Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Send money to China securely
Find convenient and fast ways to transfer money from India to your family back in China.
Expatriates from China who have chosen India as their new home often need a quick and secure way to send money to family members who live in China. This could be to help out in an emergency, to take care of monthly bills or for medical care of a close relative.
If you are a Chinese national, having a valid visa to work in India along with a valid residential permit to live in India, you need to be aware of Indian regulations governing the opening of a bank account in India. You also must know the relevant Indian regulations when it comes to remitting foreign exchange outside India.
Comparison of services that allow transfers to China
How do I compare companies when transferring money to China?
Be sure to have a close look at the following while doing your own research when you are comparing international money transfers from India to China:
- The exchange rate. This is important since it can cost you a lot of money in the long run. Some transfer services will offer a competitive exchange rate but offset this with high fees; others can offer less competitive rates but low fees. Be sure to factor this into your comparison.
- The amount of fees charged. You need to examine the fees closely to make sure that a good exchange rate is not being offset by high fees.
- Pickup options. This is important because you don’t want to put your recipient in a position where they have to travel far to get the money that you send.
- Turnaround time. While it may not be important for regular payments, having the option of an instant transaction during an emergency can be helpful.
- Transfer amounts. Many companies and banks have a cap on the amount of money sent per transaction. If your intent is to send large amounts of money, this will be a feature you will want to explore in depth. Also, many companies will have minimum transfer amounts.
What methods can I use to send money to China?
Both banks and money transfer service providers are available to send money to China from India. Banks will typically only allow bank-to-bank transfers, while overseas money transfer companies provide additional options. If you are in need of a place to start comparing the features of these institutions, these are some of the providers you could consider:
- Money transfer companies. A range of money transfer companies will allow you to send money to China. These companies can offer a range of extra services, such as regular transfers, forward contracts and market orders. Some providers in India who offer international money transfer services are FxKart, BuyForexOnline, InstaReM, UAEExchangeIndia, ExTravelMoney, Thomas Cook India and BookMyForex.
- Banks. Most larger Indian banks allow you to send money to China, but these transactions can be more expensive than sending money through a specialist money transfer company. Some banks have products dedicated to sending money overseas.
Emergency cash transfers in China
If you are visiting China and find yourself in need of money, there are a few options available that can help:
- Forex card. Banks such as HDFC and ICICI offer prepaid forex travel cards that can be loaded with multiple currencies. These can help you access cash fast if you lose your wallet or your money is stolen.
- Travel insurance. You should not travel outside of India without travel insurance. Under certain circumstances, they will replace your cash if you lose your purse or are robbed.
Documentation you’ll need to process your transfer
If you have decided that a bank or money transfer service is your best option for sending money from India to China, you will need to set up an account. If you are going to take advantage of a money transfer provider, make sure that you know the following information about your primary beneficiary:
- Your recipient’s name. When picking up cash, your recipient is going to need to show photo ID. The name on this ID must match the name on the transfer order exactly.
- Your recipient’s bank account information. If you are choosing to send the money to a bank account, make sure that you know the institution name, the bank account number and the bank routing number.
- Your recipient’s address. You may be asked to provide an address for the recipient.
- Your recipient’s contact details. In addition to the address, your money transfer service or bank might ask for the recipient’s phone number.
On a cash pickup transaction, you will be given paperwork that contains a personalised tracking number. You will need to pass this along to the beneficiary in order for them to receive the money.
Choosing the right overseas transfer company is a big decision considering the amount of money it could potentially cost you. Examine all of your options carefully before making this very important decision.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
INR to CNY Exchange Rate
Live exchange rates Indian rupee to Chinese Yuan Renminbi. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to CNY.
India Remittance Statistics
India receives nearly $70 billion worth in remittances. But where is all that money coming from? Finder digs into World Bank data to find out.
Investing in the era of COVID-19
Finder speaks with investment experts from around the world about what investing looks like in a post-COVID-19 world.
Finder’s Starbucks Index 2019
Ever wondered how much a tall Starbucks latte costs around the world? And what does that say about the value of currency? Finder’s Starbucks Index 2019 delves into the data to find out.
Remitly promo codes and discounts November 2020
Don’t pay too much for a money transfer. Check out the latest Remitly promo codes and discounts.
MoneyGram promo codes and discounts
Check out the latest MoneyGram discounts and offers to save on your next international money transfer.
TransferWise promo codes and discounts November 2020
Does Transferwise offer deals or discounts on money transfers?
InstaReM discount codes and exclusive coupons – November 2020
Find out how to get a discount on international money transfers using an InstaReM promo code.
Cryptocurrency exchange fees
Check out this comprehensive guide to the deposit, withdrawal and trading fees charged by crypto exchanges.
Compare bitcoin alternatives: 10 top competitors
If you’re looking for bitcoin alternatives, check out this beginner’s guide to 10 leading cryptocurrencies like bitcoin.
Ask an Expert