs are working to potentially lower poverty rates and increase the quality of the country’s education system.
8.4 million in 2015
17.8% in 2013
Gross domestic product (GDP)
- $20.42 billion in 2015
Top 5 Imports
Top 5 exports
Top 3 Trading Partners
GDP growth rate (est.)
- 3.6% in 2015
- 3.1% in 2014
- 2.8% in 2013
Trends and outlooks
- Moderate recovery from 2008 global economic crisis driven by public investments, exports and higher US remittances.
- Economy expected to grow by 3.6 percent supported by agriculture, construction and favorable monetary policy.
- Highest level of economic inequality in Latin America
- One of the world’s highest homicide rates
- Lost revenue in agricultural sector due to the low export prices of bananas and coffee
Starting a business in Honduras? What you need to know:
Compare your options for sending and receiving business payments to Honduras
Economic snapshots of other countries
Ask an Expert