Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Send money to Thailand cheaply
Sending money to Thailand is easy with this simple guide.
Whether you want to send money back home to your family in Thailand or want to meet medical expenses there, it is easy to find a simple, cost-effective international money transfer service from India.
If you are a Thailand national, with a valid residential permit and a valid visa that lets you work and live in India, you need to be aware of the relevant regulations to open a bank account in India. It is also important to be aware of the relevant Indian regulations before you send money from India overseas.
Transfer funds to Thailand using a service below
How do I compare transfer companies when sending money to Thailand?
Check the following:
- Competitive exchange rate. It may not look like a big difference at first glance, but once you multiply the amount you plan to send, it’s easy to see how much you can lose if you don’t choose a company or bank that is cost effective.
- Little to no fees. To get the exact fee, you should look at them in conjunction with the exchange rate. To do this, you need to figure out what the fee would be in the receiving currency.
- Fast turnaround time. For somebody who is sending regular payments, having to wait for the bank transfer may be acceptable. However, in case of emergency, a money transfer service would be a better option because of the shorter turnaround time.
- A range of convenient pickup methods for your recipient. This is dependent on your circumstance and whether your beneficiary has the means to pick up money sent to them in person.
- Flexible transfer amounts. If you plan on sending large amounts of money at a time, it would be a good idea to find out what the wire transfer service providers limit the transactions to.
How do I send money to Thailand?
Unlike some exotic currencies, you can transfer Thai baht overseas with a large number of different financial institutions. Here’s a short list of companies and banks that may be worth looking into:
- Money transfer services. A lot of money transfer services will allow you to transfer funds to Thailand. Some companies offering this service from India are Thomas Cook India, UAEExchangeIndia, BookMyForex, InstaReM, BuyForexOnline, ExTravelMoney and FxKart.
- Banks. A lot of major Indian banks will allow you to send money to Thailand. You can do this at branches or online using specific online transfer services. Citibank offers their Non Resident Indian (NRI) Customers free global transfers to other Citibank accounts anywhere in the world.
Need to make an emergency cash transfer in Thailand?
Travellers to Thailand also need to consider how they can get cash in the event of an emergency. Here are a few options you can look into:
- Bank-to-bank transfer. You may be able to contact your local Indian bank and have cash sent to you in Thailand. Ask both your bank and the receiving bank how much the fees would be for this service.
- Travel insurance emergency assistance. If you purchased a travel insurance policy, or have travel insurance linked to your credit card prior to your trip to Thailand, you may be able to recover emergency money by contacting the provider.
What documentation do I need to send funds?
You can opt for bank-to-bank transfers for sending money to Thailand. If you choose to use a bank for the transfer, you will have to provide the following information:
- Bank account. You will need to have an existing bank account in the bank you choose to conduct a transfer. In some cases, the bank may allow you to set up your account before the move.
- Recipient bank. You will need the account number, routing number and SWIFT number for the bank where you are sending the money.
- Recipient name. The name of the account holder.
- Recipient address. Make sure that you know the exact address of the person who holds the Thai bank account where you are sending the money.
With some banks, this information will be stored, so that with subsequent transactions, you only need to pick the beneficiary.
With a bit of quick research you can save yourself a bundle on money when transferring money overseas.
More guides on Finder
Compare the pros and cons of investing with Sharekhan to see if it’s the best broker for you.
MoneyGram promo codes and discounts
Check out the latest MoneyGram discounts and offers to save on your next international money transfer.
TransferWise promo codes and discounts November 2020
Does Transferwise offer deals or discounts on money transfers?
Uphold Cryptocurrency Platform – November 2020 review
A comprehensive review of Uphold, the cloud-based financial services platform where you can hold, move, convert and transact in fiat currency, cryptocurrency and even commodities.
Axis Forex Online international money transfers
Make online international money transfers in 100+ currencies from India using Axis Forex Online.
UAE Exchange India international money transfers
Do you want to send money overseas from India to your friends or family? Check out UAE Exchange India as an alternative to banks.
onlineSBI international money transfers
Send money overseas from India to 11 countries using onlineSBI international money transfers.
Essel Forex international money transfers
Essel Forex international money transfers review: Send money overseas from India at low rates in 15 currencies.
IndusForex international money transfers
Send money overseas in 15 currencies from India using IndusForex.
Fxkart international money transfers
Looking to make international remittances from India to friends and family at economical rates? Consider FxKart to complete all the money transfer formalities at an affordable rate from the comfort of your home.
Ask an Expert