Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to buy AdEx
Your guide to AdEx and how you can buy and sell the ADX cryptocurrency
AdEx is a decentralised ad exchange built on the Ethereum network. Built with the aim of disrupting the existing online advertising landscape and overcoming problems such as fraud and privacy concerns, AdEx is designed to provide advertisers, publishers and consumers with a secure and transparent platform.
The AdEx token (ADX) is used on the platform to buy or sell advertising time. Read on to find out exactly how the exchange and the token work, and how you can buy ADX.
Where to buy, sell or trade ADX in India
You can buy ADX on a wide range of cryptocurrency exchanges, including the following:
A step-by-step guide to buying ADX
If you want to buy ADX, here’s an example of how to do it:
Step 1. Register for an account with an exchange
Register with an exchange that allows you to trade for ADX. You may not be able to trade Indian Rupees (INR) directly for ADX. You might have to trade a popular cryptocurrency like bitcoin (BTC) or Ethereum (ETH) for ADX. Before you can buy, you’ll need to sign up for an account by entering your email address and creating a password. You’ll also likely be asked to verify your account by providing your full name, contact information and proof of ID before you can make a deposit.
We also recommend that you enable two-factor authentication to provide an extra level of security for your account.
Step 2. Deposit funds into your account
Many cryptocurrency exchanges don’t allow you to swap fiat currency, such as INR, for cryptocurrencies. This means that you’ll often need to acquire a cryptocurrency that’s available in a pairing with ADX, such as Ethereum (ETH) or bitcoin (BTC), and then exchange it for ADX.
To deposit funds, login to your account and click on the “Deposit” link. Enter the amount you want to deposit and generate a wallet address to transfer your chosen crypto from another exchange or your own wallet into your account.
Step 3. Buy ADX
Click the “Buy/Sell” link on the account dashboard page and search for “ADX”. Click on “Buy ADX” and you’ll get an option of specifying the amount of ADX you want to buy.
You can then review the full details of the transaction, including the amount of ADX you’re buying and the total cost, before confirming the purchase.
How to sell ADX
If you want to sell your ADX tokens, search for “ADX” from the “Buy/Sell” menu and click on “Sell ADX”. The process you’ll need to follow after that is essentially the same as the buying process outlined in step 3 above. However, you may not be able to immediately exchange ADX for the currency you want.
Which wallets can I use to hold ADX?
Rather than storing your crypto holdings on an exchange, the most secure way to hold your ADX is in a secure wallet. ADX is an ERC20 token on the Ethereum blockchain, so you’ll need to use a wallet that’s compatible with these types of tokens, such as the following:
How AdEx works
First announced in 2016 and based in Bulgaria, the AdEx network features several layers to provide a secure, decentralised ad exchange. The first layer is the ad exchange itself, which is built on Ethereum smart contracts.
On top of the exchange, the company is building dapps for the publisher portal, the advertiser portal and the AdEx profile for end users. All of those dapps will be browser-based and accessible online, but hosted by AdEx. The end-user profile will give people the opportunity to understand and control the ads delivered to them.
According to the team behind AdEx, the network is designed to solve a range of problems with online advertising, including the following:
- A lack of consumer consent and control over the ads they are shown
- Online privacy concerns and the misuse of personal data
- A lack of bidding transparency for advertisers
- Unclear and misleading reporting of online ad campaigns
- Advertising fraud
The AdEx beta is scheduled for release in February 2018. The AdEx token (ADX) will be used internally to buy or sell advertising space and time within the AdEx ecosystem. A token sale was held in June and July 2017 and raised 40,000 ETH.
Key things to consider if you’re thinking about buying ADX
Cryptocurrencies are complex, speculative and risky, so it’s essential to understand exactly how they work and all the risks involved before you buy. If you’re thinking of purchasing ADX, make sure you take the following factors into account:
- Supply. According to CoinMarketCap, at the time of writing (1 February 2018), the circulating supply of ADX was 60,248,315 out of a total supply of 100,000,000 ADX.
- White paper. For more details about the technology behind AdEx, how the platform works and the function of the ADX token, check out the company’s detailed white paper.
- Token use. The white paper explains that advertisers will be able to create ads, and then place bids for them in the AdEx ecosystem, setting the bid in ADX tokens. The advertisers may bid for a specific number of impressions, clicks or conversions. Once a publisher accepts a bid, the tokens will be frozen until the publisher proves that they have completed the goal, at which time the tokens will be transferred to the publisher’s balance.
- Possible new token. The white paper mentions the possible addition of a second token, the ADXToken2 (ADXT). This upgradable ERC20 token would feature an inflation model designed to improve the token’s scalability and avoid too much scarcity.
- Still in development. Like many other cryptocurrencies, ADX will be used on a platform that is still in development. This means there are several unknowns about the user-friendliness and robustness of the platform that can only be answered once it has been fully released.
- Partnerships. It’s also a good idea to stay up to date with news of any partnerships and commercial arrangements a crypto has lined up. For example, AdEx has partnered with NEO and video entertainment platform Stremio.
- Team. AdEx co-founders Ivo Georgiev and Dimo Stoyanov founded Stremio, and the video entertainment hub has almost 5 million active users.
- Potential market. Digital advertising spend exceeded TV ad revenue for the first time ever in 2016, attracting revenue of US$72.5 billion.
- Competition. AdEx isn’t the only blockchain-based tech company that aims to disrupt the online advertising industry. Basic Attention Token (BAT), Qchain and adChain are just some potential competitors you’ll need to be aware of.
You’ll need to consider these and many other factors to determine whether you should buy ADX.
More guides on Finder
How to invest in IPOs from India
Learn what an initial public offering (IPO) is, how an IPO works and the advantages and risks of IPOs.
Investing in cocoa: A how-to guide for Indians
For those interested in investing in cocoa, here’s a guide to the different investment options at your disposal, the benefits of investing in cocoa and the possible risks.
Review: ZebPay cryptocurrency exchange
Read the ZebPay review to find out how to use the app and what to watch out for.
How to invest in cotton in India
Interested in investing in cotton? Here’s our guide to the investment options at your disposal, the benefits of investing in cotton, as well as the possible risks.
Nexo review: Is it safe for high interest returns?
Nexo is a cryptocurrency lending and borrowing platform that offers high interest rates on cryptocurrencies, stablecoins and fiat. We review the features available and look at how safe your funds would be on the platform.
Ethereum (ETH) price prediction 2021
What affects the value of Ethereum (ETH) and how might the price of ETH fluctuate in the year ahead? Find out in this comprehensive guide.
AscendEX (BitMax) Cryptocurrency Exchange Review
A complete review of the AscendEX exchange, covering trading and DeFi features, associated fees, regulation and security. Is AscendEX right for you?
Axie Infinity guide: How to play and earn
Axie Infinity is an RPG game that is currently dominating the NFT sector. Discover what Axies are, what makes them unique and how you can earn money simply by playing.
What is Compound Finance?
We explore how to use Compound Finance for lending and borrowing.
How to buy the Cosmos blockchain (ATOM) cryptocurrency
Learn where to buy ATOM, the Cosmos blockchain’s native token.
Ask an Expert