Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Send money to Indonesia cheaply
Indonesian expats living in India can find cheap methods to send money back home.
Whether you’re sending a monetary gift to Indonesia or paying your monthly bill, you can find an inexpensive way to transfer funds overseas.
If you are an Indonesian national, having a valid visa as well as a valid residential permit allowing you to live and work in India, you should be aware of Indian regulations regarding opening an Indian bank account. You should also know the Indian rules and regulations related to overseas foreign exchange remittance.
Compare products for sending money to Indonesia
You can use our handy table below to compare options for sending money to Indonesia.
Use the table headings to sort through products based on online fees, minimum transfer amounts and transfer speed. To read a review about a product, click “More”. To be taken to the product’s website, click “Go to Site”.
How do I compare transfer companies when transferring money to Indonesia?
When you begin your own investigation, look into this list of features:
- A competitive exchange rate. The rate at which the currency is exchanged will make a big difference in how much money actually arrives in Indonesia.
- Little to no fees. All services will charge some type of fee. Not only will you want to compare this, but you will have to check if it is a sliding fee based on how much is sent.
- Convenient pickup methods for your recipient. Depending on your situation, you may want to opt for a for a bank-to-bank transfer or alternate pickup methods.
- Short transfer times. This is especially important if you need to send money to cover the cost of an emergency.
- Flexible transfer amounts. Some services will have a minimum and a maximum amount per transaction. If you plan on making large money transfers to Indonesia, check to see what the cap is.
How do I send money to Indonesia from India?
You have a variety of choices when looking to send money from India to Indonesia, plus you have the option of a bank or wire transfer company. Here are some of the providers worth looking into:
- Bank-to-bank transfers. Some larger Indian banks will allow you to send money overseas. Check with the bank that you have opened your account in about the facilities they offer for sending money to Indonesia.
- Money transfer service company. Check with international money transfer companies regarding the facilities offered to individuals for remitting money from India to Indonesia. Some companies offering this service from India are UAEExchangeIndia, BuyForexOnline, ExTravelMoney, Thomas Cook India, BookMyForex, InstaReM and FxKart.
What if I need an emergency cash transfer to Indonesia?
If you are travelling in Indonesia and lose your wallet or it is stolen, the first thing you should do is alert the police and obtain a police report. To replace the cash that you lost, you can look into the following methods:
- Bank-to-bank transfer. You may be able to contact your Indian bank and ask for money to be transferred to an Indonesian bank. This option will most likely take a couple of days, and you will have to pay fees and lose some money because of the exchange rate.
- Travel insurance emergency assist. You should not travel to Indonesia without traveller’s insurance. This may provide you with immediate coverage for lost or stolen cash.
What documentation do I need for my money transfer?
You have the option of bank transfers and cash transfer services when sending money to Indonesia. If you are going to use a bank, make sure that your bank in Indonesia will accept the transfer from an Indian bank. If using a cash transfer service provider, you will need to know the following about your recipient:
- Your recipient’s full name. These companies are very cautious when handing over a cash transfer and will check that the name on the transfer is an exact match for the name on your recipient’s identification.
- Keep your tracking number. Your recipient will have to give the agent the tracking number for the transaction.
- Your recipient’s address and phone number. Make sure that you have the correct contact details for your recipient.
- Recipient bank account number. If you are wiring the money to a bank, you will need to have the account number and routing number.
Save the paperwork that you receive after initiating the transaction in case of any difficulties.
When making a big move to a new country, even if temporarily, you want to make sure that you have the means to maintain your life back in Indonesia. Consider your options carefully and make comparisons to ensure that you are getting the best value for your money.
More guides on Finder
How to buy cryptocurrency with your bank account
Want to buy cryptocurrency using your bank account but don’t know how? Find out everything you need to know in this comprehensive guide.
How to buy Bitcoin with cash: 3 different ways
There are three easy ways to turn hard cash into cryptocurrency. Compare your options and pick the one that works best for you.
Kraken cryptocurrency exchange review
Kraken is a reputable bitcoin and altcoin exchange that is designed with the advanced trader in mind.
Coinbase cryptocurrency exchange | April 2021 review
Check out our complete review of Coinbase to see if it’s safe, weigh up pros and cons, compare fees and learn what you can do on it beyond simply buying cryptocurrency.
Review: eToro cryptocurrency trading and CFDs
If you’re thinking of trading cryptocurrency and CFDs on eToro, make sure you check out our comprehensive eToro review first.
Review: Binance cryptocurrency exchange
Binance is the world’s biggest cryptocurrency exchange by volume. Here’s how to get started using it.
Common Bitcoin scams (and how to avoid them)
A comprehensive guide to what you need to know to detect and avoid some of the most common cryptocurrency scams.
How to buy Robinhood stock from India
Robinhood is expected to go public, here’s what you need to know if you’re looking to buy in from India.
Kotak 811 review
Enjoy convenient on-the-go banking with Kotak 811, a zero balance savings account with minimal fees.
How to sell XRP (XRP)
Your step-by-step guide on how to sell XRP (XRP) for both fiat currency and cryptocurrency, including detailed instructions for novice crypto traders.
Ask an Expert