Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to send money to Kenya cheaply
Learn how to send money to Kenya so you can connect with friends and family
Do you want to send money to friends or family in Kenya? You can do it, but your choices are limited due to the exotic status of the Kenyan currency. If you are a Kenyan national, with a valid residential permit and a valid visa giving you permission to work and live in India, it is important to know the Indian regulations that govern opening a bank account in India. It is also important to know the various rules that govern remittance of foreign exchange overseas.
A lot of Indian banking institutions don’t allow transfers between Indian and Kenyan bank accounts, so you should speak to individual banks and also look at money transfer companies.
If you need to send money to Kenya, give our page a read for a comparison of the different companies that offer this service.
Banks vs money transfer companies
If you want to send money to Kenya, double check with your banking institution first. Some banks don’t offer electronic fund transfers to Kenyan bank accounts.
How to compare transfer companies when transferring money to Kenya
If you want to send money to Kenya, make sure you have a look at the following information when you get your quote on the funds transfer.
- The exchange rate. This is the amount of Kenyan shillings you get in exchange for each Indian rupee you send to Kenya. You can check the rate when you get your quote on the funds transfer.
- Transfer fees. Each provider will charge a fee for your money transfer to Kenya. Fees vary depending on how you want to send the funds. For example, cash transfers are priced differently compared to mobile payments. Like the exchange rate, you’re advised of any fees when you get the quote for the transfer.
- Collection methods. Different companies offer different options for receiving the funds. Some companies offer bank transfers and mobile payments, while other institutions will only allow a bank-to-bank transfer.
- Transfer methods. How can you send the funds? Most transfers are handled online but you can still send cash in person by visiting an outlet or a bank branch.
- Transfer options. Do you need to make a regular payment, or do you only need to make a one-off funds transfer?
- Minimum transfer amounts. How much do you need to send? While the upper limit is generally of no concern to most people, if you’re looking to carry out a small transaction, you should compare money transfer companies based on the minimum transaction allowed. Some companies have no minimum transfer amount, but they charge a fee if you’re sending under a certain amount.
- Customer service. Is speaking to someone to help you through the process something that’s important to you? Some companies pride themselves on their achievements with customer service and their willingness to go the extra mile for their customers. Consider this when comparing money transfer companies.
How to send money to Kenya from India
The choice of banks that let you send money to Kenya is limited. Check with your financial institution to see whether they offer money transfers to a Kenyan bank account.
- Citibank. One financial institution that lets you send money to a Kenyan bank account is Citibank. Although not one of the countries on the free global transfer list at Citibank, you can send money to Kenya from your Citibank account if you are a Non Resident Indian (NRI). Transfers can take up to five business days.
- Money Transfer Companies. You should check with providers offering international money transfer from India to find out whether they will offer you overseas money transfer facilities from India to Kenya. Some Indian providers to check with are FxKart, BuyForexOnline, UAEExchangeIndia, InstaReM, BookMyForex, ExTravelMoney and Thomas Cook India
Emergency cash transfers to Kenya
In the event of an emergency, you can get cash to Kenya quickly. You can avail the following option:
- An emergency cash advance. Visa, Mastercard and American Express will give you an emergency cash advance if your cards are lost or stolen and you’re unable to access the funds in your account. Give your bank and the card company a call, and they’ll let you know about a merchant close to your location where you can collect the funds.
How to send money to Kenya
The process for sending money to Kenya is a little different depending on the method you use.
If you want to send the money to a bank account in Kenya from your bank account in India, you’ll need the recipient’s bank account details and details of their banking institution, such as the SWIFT code. International fund transfers from your bank account are done through your online banking facility.
Money Transfer Companies
Contact the money transfer companies listed above to find out if they offer international money transfer facilities from India to Kenya.
Before you can send money to Kenya, you will need to create an account with the provider. You will need to provide the following details about yourself:
- Full name.
- Email address.
- Residential address.
- ID, such as a driver’s licence
If you want to send money to friends, family or anyone else in Kenya, a specialist money transfer companies can give you a few different ways to complete the transfer. Compare these companies based on their exchange rate and the fees for the transfer. If you have any questions about how to send money to Kenya, get in touch with us using the form below.Back to top
More guides on Finder
INR to KES exchange rate
Live exchange rates Indian Rupee to Kenyan Shilling. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to KES.
INR to USD Exchange Rate
Live exchange rates for the Indian Rupee to the US Dollar. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to USD.
India Remittance Statistics
India receives nearly $70 billion worth in remittances. But where is all that money coming from? Finder digs into World Bank data to find out.
Investing in the era of COVID-19
Finder speaks with investment experts from around the world about what investing looks like in a post-COVID-19 world.
Saxo Bank Stock Trading Review: Share trading account
Saxo Capital Markets share trading allows you to trade shares 19,000 companies on 37 global stock exchanges and provides lower commissions for active traders.
How to buy gold online in India
If you’re thinking of investing in gold, our guide will explain how and where to buy gold in India as well as the pros and cons of buying gold.
Remitly promo codes and discounts November 2020
Don’t pay too much for a money transfer. Check out the latest Remitly promo codes and discounts.
MoneyGram promo codes and discounts
Check out the latest MoneyGram discounts and offers to save on your next international money transfer.
TransferWise promo codes and discounts November 2020
Does Transferwise offer deals or discounts on money transfers?
InstaReM discount codes and exclusive coupons – November 2020
Find out how to get a discount on international money transfers using an InstaReM promo code.
Ask an Expert