Infinity car insurance review
You may have luck even if you've been denied by other insurers.
finder.com’s rating: 4 / 5.0
- Get a quote if you can only afford the bare minimum coverage.
- Pick something else if you value customer support over discounted rates.
- Drivers with a history of accidents or claims or who need an SR-22 can get coverage.
New car protection
|States served||Arizona, California, Florida, Texas|
|Pay schedule||12 months, 6 months|
|Claims methods||online, phone|
|New car protection||No|
- Coverage options for every budget
- SR-22 options
- Free DriverClub membership
- Low customer feedback
- Limited to 4 states
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Rideshare coverage||Yes (only in Miami)|
|Temporary & short term coverage||No|
Roslyn McKenna is an insurance publisher for finder.com, where she's driven to help people get a great deal on car, life, home and other insurance to protect their families and finances. Roslyn earned a Bachelor of Arts in writing and communications from Maryville College and has written professionally for more than a decade on topics ranging from technology and pets to finance and insurance.
Infinity’s coverage is geared toward drivers who are considered too high risk by many other providers. If you find yourself in that position, and you live in an area where Infinity’s policies are offered, this could be the perfect way to address your coverage needs.
However, Infinity is not the best pick for most drivers. Online access and policy information is generally limited, making it difficult to explore its available product options. The company has mostly negative reviews online, which is why this insurer is a good pick for drivers who don’t have many other options.
Where is Infinity auto insurance available?
Infinity is the third largest provider of nonstandard auto insurance in the country, rivaled by providers like Direct and Central. Unfortunately, Infinity auto insurance is only available in four states:
What auto insurance coverage does Infinity offer?
- Collision and comprehensive damage. Pays for damage to your car if you hit another car or object. Also covers fire, flooding, hail, theft or vandalism.
- Liability protection. Pays for property and bodily damage that result from an accident.
- Personal injury protection. Covers the cost of doctors, hospitalization or even funerals if you or a passenger is injured or killed, no matter who is at fault in the accident.
- Rideshare coverage. Covers you on your side job driving for Uber, Lyft or any other rideshare company.
- SR-22. An SR-22 is required after a major driving conviction to prove you’re insured.
- Underinsured motorists coverage. This type of coverage takes care of the gap between someone else’s policy limits and the actual cost of your medical expenses after an accident.
- Uninsured motorists coverage. Pays for costs of damage or injury from a hit-and-run accident or an incident where the other driver is uninsured. This covers you and your passengers and can include medical expenses, lost wages and other injury-related losses.
Discounts on Infinity auto insurance
Infinity offers a number of discounts that help keep its prices competitive. Discount availability will vary depending on location, driver details and many other factors, but here’s what you might be able to save:
- Good driver. Save up to 25% when you have a clean driving record. Older drivers in California and Florida can take a driver-safety course to save even more.
- Good student. Full-time student drivers who maintain a B-average or higher may qualify.
- Homeowners. You may be eligible for lower premiums if you own your home.
- Loyalty. Renewing year after year may qualify you for a discount.
- Membership. Discounts for being a member of AAA.
- Multicar. Save up to to 38% when you insure multiple vehicles with Infinity
- Payments. Save up to 15% for paying policy premiums in a lump-sum payment. Save even more money when you switch to automatic, electronic payments.
- Safe car. Receive discounted rates when insuring vehicles with antitheft devices, antilock brakes and airbags.
- Switch and save. Shave some of the cost off just by getting an online quote, but get even more off by starting it at least six days before your old coverage ends. Then save up to 15% for switching from another insurance provider.
Pros and cons of Infinity
- Coverage options for every budget. Infinity prides itself on providing legitimate forms of coverage to customers who can only afford the bare minimum to meet legal requirements, like SR-22 insurance. Other insurance companies sometimes don’t have options to suit drivers with very small budgets.
- Roadside assistance membership. Whether you have an Infinity auto insurance policy or not, you can sign up for the free Infinity DriverClub and call its 24/7 roadside assistance hotline if you need help. You’ll only pay for services you use rather than dealing with a monthly or annual membership fee.
- Service available in Spanish. You can swap the site to Spanish and go through the quote process, sign up for DriverClub or read any of the Infinity knowledge center articles. Phone support also includes a Spanish option.
- Negative customer feedback. State regulators report above-average numbers of complaints from Infinity customers. Its parent company, Kemper, also received below-average marks in the 2019 J.D. Power Auto Insurance Study for the California Region.
- Lack of availability. Currently, Infinity is only issuing new policies to drivers in Arizona, California, Florida and Texas. If you live elsewhere and don’t plan on moving, you may be out of luck with this provider.
- Lack of policy information. While the website is fairly straightforward to navigate and offers a knowledge center with general car and insurance resources, it doesn’t provide much information on the auto insurance policies that are available.
Companies alternatives to Infinity car insurance
Infinity auto insurance customer reviews
While the company’s financial stability is excellent according to AM Best, state regulators report that they received a lot of complaints about Infinity in 2016 — significantly more than the median number of complaints for a national insurance company. Some of these complaints include delays in claims processing, low claim settlements and outright denials of claims that should have been covered by existing policies.
Out of 95 total customer reviews submitted through the Better Business Bureau (BBB) as of February 2020, 93 of them were overwhelmingly negative — leaving it with just 1 out of 5 stars. Since the BBB uses many other factors to rate a company, such as transparency and customer conflict resolution, Infinity still holds an A- rating with the agency.
How to apply for coverage with Infinity
You can choose between two ways to apply for car insurance with Infinity.
- Go to the Infinity website.
- Entering your ZIP code, then click Get a quote.
- Enter number of drivers and vehicles, then continue.
- Enter your personal information, email address and phone number.
- Enter address information, then click Continue.
- Select the date you’d like coverage start, then proceed to adding vehicle information.
- Enter your driver information, then continue.
- Select the policy that best suits your needs, then proceed to the next step.
- Enter the VIN number and annual mileage of your vehicle then click Continue.
- You may be prompted to call an agent to pay for your policy and get covered. Keep your quote ID handy just in case.
Call Infinity at 800-463-4648 to apply by phone.
How to file an auto insurance claim with Infinity
Reporting a claim with Infinity can also be done online or by phone. Here’s how:
- Visit the Infinity website.
- Go to Claims center and select Report a claim.
- Select Report claim online.
- Log in to your account.
- Fill in incident details, driver and vehicle information, personal information for all parties and any other information you’re asked for.
- Submit your claim and wait to hear back from an Infinity agent. You can also check claim status on the mobile app or by logging into your account.
Start by calling 800-334-1661
- Press 1 for English or 2 for Spanish
- Press 1 to report an accident
- Press 1 for new claim or accident
- Press 1 for policyholder then enter your policy number
- Press 2 for non-policyholder and connect directly to an agent
How to contact Infinity
There are a handful of ways you can get in touch with Infinity.
- Live chat: Go to the Infinity website
- Phone: 800-782-2040
- Email: email@example.com
- Mail: PO Box 830189, Birmingham AL 35283
- Fax: 205-803-8080
Frequently asked questions about Infinity
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.