Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
HDFC Bank RemitNow international money transfers
Make international money transfers from India using HDFC Bank RemitNow.
HDFC Bank Limited, part of the HDFC Bank Group, is an Indian bank and financial services organisation that has its headquarters in Mumbai, India. It offers various foreign exchange services to its Indian customers. It’s account holders can remit make international money transfers from India using HDFC Bank’s RemitNow facility.
HDFC Bank RemitNow foreign exchange rates
HDFC Bank RemitNow supports international money transfers in 19 currencies. There is a section on its website which displays the foreign exchange rates it offers. These rates are updated every working day (Monday to Friday excluding bank holidays). For indicative purposes, we have listed below the currencies HDFC Bank RemitNow supports along with their exchange rates as on 14 May 2018.
Telegraphic transfer (TT) selling
|GBP||Great Britain pound||93.27|
|HKD||Hong Kong dollar||8.85|
|NZD||New Zealand dollar||48.52|
|USD||United States dollar||68.58|
|ZAR||South African rand||5.74|
For any actual remittances, the applicable exchange rate will be the rate displayed on HDFC Bank’s website at 10am on the day the debit (to fund the remittance amount) from the customer’s account takes place. The rates displayed also do not include the money transfer charges or applicable taxes that you’ll incur for the remittance.Back to top
How much does it cost to transfer money with HDFC Bank RemitNow?
HDFC Bank charges a flat transfer fee of INR500 per transaction if the amount remitted is up to US$500 or equivalent. If the amount is greater than US$500 or equivalent, HDFC Bank charges a flat transfer fee of INR1,000 per transaction. These transfer fees do not include any charges by the beneficiary bank. You’ll also be liable to pay Goods and Services Tax (GST) as per Indian tax laws.
How does HDFC compare to other money transfer services?
Transfer limits and available countries
The HDFC Bank website does not provide information regarding the minimum transfer amount you can remit using HDFC Bank RemitNow. Contact your HDFC Bank relationship manager for more information. However, the maximum transfer amount you can remit is US$5,000 or equivalent in a single transaction. If you’d like to transfer an amount greater than US$5,000 or equivalent, you will have to visit your HDFC Bank branch to carry out the remittance. Please note that international money transfers from India need to meet Reserve Bank of India (RBI) rules. Any Indian resident is permitted to make total overseas remittances of up to US$250,000 in an Indian financial year (April to March).
You can transfer money to anywhere around the world, apart from countries that are on the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) sanctioned countries list, which is updated periodically. Currently, some of the countries you cannot transfer money to are:
- The Balkans
- Democratic Republic of Congo
- Ivory Coast
- North Korea
What types of transfers can you carry out with HDFC Bank RemitNow?
- Wire transfers.
Resident Indians can make a wire transfer (TT/Swift Transfer) to bank accounts in most countries across the world using HDFC Bank RemitNow.
The registration and transfer process
You need to use HDFC Bank Netbanking to make a wire transfer using HDFC RemitNow. The steps are pretty simple.
- Step 1. Log in to HDFC NetBanking and go to the “Funds Transfer” tab.
- Step 2. Register for third-party payment by selecting the “Transfer within the Bank” option, filling in the necessary details and clicking on “Confirm”.
- Step 3. Add your beneficiary by going to the “Funds Transfer” tab, clicking on the “Request” tab and selecting “Add a beneficiary”. Fill in the details and click “Confirm”. Adding a beneficiary takes around 30 minutes after you submit the request.
- Step 4. After the beneficiary has been added, log in to NetBanking and click on the “Funds Transfer” tab. Click on “Foreign Outward Remittance”. Fill in the details and click on “Confirm”.
- Step 5. The wire transfer will be processed.
The wire transfer usually reaches the beneficiary bank account within three working days.Back to top
Speak to a customer service representative through HDFC Bank phone banking. Alternately, go to an HDFC Bank branch in person and speak to a bank representative.
Pros and cons of using HDFC Bank RemitNow
- You can transfer money from India to most countries around the world.
- As long as the transaction amount is US$5,000 or less, you can carry out the wire transfer online from the comfort of your home.
- Most major currencies are supported.
- You need to be an HDFC Bank account holder to use this facility.
- Exchange rates are updated on the HDFC Bank website once every bank working day.
- The maximum amount you can transfer in a single transaction is US$5,000.
What other products and services does HDFC Bank offer?
- Banking services. HDFC Bank is one of India’s largest private sector banks. It offers various financial products and services, such as different types of bank accounts, loans, insurance and credit cards to name just a few.
- Forex travel card. HDFC Bank can issue prepaid forex multi-currency travel cards in 21 major currencies.
- Foreign currency demand drafts. HDFC Bank can issue foreign currency demand drafts in 10 currencies.
- Buying and selling foreign exchange. HDFC Bank buys and sells cash in 20 major currencies.
Frequently asked questions about HDFC Bank RemitNow
A final word
HDFC Bank RemitNow is a facility for Indian HDFC Bank account holders to make overseas remittances conveniently from the comfort of their home. If you are looking to send a sum of up to US$5,000 overseas, you can consider HDFC Bank RemitNow as an option. However, do compare exchange rates and transfer fees that competitors offer before you make any remittances.
More guides on Finder
India Remittance Statistics
India receives nearly $70 billion worth in remittances. But where is all that money coming from? Finder digs into World Bank data to find out.
Remitly promo codes and discounts November 2020
Don’t pay too much for a money transfer. Check out the latest Remitly promo codes and discounts.
MoneyGram promo codes and discounts
Check out the latest MoneyGram discounts and offers to save on your next international money transfer.
TransferWise promo codes and discounts November 2020
Does Transferwise offer deals or discounts on money transfers?
InstaReM discount codes and exclusive coupons – November 2020
Find out how to get a discount on international money transfers using an InstaReM promo code.
Axis Forex Online international money transfers
Make online international money transfers in 100+ currencies from India using Axis Forex Online.
UAE Exchange India international money transfers
Do you want to send money overseas from India to your friends or family? Check out UAE Exchange India as an alternative to banks.
onlineSBI international money transfers
Send money overseas from India to 11 countries using onlineSBI international money transfers.
Essel Forex international money transfers
Essel Forex international money transfers review: Send money overseas from India at low rates in 15 currencies.
IndusForex international money transfers
Send money overseas in 15 currencies from India using IndusForex.
Ask an Expert