This article contains links to products or services from one or more of our advertisers or partners. We may receive a commission when you click or make a purchase using our site. Learn more about how we make money.
Compare the pros and cons of trading with one of India's most popular stock brokers.
Sharekhan is a stockbroker based in India, which offers investment services to retail, corporate and institutional investors. Its trading accounts come with a range of financial products, multiple trading platforms, investment ideas and even educational workshops.
This review will compare the pros and cons of Sharekhan trading accounts for retail investors, including the fees and features you should take note of.
Compare Sharekhan as an online broker
What markets can I trade with Sharekhan?
Sharekhan only grants access to Indian markets. It is, therefore, better suited to traders and investors focused exclusively on investments in India.
Sharekhan generally offers two types of accounts for retail investors: a Trading Account or InstaMF account. Trading accounts offer access to instruments like stocks, options and futures, while InstaMF is primarily for investors interested in mutual funds.
While there is one InstaMF account available, there are four types of Trading Accounts you may choose from.
- First step: best for new investors
- Investor Classic: for more experienced investors
- Trade Tiger: for active traders
- Portfolio Management Services: exclusively for high net-worth individuals
Sharekhan Trading Account features
Regardless of which trading account you choose, you may generally expect the following features.
- A range of trading products
- Stocks and ETFs: You can access stocks and ETFs on the National Stock Exchange and Bombay Stock Exchange.
- Options and futures: You can trade with options and futures on the National Stock Exchange and Multi Commodity Exchange.
- Forex: To trade forex, you will have to trade with currencies only as futures. Currency pairs include EURINR, USDINR, JPYINR, EURUSD, GBPUSD, USDJPY. EURINR, USDINR, JPYINR, EURUSD, GBPUSD, USDJPY.
- Mutual funds: Sharekhan currently has over 50 mutual funds on offer.
- Four trading platforms to choose from
- Sharekhan Apps. The Sharekhan app comes in two versions: the standard Sharekhan app and Sharekhan mini. Sharekhan mini is a lite version of the Sharekhan app that can function even on 2G connection. Both these apps are available to IOS and Android users.
- Sharekhan desktop and web. While the Sharekhan apps are intuitive and convenient to use, seasoned investors may prefer using a web trading platform due to the higher level of customisability available.
- Sharekhan Dial-N-Trade. This free service allows investors to place orders via phone call.
- Quick deposits and withdrawals: Sharekhan supports deposits and withdrawals via bank transfer and not with credit/debit cards or digital wallets. Do note that you may only transact and hold your account in Indian Rupees.
- Alerts: Set alerts to be notified of stock movements, news, company announcements and board meetings.
- Ideas and research: Use Sharekhan’s interactive charts, stock ideas, news feeds and fundamentals research to discover new investment ideas.
- Customer support: Sharekhan offers live chat functionality in a wide range of languages. Telephone and email support in local languages is supported as well.
- Sharekhan classroom: Enjoy trading tutorials, educational videos, and free workshops covering topics including personal finance and forex trading.
What are Sharekhan’s trading fees?
Trading fees are fees associated with buying and selling financial products. These fees often include commissions, spreads, and currency conversion fees.
SharekKhan, unfortunately, does not list its trading fees on its website or portfolio reports. We’ve collated a general list of fees below, but do get in touch with Sharekhan’s customer support team to understand how much you could end up paying depending on your account type and how you intend to trade.
- Intraday equity trading
- Equity delivery trading
- Equity futures trading
- Equity options
- Currency futures
- Currency options
- Commodity trading
These fees are costs incurred from account-related activities, such as holding your account or withdrawing money from it.
- Inactivity fee: none
- Withdrawal fee: none
- Account fee: 400 Rupees after your second year of holding the account
Pros and cons
- Relatively low fees
- Intuitive trading platforms
- Strong customer support services
- Only grants access to Indian markets
- Only supports trading in Rupees
- Accounts are only available to Indian residents or non-resident Indians
- No access to CFDs or cryptocurrency
Is Sharekhan safe?
Sharekhan is a subsidiary of BNP Paribas and is further regulated by the Securities and Exchange Board of India. As such, it is generally considered safe due to the stability associated with its parent company and the regulation it is subject to.
Note: Investing and trading itself always carries risks which you should be aware of, so read up before you start investing. Do your research and compare brokers in India before signing up with any trading platform.
How do I sign up for an account?
It generally takes one to three days to open an account with Sharekhan. You can sign up easily for an account online, without any minimum initial deposit, as long as you are an Indian resident or non-resident Indian.
Follow these steps to sign up with Sharekhan.
- Click the “Go to Site” button above and register directly via Sharekhan’s website. You’ll have to fill up a registration form including your name, mobile number and email address.
- You will be prompted to submit supporting documents. This may include a copy of your Pan card, proof of residence, bank statements, and passport. Do note that you may be asked to submit additional documents if you’ve indicated an interest in trading futures and options. This could include an acknowledged copy of your ITR, salary slips, or a net worth certificate.
Sharekhan offers a wide range of trading accounts for retail investors. While its products come with low account-related fees, intuitive trading platforms and helpful investment ideas, it only offers trading related to Indian markets. You should, therefore, consider your purpose for investing and individual preferences, as well as clarify any queries with Sharekhan before signing up for an account.
More guides on Finder
What does the future hold for investments?
Finder speaks with 33 investment experts about what the future of investing might hold.
Top stocks for Diwali 2020
Learn more about India’s most popular stock picks for this Diwali season.
Use this review to compare the pros and cons of using Religare’s 2-in-1 account.
Angel Broking Review
With Angel Broking, you won’t have to pay an annual maintenance fee in the first year of your trading account.
Mamaearth coupon codes and discounts December 2020: Flat 20% off + Extra 5% off + 10% cashback
See how much you could save on innovative, natural skincare solutions today with one of our Mamaearth coupon codes.
Bajaj Finserv Securities Review
Bajaj Finserv offers personalised investment solutions to meet your trading needs.
Trade Smart Online Review
Learn about the fees and features of a Trade Smart account here.
Read on to find out what you stand to gain with an Upstox account.
5Paisa offers a range of customisable trading plans suited to meet the needs of the everyday investor.
Zerodha offers a range of trading platforms and financial securities at a low cost.
Ask an Expert