Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Send money to the USA
Compare online money transfers for the cheapest way to send money online from India to the US.
For a cost-effective way to send money to the United States, it’s best to keep an eye out for services offering the following:
- Zero transfer fees. You can’t get lower than that.
- The best rates. Investigate brands that guarantee to beat any competitor’s exchange rate.
If you are a US national, with a valid visa and valid residential permit that lets you live and work in India, it is important to know the regulations related to foreign nationals opening an Indian bank account. It is also important for you to be aware of the regulations for international remittances out of India.
Compare your options to transfer funds to the USA
We’ve assembled a list of these services so you can compare the cheapest method to send money from India to the USA.
How to send money to the US from India
There are generally two different transfer methods:
- Money transfer services. Some companies offering this service from India are Thomas Cook India, ExTravelMoney, BookMyForex, UAEExchangeIndia, InstaReM, BuyForexOnline, and FxKart.
- Bank Transfers. The US dollar is one of the most popular currencies, so it’s safe to assume that any major bank will offer it. Certain banks such as Citibank and HSBC, offer competitive terms.
How do I compare transfer companies when transferring money to the US?
Comparing transfer companies and banks could save you money, when you consider the following:
- Competitive exchange rates. Small differences in the exchange rate can have a big impact when transferring large amounts of money.
- Minimal fees. Fees may vary depending on the institution and the currency involved.
- A range of transfer methods. Both banks and transfer companies offer online transfers using a bank account or credit card. However, some may advise you to visit an agent and start the transfer in person.
- Reliable customer service. The accessibility of a customer service representative is also worth considering in the event that something goes wrong.
Need an emergency cash transfer in the USA?
If you misplace your wallet or cash while travelling in the USA, there are several ways to receive more money and finish your vacation:
- Transfer service company. A friend or relative in India can send you emergency money through a transfer company, but you must provide photo identification.
- Bank transfers. Your Indian bank may be able to do an internal transfer to a US bank account, but fees will apply for this emergency service.
- Credit card. Some credit card companies offer complimentary travel insurance as a card feature. Contact your provider if your insurance policy has been activated and use that insurance to replace your lost cash.
- Travel Insurance. Depending on the extent of your coverage, the lost or stolen money could be replaced.
What documentation do I need?
A bank-to-bank transfer is ideal if you’re regularly sending money to the US to cover bills and investments. However, if you need to send money quickly, it’s worth considering a cash transfer agency and making note of the following:
- The recipient’s full name. The beneficiary of a cash transfer will need to show photo identification, so make sure the name on the order is the same as the name on the ID.
- Your full name. As an additional security measure, the agent may ask for the full name of the sender. Be sure that the recipient knows your complete name.
- Your recipient’s contact information and bank details. Both the sender and the recipient must have each other’s address and contact details.
- The tracking number. Keep the tracking number given to you upon sending the transfer as the recipient must provide this to the agent before the cash can be released.
Save all paperwork in case there’s a problem with the transfer. This serves as proof that the money was sent and will make it easier to recover. While India and the US are on opposite sides of the globe, they still maintain strong ties in their expat community and trade relations. When preparing your move, research the best ways to transfer money for both convenience and a competitive price.
More guides on Finder
Mobile-only banks (digital banks) are offering a whole new way to manage your money. Find out more about what these banks are offering and whether they’re right for you.
Gemini vs Coinbase
We compare these two large cryptocurrency exchanges to see how their fees, features and customer support stack up.
How to invest in US stocks from India (2021)
Learn how to find the cheapest brokerage fees and a range of flexible trading features when you buy and sell US shares.
How to buy Bitcoin with cash: 3 different ways
There are three easy ways to turn hard cash into cryptocurrency. Compare your options and pick the one that works best for you.
Coinbase cryptocurrency exchange | October 2021 review
Check out our complete review of Coinbase to see if it’s safe, weigh up pros and cons, compare fees and learn what you can do on it beyond simply buying cryptocurrency.
How to buy and trade Ripple (XRP)
Step-by-step instructions on how to buy XRP, the cryptocurrency used in the Ripple payment network, with fiat currency or digital currency.
How to buy Ethereum (ETH)
If you want to buy Ethereum’s Ether tokens (ETH) but don’t know how, find out everything you need to get started in this detailed guide.
How to buy Coinbase (COIN) shares from India
Steps to owning and managing Coinbase shares.
HDFC Securities review
Find out about the range of trading options available with the Indian banking giant HDFC.
Investing in the era of COVID-19: Finder’s Investing Report July 2020
Finder speaks with investment experts from around the world about what investing looks like in a post-COVID-19 world.
Ask an Expert