Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to increase your upload speed
Slow upload speed getting you down? Read our tips on how to improve your service.
Fast internet speeds are more important now than ever. With upload speeds usually lagging behind download speeds, uploading things can be a snail-paced nightmare.
In March 2020 India’s average fixed broadband speed decreased to 35.98 Mbps, from 39.65 Mbps in February. The country also saw a month-on-month decline in its average mobile data speed, which dropped by 1.68Mbps month-on-month.
However, there may be positive steps you can take to improve your connectivity – our guide outlines a few simple tips to increase your speed.
How to increase your upload speed
- Try using a wired connection. If you’re currently using a Wi-Fi connection, try switching to an ethernet cable, as wired connections have a faster upload speed.
- Clear your temporary files. Clearing your history, cache, and cookies can increase the overall speed of your computer, and this will increase your upload speed in turn.
- Remove other devices from your network. Having many devices connected to your internet at once can really slow down speeds, so try removing these. This can include wireless printers and mobile phones too.
- Remove malware. Malware is one of the things that can slow your computer’s speed down most, so you should make sure you don’t have any viruses. You can do this by downloading antivirus software and by making sure that it’s working properly.
- Change your DNS settings. Different domain name servers (DNS) have different speeds. You can change your DNS by finding the fastest ones and entering the code manually in your internet settings or by downloading tools to help get the fastest ones. Two reliable tools are Google DNS and OpenDNS, but there are also some professional level ones that you have to pay for.
- Update device drivers. If your device drivers are outdated it can really slow you down. You can update them by clicking ‘update device drivers’ in your network adapter’s options menu.
- Upload at off-peak times. This one isn’t particularly helpful if you need to upload quickly now, but off-peak times have much quicker speeds, and this is something to consider when choosing the time you upload something.
Change your broadband provider (or plan)
One of the most common reasons your upload speed could be slow may be based on your provider and package you have. Different providers perform better in certain areas of the country and it could be worth switching internet plans. If your internet provider can’t deliver on the speed they promised when you bought your plan due to technical limitations, it’s worth dropping them a line to see if you can drop to a lower and cheaper speed tier. Get in touch with your provider’s customer service team to discuss your options.
Frequently asked questions
What is considered a good upload speed?
Anything above 10 Mbps is definitely a good upload speed.
How have internet speeds changed in India in recent months?
According to internet speed test provider Ookla, the average fixed broadband speed in India has been declining since the start of the year – dropping from 41.48 Mbps in January 2020 to 35.98 Mbps in March 2020.
How can I check my internet speed?
It’s very simple to check your internet speed: visit our internet speed test page here.
More guides on Finder
Limeroad coupons and discounts January 2021 | Buy 1 get 1 FREE
See how much you could save on fabulous wardrobe wants today with one of our Limeroad coupon codes.
ICICI Direct review
Find out about the range of trading options available with ICICI Direct, and the pros and cons to consider.
What is DeFi? Beginner’s guide to decentralised finance
Confused about DeFi? Find out how it works in this easy-to-read guide.
Croma Discount Codes and Coupons January 2021 | Get 75% Off
See how much you could save on top tech trends today with one of our Croma coupon codes.
Front-loading washing machine buying guide
Read our guide to buying the perfect front-loading washing machine for your household.
Review: Crypto.com cryptocurrency app and exchange
Learn more about the Crypto.com platform in our complete review.
How to do technical analysis and read the cryptocurrency market
There’s much to gain and lose in the volatile cryptocurrency market. If you want to make the best decisions, then you need to understand how to do a technical analysis. This guide from finder will tell you everything you need to know.
French door fridge buying guide
Find out how to compare french door fridges and find the best fridge for your kitchen.
Soundbar buying guide: How to compare soundbars
What you need to know to buy the best soundbar to improve your home viewing experience.
Unlimited Internet plans
Stop getting charged for going over the limit – avoid getting your Internet speeds slowed down by comparing unlimited internet plans.
Ask an Expert