Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Thomas Cook India international money transfers
Send money overseas using Thomas Cook India international money transfers.
Thomas Cook is one of India’s oldest travel and travel-related financial services companies and has its headquarters in Mumbai. It started operations in 1881 and currently provides a range of travel services such as foreign exchange, domestic and international vacations, travel insurance, passport and visa services. Thomas Cook started its “Send Money Abroad” operations in early 2013, allowing its customers to transfer money to the bank account of beneficiaries in more than 120 countries across the globe.
Thomas Cook India foreign exchange rates
Thomas Cook India’s website has a section where live foreign exchange rates are displayed. As an example, we have listed the exchange rates for the currencies in which you can make international money transfers through Thomas Cook India. These rates are correct as on 14 May 2018.
|Currency code||Currency||Remittance rates|
|NZD||New Zealand dollar||48.5|
Keep in mind that the rates displayed do not take into account the transfer fees and any charges by the beneficiary bank.Back to top
How much does it cost to transfer money with Thomas Cook India?
Thomas Cook India charges a flat transfer fee of INR750 for each money transfer. The sender also has to pay Goods and Services Tax (GST) as per Indian tax laws. Apart from this, either the sender or the recipient has to bear the foreign bank charges, which vary depending on the currency that you are looking to transfer (eg US$13 for transferring US dollars).Back to top
Minimum transfer amount and available countries
The minimum amount you can transfer using Thomas Cook India depends on the currency you are transferring. The various minimum transfer amounts are listed in the table below.
|Currency||Minimum transfer amount|
|New Zealand dollar||NZD50|
Before initiating any transfer, you should be aware of the Indian regulations governing international money transfers. Indian nationals can transfer a maximum of US$250,000 or its equivalent in an Indian financial year. This is also the maximum limit for overseas money transfers by an Indian national using Thomas Cook India.
You can transfer money to bank accounts of beneficiaries in more than 120 countries using Thomas Cook India. Contact Thomas Cook India’s customer support if you are unsure whether it supports money transfers to the country you are looking to transfer to.
What types of transfers can you carry out with Thomas Cook India?
- Wire transfers
Thomas Cook India can help facilitate an international money transfer (TT/Swift Transfer) to bank accounts in more than 120 countries across the world.
The registration and transfer process
You don’t need to have an account with Thomas Cook India to make a wire transfer. The steps are pretty simple.
- Step 1. Select the currency and the amount you want to transfer.
- Step 2. Fill in your email address and mobile number, and select the state and city where your nearest Thomas Cook India branch is located.
- Step 3.The next screen will show the total payable amount.
- Step 4. Select the purpose of the money transfer.
- Step 5. You can choose to pay the full amount now by National Electronic Funds Transfer (NEFT) or Real Time Gross Settlement (RTGS) transfer through your bank account. Alternately you can pay 4% of the total payable amount now (by NEFT or RTGS) to lock the exchange rate for 2 days. Another option is for you to pay the entire amount at the Thomas Cook India branch by demand draft or cheque. However, if you opt to pay at the branch, the prevailing exchange rate will be applicable.
- Step 6. Fill in the beneficiary details, including the bank SWIFT code.
- Step 7. Submit the order.
- Step 8. Go to the Thomas Cook India branch to complete Know Your Customer (KYC) formalities and process the money transfer request.
The money is usually credited in the beneficiary account within two working days.Back to top
Get access to a Thomas Cook India customer service representative over email, over the phone (8am IST to 8pm IST) or in person at one of its outlets. Thomas Cook India also has an Android app that you can use to get in touch with its representative.
Pros and cons of using Thomas Cook India
- Low minimum amount.
- You can lock the exchange rate for 2 days by paying 4% of the total payable amount.
- Flat transfer fee of INR750.
- You can transfer to bank accounts in more than 120 countries.
- A number of currencies are not supported so you may need to use an alternative provider if you’re sending an exotic currency.
- You have to physically go to a Thomas Cook India branch to complete the formalities for the wire transfer.
- Thomas Cook India is licensed to provide forex services to Indian nationals only.
What other products and services does Thomas Cook India offer?
- Buying and selling foreign currency. You can buy and sell foreign currency notes through Thomas Cook India.
- Forex travel card. Thomas Cook India can issue prepaid forex travel cards (multi-currency and single currency) in eight currencies.
- Holiday packages. Thomas Cook India can arrange custom domestic and international holiday packages for you.
- Visa services. You can avail Thomas Cook India’s comprehensive visa services to help you with procuring a visa for travel to various countries.
- Travel services. Thomas Cook India offers a wide range of travel services such as flight bookings, hotel bookings, travel insurance etc.
How does Thomas Cook India compare to other providers
Frequently asked questions about Thomas Cook India
A final word
Thomas Cook India is a renowned Indian company that has been specialising in travel services for more than 100 years, having branches in all Indian tier-1 and most tier-2 cities. As such, it can be a good alternative to major Indian banks if you want to transfer money from India to other countries. However, you should compare the exchange rates it offers against those offered by other providers before opting for it as your provider of international money transfer services.Back to top
Image: Thomas Cook India
More guides on Finder
Airtel Payments Bank review
This article provides a complete overview of the Airtel Payments Bank account. Read all about its features, fees, drawbacks, and how to open an account.
ICICI Bank Insta Save Account review
This article provides a complete overview of the ICICI Bank Insta Save account. Read about its features, fees, drawbacks, and how to open an account.
Axis Bank ASAP Review
This article provides a complete overview of Axis Bank’s ASAP Account. Read all about its features, fees, drawbacks, and how to open an account.
Nexo review: Is it safe for high interest returns?
Nexo is a cryptocurrency lending and borrowing platform that offers high interest rates on cryptocurrencies, stablecoins and fiat. We review the features available and look at how safe your funds would be on the platform.
Mobile-only banks (digital banks) are offering a whole new way to manage your money. Find out more about what these banks are offering and whether they’re right for you.
Coronavirus (COVID-19): Stocks to buy and how to invest in India
What should share traders do during a stock market crash?
Banks with Google Pay in India
This article provides a complete list of the banks that support Google Pay in India, plus how to set up the digital wallet in your device.
Streaming Statistics India
India ranks 8th out of 18 for the percentage of its population with at least one streaming service, with 56.94% paying for a subscription.
Where can I find cheap stock brokerage in India?
Looking for a cheap way to buy and sell shares on Indian and other international exchanges? Your guide to finding cheap stock brokerage in India here.
How to buy shares in India (2021 update)
Learn everything you need to know in this easy to follow, step-by-step guide to buying shares in India.
Ask an Expert