Indigo® Platinum Mastercard® Credit Card review
A no-frills subprime card that helps you improve your credit.
finder.com’s rating: 3.8 / 5.0
- Get this card if you want an unsecured card.
- Pick something else if you don’t want to pay an annual fee or you want a lower APR.
- See if you prequalify with less than perfect credit.
for the first year (up to $99 thereafter)
Purchase APR (fixed)
Recommended credit score
Megan Horner is the credit cards publisher at Finder. She's passionate about helping you find the best credit cards to meet your financial needs — whether that's earning great rewards or improving your credit score. Megan's expertise has been spotlighted on Lifehacker, CreditCards.com, American Banker and featured on news broadcasts across the country.
If you’ve had trouble establishing or improving credit, the Indigo® Platinum Mastercard® Credit Card might be for you. It offers a potential $0 annual fee for the first year, a 1% foreign transaction fee and reports to all three major credit bureaus.
Depending on your credit profile, the Indigo® Platinum Mastercard® Credit Card may forgo the annual fee entirely, rather than offer a one year welcome offer period. Plus, you can prequalify for this card, saving your credit score from the unfavorable dip of a hard pull.
Strongly consider paying off your monthly balances within the interest grace period. The Indigo® Platinum Mastercard® Credit Card comes with a higher-than-average purchase APR, and your APR could balloon indefinitely after even one late payment. Used responsibly however, the Indigo® Platinum Mastercard® Credit Card‘s travel perks and opportunity for no annual fee make this a solid card if you need to build your credit.
How to see if you prequalify for the Indigo® Platinum Mastercard® Credit Card
- Click Apply now.
- Complete the prequalification form with details like your name, address, Social Security number, date of birth and contact information.
- Review your information and submit your form.
How long will it take to get my Indigo® Platinum Mastercard® Credit Card?
Typically, you’ll receive a decision on your prequalification form within 60 seconds.
- Potential first-year $0 annual fee. Depending on your credit profile, you could potentially have no annual fee for the first year. The higher your credit score, the more likely you’ll receive this benefit. After the first year, your annual fee will be $99.
- Get prequalified. You’ll know if you have a good chance of getting this card within a few minutes. This won’t affect your credit score, as Celtic Bank — the card’s managing bank — will initiate a soft pull on your credit history.
- Reports to credit bureaus. Celtic Bank reports your responsible spending to the three major credit bureaus — Equifax, Experian and TransUnion. This can help you improve your credit score for better rates on mortgages, car loans and other financing.
You’ll also like …
- 1% foreign transaction fee. It’s not 0%, but most providers charge a 3% foreign transaction fee.
- Access your account through mobile. Check your account on the go through your mobile device, which will help you monitor your spending and use your account responsibly.
- Purchase and travel benefits. When you pay for your car rental with your card, you’ll receive coverage against physical damage and theft. Roadside assistance for peace of mind against car troubles is also provided. Travel Assistance Services can provide you with help before and during vacation. Get pre-trip planning assistance and find referrals to medical and professional services if you’re in a pinch on your trip. Finally, you’ll also receive extended warranties on eligible items that you buy with your card.
- No cash advance fees for the first year. After that, each cash advance comes with a fee of $5 or 5% of the transaction, whichever is greater.
Though you won’t pay cash advance fees the first year, consider avoiding cash advances entirely. They come with a high interest rate and you won’t enjoy a grace period on them — meaning interest will start accumulating immediately after you make the draw.
Compare cards for building credit
What to watch out for
- You may be charged an annual fee. Depending on your credit, you may need to pay an annual fee. You may be charged $0, $59, or $75 for the first year and $99 thereafter.
- High purchase APR. You’ll receive a high fixed APR on purchases. However, it’s not uncommon for subprime unsecured cards to have APRs well above the average rate.
- Penalty APR. If you make a late payment, Celtic Bank may apply a fixed penalty APR to all of your balances. You may be saddled with this higher rate indefinitely.
- High cash advance APR. Cash advance APRs are often high, but this card has one that’s higher than most products.
What should I know before I check for prequalification?
Before filling out the prequalification form for the Indigo® Platinum Mastercard® Credit Card, read the card’s terms and conditions. If you’ve decided on the card, make sure you’re eligible and that you have the required information on-hand:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be at least 19 years old if you live in Alabama
Required documents and information
- Full name and personal contact information
- Email address and phone number
- Social Security number and date of birth
- In some cases, bank account information, employment details and annual income
What credit score do I need?
Celtic Bank offers the product to those with less than perfect credit. The higher your credit score, the more likely you’ll prequalify.
Indigo® Platinum Mastercard® Credit Card reviews and complaints
Customers have mixed reviews for the Indigo® Platinum Mastercard® Credit Card. Some cardholders say payments post quickly and the card helped them improve their credit. Others say they’ve received low credit limits, the customer service is confusing and it can be difficult to complete payments.
Celtic Bank isn’t accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB). It earns a B rating from the agency. As of October 2020, it has over 90 customer complaints; however, according to the BBB, half of them have been answered or resolved.
I got the card. Now what?
- Avoid interest. This card comes with a high interest rate on all balances. Consider paying off your balances within the grace period to avoid accruing interest.
- Avoid fees. Late and returned payments come with fees as high as $40. Overlimit transactions also come with fees as high as $40.
- Contact customer service. If you have questions about or issues with your account, contact the number on the back of your credit card. Alternatively, call 866-946-9545.
The Indigo® Platinum Mastercard® Credit Card doesn’t come with many benefits. However, it’s an unsecured card that may help you improve your credit if used correctly. As your credit score increases, you may be able to apply for a rewards card or find a balance transfer card.
Frequently asked questions
Credit card ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our team evaluates credit cards to determine their value against similar cards on the market.
We rank card types — travel, cash back, business — on a set of factors that are most relevant to that type of card. We create these rankings to help you narrow down a credit card that best suits your spending and budget.