Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to buy Nexus (NXS)
Your guide to buying, selling and trading the Nexus cryptocurrency (NXS) in India.
Nexus is a decentralised cryptocurrency project designed to provide fast and secure transactions. By developing its own three-dimensional blockchain that implements three consensus channels, Nexus aims to allow users to quickly and privately transfer value.
It’s an ambitious, long-term project that’s been in development since 2014, so read on for more information about how Nexus works and how you can buy NXS in India.
Where to buy, sell or trade NXS
You can buy NXS on several cryptocurrency exchanges, such as:
A step-by-step guide to buying NXS
If you want to buy NXS, here’s one example of how you can do it:
Step 1. Register for an account with an exchange
Register with an exchange that allows you to trade for NXS. You may not be able to trade Indian Rupees (INR) directly for NXS. You might have to trade a popular cryptocurrency like bitcoin (BTC) for NXS. Before you can buy, you’ll need to sign up for an account by entering your email address and creating a password. You’ll also likely be asked to verify your account by providing your full name, contact information and proof of ID before you can make a deposit.
We also recommend that you enable two-factor authentication to provide an extra level of security for your account.
Step 2. Deposit funds into your account
Many cryptocurrency exchanges don’t allow you to swap fiat currency, such as INR, for cryptocurrencies. This means that you’ll often need to acquire a cryptocurrency that’s available in a pairing with NXS, such as bitcoin (BTC), and then exchange it for NXS.
To deposit funds, login to your account and click on the “Deposit” link. Enter the amount you want to deposit and generate a wallet address to transfer your chosen crypto from another exchange or your own wallet into your account.
Step 3. Buy NXS
Click the “Buy/Sell” link on the account dashboard page and search for “NXS”. Click on “Buy NXS” and you’ll get an option of specifying the amount of NXS you want to buy.
You can then review the full details of the transaction, including the amount of NXS you’re buying and the total cost, before confirming the purchase.
How to sell NXS
If you want to sell NXS, you’ll essentially need to follow the same process as in Step 3 above, but with the obvious difference that you’re looking to sell instead of buy. It’s also important to remember that cryptocurrency exchanges don’t list every possible currency pairing, so you may not be able to trade your NXS for the currency you want in one transaction.
The official Nexus desktop wallet is available for download from the Nexus website. The wallet is available for the following operating systems:
How Nexus works
Founded in 2014 by Colin Cantrell, Nexus was built with the aim of becoming the world’s most secure digital currency. It’s designed to improve on the blockchain protocol by focusing on the following three core principles:
- Efficient and scalable code. Nexus created what it called the Lower Level Database. This is a specialised database that can organically scale to handle an increasing volume of transactions, improving speed and processing power.
- Enhanced security. Nexus uses a range of security features to protect against Quantum computer attacks, including one-time-use keys and 1024-bit hashes. Nexus nodes can also accumulate “Trust” keys, which further secure the network and entitle the nodes to a higher reward.
- Revolutionary hardware networks. Nexus is working with the aerospace industry, specifically a nanosatellite launch company known as Vector, on plans to launch low Earth orbit Cube satellites to create a truly decentralised network. These will work in tandem with a ground-based mesh network to enable global access to the Nexus blockchain.
The aim of all this is to “create the world’s first truly distributed system operating on distributed infrastructure”, making Nexus a decentralised currency that can be accessed virtually anywhere, anytime.
Key things to consider if you’re thinking about buying NXS
Cryptocurrencies are complex and speculative, and there are myriad risks you should consider before deciding whether to buy or hold any crypto. If you’re thinking of buying NXS, be sure to take the following factors into account:
- Supply. According to CoinMarketCap, at the time of writing the circulating supply of NXS was 55,310,122. Its market cap on the same date was US$311,800,302.
- Distribution period.There is an initial 10-year distribution period of NXS ending on September 23rd, 2024, at which time there will be a total of 78 million NXS. After this time, Nexus says the currency supply will inflate annually by a maximum of 3% via staking and by 1% via the prime and hashing channels. For more details of how this will work, check out this YouTube video of Nexus founder Colin Cantrell explaining NXS inflation.
- Availability. NXS is listed on a limited number of crypto exchanges. If a coin is available on a wide range of exchanges, this improved ease of access can potentially lead to increased demand, so keep an eye out for news of any other exchanges adding NXS currency pairings.
- Mining and minting. You can earn NXS from your computer, and Nexus currently offers three methods of validating blocks on the blockchain. There are two proof-of-work channels and one proof-of-stake channel. Minting on the proof-of-stake channel can be done by holding 1,000 NXS.
- Technology. Want to learn more about the technology behind Nexus and how the network will operate? Check out the company’s whitepaper.
- Partnerships. You should also consider a company’s commercial partnerships to get a better idea of its potential for growth and technological development in the future. For example, Nexus has partnered with nanosatellite launch company Vector to host the cryptocurrency on a satellite platform in space, while in January 2018 it partnered with SingularityNET to explore tech integrations.
By carefully considering the above and a range of other factors, you can form a clearer picture about whether you should buy NXS.
More guides on Finder
How to invest in IPOs from India
Learn what an initial public offering (IPO) is, how an IPO works and the advantages and risks of IPOs.
What is options trading? A beginner’s guide for Indians
Read our beginner’s guide to trading options in India.
IG review: Trade forex and CFDs with a global broker
IG forex trading offers tight spreads from 0.6 pips, fast order execution and access to more than 50 currency pairs.
Investing in cocoa: A how-to guide for Indians
For those interested in investing in cocoa, here’s a guide to the different investment options at your disposal, the benefits of investing in cocoa and the possible risks.
OnlyFans IPO: How to buy OnlyFans shares from India
What you need to know about investing in OnlyFans from India
Review: ZebPay cryptocurrency exchange
Read the ZebPay review to find out how to use the app and what to watch out for.
How to invest in sugar in India
Look into four ways to sweeten your portfolio with this commodity — including markets, risks and six factors that drive cost.
How to invest in cotton in India
Interested in investing in cotton? Here’s our guide to the investment options at your disposal, the benefits of investing in cotton, as well as the possible risks.
Dogecoin (DOGE) price prediction 2021
Where is the price of Dogecoin headed in 2018 and beyond, and what are the factors affecting the value of this iconic cryptocurrency?
Top sites to buy furniture online in India 2021
If you’re on the hunt for buying furniture, these online stores can help. Plus, see which retailers offer free delivery.
Ask an Expert