Allstate is a trusted and well-established company that offers a full suite of insurance policies — making it easy to bundle multiple types of coverage to cut down on your premiums. However, its base rates aren’t as competitive.
What types of insurance can I get from Allstate?
Allstate sells these insurance policies:
- Automobile insurance. Allstate’s car insurance not only protect your car, but the policy also comes with the support of an Allstate agent. Customers can select from a range of roadside services.You can add roadside assistance onto your insurance policy. You can also choose to get a membership plan, or utilize pay-per use services.
- Home insurance. This policy lets you protect your home, and valuable belongings. Customers can take advantage of Allstate’s home insurance discounts to save money. Coverage may vary by your state of residence.
- Renters insurance. Renters insurance from Allstate can help you protect your belongings and your rental. It is an affordable add on for just a few dollars.
- Condo insurance. This type of insurance offers dependable coverage to your belongings. In addition to condo insurance, Allstate also offers extra coverage for problems like flooding.
- Motorcycle insurance. Allstate’s motorcycle insurance can help protect both you and your motorcycle. In addition, Allstate can help you find discounts to make the most of your coverage.
- Life insurance. Allstate helps you take care of beneficiaries and obtain financial security through a number of life insurance policies. Customers can choose between term life, universal life, or whole life insurance plans.
- Business insurance. This insurance can help you finance your business, and acquire funds to keep your business running. Certified agents can offer business solutions designed for your small business.
Pros and cons of Allstate insurance
Choosing Allstate for your insurance needs comes with these benefits:
- Bundling discounts. You’ll get a discount on your premium when you buy multiple insurance policies.
- Online access. If you create an online account with Allstate, you will gain 24/7 access to your policies. This online access lets you pay bills online, make changes to coverage, file and track insurance claims, etc.
- Rewards program. The rewards program offers customers the ability to earn merchandise, gift cards, and more.
- Resources. The company offers a lot of resources and educational articles that people can explore. Allstate provides helpful information on all of the different insurance policy types.
- Local agents. Allstate has local agents that live and work in the communities they serve. That means that wherever you are located, it will mostly likely be easy to find an agent nearby. When you start working with an agent, they will provide a personalized insurance proposal for you.
- Accessibility. Since Allstate is such an established company, it has agents from all across the US, in all 50 states.
- BBB rating. Though A+ rated, Allstate is not accredited with the Better Business Bureau; This is confusing since the company is so well-known and established.
- Online quote. You can receive a pricing quote right from the website.
The insurer has these drawbacks:
- Stricter underwriting standards. You might not be able to get Allstate insurance if you’re a high risk customer, such as an SR-22 driver or a homeowner in a high-risk area.
- Higher rates. Allstate’s focus is on great coverage and perks. If you want the cheapest insurance, you might need to get a quote elsewhere.
How to get Allstate insurance
You can purchase insurance policies online from Allstate’s website. The information that you will be required to give varies by the type of insurance you choose. In general, you will need to provide the following information and documentation:
- Full name
- Phone number
- Street address
- Employment status
- Payment and billing information
To find an agent, all you need to input is your ZIP code, or city and state.
Who’s eligible to buy insurance from Allstate?
You’ll need to be at least 18 years old and a US citizen to purchase a policy.
The company has won numerous corporate, innovation and diversity awards.
Corporate awards include:
- World’s Most Ethical Company 2015 and 2016 – The Ethisphere Institute
- The World’s Most Admired Companies 2015 – Fortune Magazine; Allstate ranked #7 in Property & Casualty Industry
- 50 Happiest Companies in America 2014 – CareerBliss
- Flame of Life Award 2013 – The National Safety Council, for efforts to reduce teen traffic accident deaths
- Top 100 Military Friendly Employers 2013 – MilitaryFriendly.com
- Corporate Social Responsibility Leadership Award 2016 – Financial Services Roundtable
- 100 Best Corporate Citizens 2015 – Corporate Responsibility Magazine
- Top 100 Green Companies in the United States — Newsweek Magazine (2009-2012, 2014-2016)
- Carbon Disclosure Project — S&P 500 Carbon Disclosure Leadership Index (2009, 2011-2014), and S&P 500 Carbon Performance Leadership (2012)
- The Civic 50 2012; Allstate ranked #13 among S&P 500 companies
Allstate is an insurance giant, and a solid choice for a range of insurance policies — including car, home and life. You can score discounts for bundling coverage, but you may be able to find better base rates for individual policies elsewhere so it’s worth comparing insurance companies.
Frequently asked questions about Allstate
More guides on Finder
The best free debit cards for kids for 2021
A must-have for parents looking to teach their little ones healthy money habits early on.
RefiJet helps you save on your monthly car payment or interest with a few simple steps.
Waffle car insurance review
Access an intuitive app, wide coverage and few exclusions when Waffle’s car insurance drops in late July.
Life insurance for seniors over 70
A final expense life insurance policy may be your best option in your 70s, especially if you have prior health problems.
Savvy car insurance review
This insurance shopping tool compares 100+ companies and prefills your quote forms.
5 must-read VA home loan tips from the experts
Find insight on VA home loans from experts. Learn what to do if you are denied and the data behind VA loan denials.
Car accident statistics
Find out which states have the most and the least deadly car accidents per vehicle miles driven.
GM OnStar car insurance review
Existing users can get a discount, but coverage is only offered in Arizona for now.
Unifimoney account review
Unifimoney lets you spend, save and invest, but it’s only free for high-income individuals.
Honeydue Joint Banking review
This bank account and prepaid card combo gives you and your honey a convenient way to manage finances together.
Ask an Expert