This nonstandard insurer operating in four states provides coverage when others won’t.
- Get a quote if you can only afford the bare minimum coverage.
- Pick something else if you are concerned about the negative reviews.
- Drivers with a history of accidents or claims or who need an SR-22 can get coverage.
|States served||Arizona, California, Florida, Texas|
|Pay schedule||12 months, 6 months|
|Claims methods||online, phone|
|New car protection||No|
- Coverage options for every budget
- SR-22 options
- Free DriverClub membership
- Low customer feedback
- Limited to 4 states
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Other discounts||Switch-And-Save Discount|
|Rideshare coverage||Yes (only in Miami)|
|Temporary & short term coverage||No|
What is Infinity Insurance?
Headquartered in Birmingham, Alabama, Infinity Insurance is a relatively new auto insurance provider. It was formed in 2002 by American Financial Group and is publicly traded on the NASDAQ since early 2003. While it specializes in auto insurance coverage, it also offers home and life insurance policies through non-affiliated insurance companies.
This provider strives for excellence with a commitment to high-quality products and great customer service. It is the third largest provider of “non-standard” auto insurance in the country, rivaled by providers like Direct and Central. From state minimums to comprehensive coverage, Infinity offers a suite of auto insurance products.
Where is Infinity auto insurance available?
Unfortunately, Infinity auto insurance is only available in four states:
Who is Infinity auto insurance best for?
While Infinity specializes in “non-standard” auto insurance policies, it also offers a selection of policy options that range from state minimums to comprehensive. Infinity could be a great choice if you are having trouble getting coverage elsewhere, need an SR-22, or simply need affordable coverage.
What auto insurance coverage does Infinity offer?
- Liability protection. Pays for property and bodily damage that result from an accident.
- Collision and comprehensive damage. Pays for damage to your car if you hit another car or object; also covers fire, flooding, hail, theft or vandalism.
- Personal injury protection. Covers the cost of doctors, hospitalization or even funerals if you or a passenger is injured or killed, no matter who is at fault in the accident.
- Uninsured motorists coverage. Pays for costs of damage or injury from a hit-and-run accident or an incident where the other driver is uninsured. This covers you and your passengers and can include medical expenses, lost wages and other injury-related losses.
- Underinsured motorists coverage. This type of coverage takes care of the gap between someone else’s policy limits and the actual cost of your medical expenses after an accident.
- SR-22. An SR-22 is essentially a confirmation that you meet the minimum coverage requirements in your state. They are generally required after multiple driving infractions, DUI’s, license suspensions, or other major incidents.
Discounts on Infinity auto insurance
Infinity offers a number of discounts that help keep its prices competitive. While discounts will vary depending on location, driver details, and many other factors, here’s what might be available to you:
- Multi-Car Discount. Save up to to 38% when you insure multiple vehicles with Infinity
- Safe Driver Discount. Save up to 25% when you have a clean driving record.
- Paid In Full Discount. Save up to 15% for paying policy premiums in a lump-sum payment.
- Electronic Payment. Save money when you switch to automatic, electronic payments.
- Switch-And-Save Discount. Save up to 15% for switching from another insurance provider.
- Mature driver discount. Save money if you’re over 55 and complete a driving course.
- Anti-theft discount. Receive discounted rates when insuring vehicles with anti-theft devices.
- VIN etching discount. If your vehicle has VIN etchings/engravings, you could save.
- Vehicle safety discount. Receive a discount when your vehicle has safety devices installed.
- Memberships discounts. Discounts for being a member of affiliates, like AAA or the military.
- Loyal customer discounts. Receive discounted rates just for being a long time policyholder.
- Low mileage discount. You may be eligible for lower premiums if you are a low mileage driver.
Does Infinity offer any special programs?
Infinity offers a few special programs that can help make the auto insurance experience more convenient for its customers:
- Mobile app. Infinity offers a mobile app that can be used to manage your policy, display ID cards, find repair shops, and more.
- Infinity Driver Club. Get access to 24/7 roadside assistance and only pay for it when you use the service.
- Independent agents. Infinity’s independent agents are able to meet with customers to discuss policy details, coverage needs, and more.
- Repair Satisfaction Vehicle Program. Infinity has a network of certified repair shops that can speed up the claims process to get you back on the road in no time.
- Learning center. This provider offers a comprehensive learning center with driving tips, insurance info, and other resources to better educate visitor to its website.
- Custom coverage. This provider offers coverage options for every budget, but also gives customers the option to speak with an agent and set up a custom policy.
Pros and cons of Infinity auto insurance
- Coverage options for every budget. Infinity prides itself on providing some legitimate form of coverage to every customer who can only afford the bare minimum to meet legal requirements, like SR-22 insurance. Other insurance companies sometimes don’t have options to suit drivers with very small budgets.
- Free DriverClub membership. Whether you have an Infinity auto insurance policy or not, you can sign up for the free Infinity DriverClub and call its 24/7 roadside assistance hotline if you need help. You’ll only pay for services you use rather than dealing with a monthly or annual membership fee.
- Negative customer feedback. Of all Infinity’s customer reviews on the Better Business Bureau’s (BBB) website, 96% were negative. In fact, Infinity received significantly more negative feedback in 2016 than other insurance providers of similar size. State regulators also report above-average numbers of complaints from Infinity customers about their insurance provider.
- Lack of availability. Currently, Infinity is only issuing new policies to drivers in Arizona, California, Florida and Texas. If you live elsewhere and don’t plan to move south, you may be out of luck with this provider.
- Lack of policy information. While the website is fairly easy to navigate and offers a great learning center, it doesn’t provide much information on the auto insurance policies that are available.
Infinity auto insurance customer reviews
While the company’s financial stability is excellent according to A.M. Best, state regulators report that they received a lot of complaints about Infinity in 2016 — significantly more than the median number of complaints for a national insurance company. Some of these complaints include delays in claims processing, low claim settlements and outright denials of claims that should have been covered by existing policies.
Out of 49 total customer reviews submitted through the BBB, 47 of them were negative — that’s 96% negative customer feedback through just one rating site. Since the BBB uses many other factors to rate a company, such as transparency and customer conflict resolution, Infinity still holds a B+ independent rating and a total score of 3.04 out of 5 possible stars.
When considering customer reviews, remember that ratings and reviews can help you tell what it’s like to deal with a company as a customer, but it’s often the worst case scenarios that get reported. Customers usually rate a product or service when they want to rant about a bad experience, so take these scores with a grain of salt.
How to apply for coverage with Infinity Insurance
- Start by visiting Infinity’s website, entering your zip code, then click “Get a quote”.
- Enter number of drivers and vehicles, then continue
- Enter your personal information, email address, and phone number
- Enter address information, then click continue.
- Select the date you’d like coverage start, then proceed to adding vehicle information.
- Enter your driver information, then continue.
- Select the policy that best suits your needs, then proceed to the next step.
- Enter the VIN number and annual mileage of your vehicle then click continue.
- You may be prompted to call an agent to pay for your policy and get covered. Keep your quote ID handy just in case.
If you’d rather apply by phone, you can contact Infinity at 1-800-463-4648.
How to file an auto insurance claim with Infinity Insurance
Reporting a claim with Infinity can be done online or by phone. Here’s how:
- Visit the Infinity website, hover over the “Claims center” drop-down, and select “Report a claim”
- Select “Report claim online”
- Log into your account/policy.
- Fill in incident details, driver and vehicle information, personal information for all parties, and any other information you’re asked for.
- Submit your claim and wait to hear back from an Infinity agent. You can also check claim status on the mobile app or by logging into your account.
Start by calling 1 (800) 334 – 1661
- Press 1 for English or 2 for Spanish
- Press 1 to report an accident
- Press 1 for new claim/accident
- Press 1 for policyholder -> enter policy number
- Press 2 for non-policyholder -> connects to agent
How to contact Infinity Insurance
There are a handful of ways you can get in touch with Infinity. Navigate to the “Contact Us” page on the Infinity website to find more details on how to contact them by:
- Live chat
What other types of coverage does Infinity offer?
Infinity is a multi-line insurance company, meaning they offer several types of insurance beyond auto coverage. However, auto insurance is the only type of policy that is offered directly by Infinity, everything else is issued through non-affiliated insurance companies.
- Auto and leisure insurance. Infinity will cover your car, RV, ATV, boat, motorcycle, classic car or rideshare such as Uber and Lyft.
- Business coverage. Aside from general liability insurance, get coverage for commercial auto, commercial property, professional liability, workers’ compensation, home-based businesses and business interruption insurance to cover time-based losses from fires or other damages.
- Home insurance. Infinity works with non-affiliated companies to help you get the best value for home insurance. Whether you own your own home, rent an apartment or condo or live in a mobile unit, Infinity can find you coverage.
- Life insurance. Like its home insurance offerings, Infinity works with non-affiliated providers to offer term life insurance policies.
- Umbrella policies. When you want to bring all your insurance policies under one roof to deal with one provider and pay one bill, Infinity can help. You could be eligible for discounts or other helpful perks.
Companies similar to Infinity Insurance
Infinity’s coverage is geared toward drivers who are considered too high risk by many other providers. If you find yourself in that position, and you live in an area where Infinity’s policies are offered, this could be the perfect way to address your coverage needs.
However, online access and policy information is limited, making it difficult to explore its available policy options. Compare insurance providers with our comprehensive car insurance guide, and assess your options carefully to find the best insurer possible.