Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How and where to buy Populous
A beginner’s guide to Populous (PPT) and how to buy or sell PPT in India.
Populous is a peer-to-peer invoice finance platform built on blockchain technology. Its aim is to provide a more efficient and cost-effective way for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to access invoice financing.
Populous has three tokens. Pokens are the platform’s internal currency and are used to purchase invoices, while Populous Platform Tokens (PPT) were distributed during the Populous ICO and can also be used to invest in invoices through the platform. A third token (PXT) was announced in November 2017.
For more information on how to buy PPT and how the tokens work, keep reading.
Where to buy PPT
You can buy PPT on a variety of popular cryptocurrency exchanges, including:
A step-by-step guide to buying PPT
Want to buy PPT? Follow these simple steps:
Step 1. Create an account on a cryptocurrency exchange that allows you to trade PPT
PPT can be traded with bitcoin (BTC) or Ethereum (ETH). It’s free to sign up for a cryptocurrency trading account by providing your email address, creating a password and in some cases, supplying proof of ID. It’s also recommended that you set up two-factor authorisation to ensure a higher level of security.
Step 2. Deposit funds into your account
Many exchanges don’t allow you to directly deposit fiat currency, such as INR, and only facilitate trading between cryptocurrencies. With this in mind, you’ll need to own or buy BTC or ETH first.
The process for depositing funds varies between exchanges, so look for the link to fund your account or contact customer support for advice. For example, on Binance you can click on “Funds” and then “Deposit” from the top menu.
Step 3. Buying PPT
Now it’s time to trade BTC or ETH for PPT on the exchange. The steps you need to follow will differ slightly depending on the exchange you choose.
If you’re using Binance, for example, you’ll have to click on your desired trading pair (such as PPT/BTC) and enter the number of PPT you want to buy. Then you can select market or limit price and click “Buy PPT”.
How to sell PPT
If you want to offload PPT, the selling process is essentially the same as the buying process above; simply click on “Sell PPT” and follow the prompts. Remember also that cryptocurrency exchanges only offer a limited range of currency pairings, so you will usually have to exchange your PPT for another cryptocurrency (such as BTC or ETH) before you can then trade them for INR if you wish.
Populous compatible wallets
As PPT is an ERC20 token, you’ll need to store your PPT in an Ethereum-enabled wallet. Examples include:
How Populous works
London-based Populous held its ICO in July 2017 and raised over US$10 million. The company’s aim is to offer a peer-to-peer platform that connects invoice sellers and buyers, providing an efficient way for a greater range of businesses to solve cash flow shortages.
Managing cash flow is one of the biggest problems faced by small and medium businesses. One way to overcome this obstacle is with invoice financing, which allows a business to sell its outstanding invoices to a third party at a discount in order to free up some much-needed cash. The third party assumes ownership of the invoice and receives the funds when the client pays that invoice.
Populous is a trade and invoice finance platform built on the Ethereum blockchain. It hosts an invoice marketplace that connects invoice sellers with invoice buyers through auctions that use smart contracts.
If a business wants to sell an invoice on the platform, Populous implements the Altman Z-score formula on real-time eXtensible Business Reporting Language (XBRL) to evaluate invoices using its own credit rating system.
Once an invoice is approved, it is put up for auction. Buyers can offer competing bids and the seller chooses the best rate.
Populous tokens explained
There are three types of token associated with the Populous platform:
- Pokens. Pokens are the Populous platform’s internal currency and are pegged to the equivalent amount of fiat currency. For example, in the UK, 1 GBP Poken equals 1 GBP. Pokens are ERC20 tokens and can be used to buy invoices, and the Pokens themselves can be directly purchased with GBP, USD, EUR and Yen.
- PPT (Populous Platform Token). PPT were distributed in the ICO and are used to invest in invoices. When you want to buy an invoice through the Populous platform, your PPT are used as security for the investment and exchanged for Pokens. Once that invoice has been paid, you get Pokens in profit and your original amount of PPT returned to you.
- PXT Token. The airdrop of this new token was announced in November 2017. It will be used to purchase advanced features (such as credit reports) on the new Populous Data Platform.
What to consider before buying PPT
If you’re thinking of buying PPT, make sure you’re well aware of all the risks involved in trading cryptocurrency. Buying any form of cryptocurrency is a speculative move, and there are many complicated factors that can affect the future value of a coin.
Before buying PPT, consider the following factors:
- Supply. According to CoinMarketCap, the circulating supply of PPT at 19/01/2018 was 37,004,027. The total supply of tokens is 53,252,246 PPT.
- Use. PPT are required if you want to buy invoices through the Populous platform. The greater the popularity and uptake of the platform, the greater the demand for the tokens will be.
- Performance. You can examine the past performance of PPT to determine the potential for future growth, as well as the factors that have led to previous price rises or falls. Of course, it’s worth emphasising that past performance is not a reliable indicator of future performance.
- Commercial partnerships. Monitor financial news announcements for details of any commercial partnerships Populous has in the works. For example, in September 2017 it announced a partnership with rewards platform Luxure Global Citizen, a company that connects luxury brands with more than 750,000 customers around the world.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
How to buy Bitcoin ETFs from India
Bitcoin ETFs are coming to market. Here’s how you can invest in them.
How to buy Valkyrie Bitcoin Strategy ETF (BTFD) from India
The second Bitcoin future ETF is set to go live Oct. 22. Here’s how to invest if you’re in India.
How to buy VanEck Bitcoin Strategy ETF units from India
Steps to owning and managing VanEck Bitcoin Strategy ETF units.
How to invest in natural gas in India
Learn how to invest in natural gas, including its historical performance as an investment, risks and benefits. Find out all the need-to-knows with our extensive guide.
How to invest in coffee in India
This highly traded commodity can help diversify your portfolio. But consider unpredictable risks before investing in this daily bean.
How to invest in IPOs from India
Learn what an initial public offering (IPO) is, how an IPO works and the advantages and risks of IPOs.
What is options trading? A beginner’s guide for Indians
Read our beginner’s guide to trading options in India.
Investing in cocoa: A how-to guide for Indians
For those interested in investing in cocoa, here’s a guide to the different investment options at your disposal, the benefits of investing in cocoa and the possible risks.
OnlyFans IPO: How to buy OnlyFans shares from India
What you need to know about investing in OnlyFans from India
Review: ZebPay cryptocurrency exchange
Read the ZebPay review to find out how to use the app and what to watch out for.
Ask an Expert