Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to buy Komodo and how it works
Your guide to buying and trading Komodo (KMD) in India
Komodo is an initial coin offering (ICO) platform designed to help developers launch transparent coin offerings. This decentralised platform allows each developer to set up an independent blockchain of their own, which they can then link to the Komodo ecosystem.
If a company wants to launch an ICO using Komodo’s infrastructure, it will need to pay a fee. This fee is payable in the Komodo ecosystem’s native token, the Komodo (KMD).
So, how does the platform work, what potential benefits does it offer and how can you buy KMD? Read on to find out.
Where can I buy Komodo?
You can buy KMD on a wide range of popular cryptocurrency exchanges, such as the following:
How to buy Komodo in India
To exchange fiat currency (in other words, INR) for KMD, you’ll need to register for an account with a local cryptocurrency exchange like Shapeshift.
NB: Most cryptocurrency exchanges do not allow you to exchange INR for KMD. On those exchanges, you’ll have to first purchase a major cryptocurrency such as Bitcoin (BTC) or Ethereum (ETH) before exchanging it for KMD.
Which wallets can hold KMD?
KMD can be stored in a range of wallets, including the following:
- Komodo CLI (Command Line Interface)
- Komodo paper wallet
- Ledger Nano S
Agama and Komodo CLI are desktop wallets, available to download for Windows and Mac OS. Agama is also available on Linux operating systems, while the Ledger Nano S is a hardware wallet.
How the Komodo platform works
You should never invest in any cryptocurrency without first understanding how it works. In order to understand Komodo tokens, you’ll first need to learn about the Komodo platform.
Komodo’s development history dates back to 2014, but it officially started in September 2016 when the genesis block was mined. This blockchain platform aims to offer entrepreneurs the tools they need to create a blockchain ecosystem.
The platform uses zero-knowledge proofs to provide private or transparent transactions (as required) and a delayed-proof-of-work (dPoW) protocol to ensure security via bitcoin’s blockchain. It offers the following products and services to new coin developers:
- BarterDEX. This is a decentralised exchange and cryptocurrency market.
- Jumblr. This is an open-source and decentralised cryptocurrency anonymiser.
- Decentralised fiat currencies. These are cryptocurrencies that are pegged to a local, fiat currency.
- Decentralised ICOs. These allow developers to use the Komodo platform to launch their own blockchain and crowdfund their ICO.
KMD is a private cryptocurrency used within the Komodo ecosystem. This infrastructure coin is required to use many of the features on the platform and can be used for private digital payments. For example, KMD is the base currency of the BarterDEX exchange, allowing it to be used as a gateway to other cryptocurrencies.
What to consider before buying KMD
If you’re considering buying KMD, you’ll need to take in a wide range of factors into account to decide whether it represents a sound investment including the following issues:
- Coin availability. KMD has a total fixed supply of 200 million coins. In the Komodo ICO in 2016, 90 million of those coins were distributed to investors, with 10 million kept aside for future development and marketing.
- Demand for KMD. The larger the user base of the Komodo ecosystem, the greater the demand for KMD. Increased demand obviously means increased value, so consider the real-world applications for Komodo to get an idea of how the level of demand could change in the future.
- Competition. Make sure you’re aware of Komodo’s competitors and the threats they may pose to the value of KMD. For example, Ethereum is its biggest competitor in the ICO space, while Monero, Dash and Zcash are all noted competitors in the privacy coin sphere.
- KMD rewards. Komodo has a built-in system that automatically rewards users for holding KMD. The annual reward rate is 5% annual percentage rate (APR) revenue.
- Future developments. Komodo is part of the SuperNET project, a collaborative community of cryptocurrency developers that is working on several projects based on the Komodo platform. Stay abreast of future projects and developments to learn more about the potential real-world applications of KMD.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
How to buy Bitcoin ETFs from India
Bitcoin ETFs are coming to market. Here’s how you can invest in them.
How to invest in natural gas in India
Learn how to invest in natural gas, including its historical performance as an investment, risks and benefits. Find out all the need-to-knows with our extensive guide.
Review: ZebPay cryptocurrency exchange
Read the ZebPay review to find out how to use the app and what to watch out for.
How to invest in cotton in India
Interested in investing in cotton? Here’s our guide to the investment options at your disposal, the benefits of investing in cotton, as well as the possible risks.
Review: Celsius Network cryptocurrency lending and borrowing platform
An in-depth review of one of the most popular lending and interest earning platforms in cryptocurrency.
Nexo review: Is it safe for high interest returns?
Nexo is a cryptocurrency lending and borrowing platform that offers high interest rates on cryptocurrencies, stablecoins and fiat. We review the features available and look at how safe your funds would be on the platform.
Ethereum (ETH) price prediction 2021
What affects the value of Ethereum (ETH) and how might the price of ETH fluctuate in the year ahead? Find out in this comprehensive guide.
AscendEX (BitMax) Cryptocurrency Exchange Review
A complete review of the AscendEX exchange, covering trading and DeFi features, associated fees, regulation and security. Is AscendEX right for you?
Axie Infinity guide: How to play and earn
Axie Infinity is an RPG game that is currently dominating the NFT sector. Discover what Axies are, what makes them unique and how you can earn money simply by playing.
What is Uniswap?
Learn more about the UNI cryptocurrency in this beginner’s and buyer’s guide.
Ask an Expert