Invest in equities, mutual funds, options, and more with Groww.
Groww is an online discount brokerage that allows users in India to invest in stocks at a low cost. Through easy-to-use trading platforms, Groww aims to democratise investing for everyday Indians.
This review will examine Groww’s features, advantages and drawbacks, as well as any other details worth considering when choosing between Groww and other brokers in India.
What markets can I trade with Groww?
Unlike most discount brokers in India, Groww allows users to access both Indian exchanges and major exchanges in the US. As a result, Groww is a great option for traders seeking investment opportunities in both domestic and international companies.
In accordance with SEBI regulations, most Indian brokerages offer a Trading and Demat account separately.
The Groww Trading account allows you to buy and sell different financial securities like stocks, options and mutual funds. If you wish to hold these securities overnight, you will also need to sign up for the Groww Demat account.
Groww Trading Account features
Here are some of the features you can access through the Groww Trading Account.
- A wide variety of financial instruments.
- Equities. Buy stocks on both the National Stock Exchange and Bombay Stock Exchange — either through Equity Delivery where you can buy and hold the stock for as long as you need or through Equity Intraday where the stock is sold before the end of the trading day. You can also buy stocks on the NYSE and NASDAQ.
- Futures & Options. Use leveraged derivatives to make outsised bets on select American or Indian corporations.
- Gold. Gain exposure to digital gold and add an additional layer of diversification to your portfolio.
- Mutual Funds. With Groww, you can invest in mutual funds from all over India.
- Multiple trading platforms to choose from.
- Groww Mobile. With the Groww mobile trading platform, you can make trades on-the-go, whenever and wherever you want. The application offers charting, notifications for price movements and one-click order placement — all from a user-friendly interface.
- Groww Website. Groww’s browser-based platform offers all the features of the Groww app, and more. From customisable widgets and order-tracking to reports and blogs for learning about equity markets, Groww’s website offers a suite of features for the average investor.
- Tools & Research. You can access additional services such as mutual fund screeners, margin calculators and option strategy builders.
- Alerts. Set alerts to be notified of stock movements, news, company announcements and board meetings. You can also set notifications for specific trading activity and order confirmations.
What are Groww’s fees?
Trading and transaction fees
Here is a short summary of some important fees you should take note of.
- Brokerage Fees. Unlike investment platforms that levy variable fees based on the asset you are trading, Groww charges a flat ₹20 or 0.05% of the order, whichever is lower.
- STT Charges. These additional transaction taxes range from 0.01% to 0.1% of your order amount, depending on exactly what you are buying and selling.
- Transaction Charges. From clearing fees to exchange turnover costs, these charges could amount to 0.05%.
- GST Charges. An 18% tax will be levied on your total charges
- SEBI Charges. An additional fee of 0.00005% will be charged on the total amount traded.
Groww pledges to charge no account-related fees. As a result, monthly maintenance fees are ₹0 and the account opening fee is ₹0 as well.
Do note that the fees above are not exhaustive, and will differ depending on how you use your broker account. You can refer to Groww’s website for a detailed list of fees and use their brokerage calculator to estimate exactly how much you might end up paying.
Pros and cons
- Offers a mobile trading app with features comparable to that of a desktop trading platform
- Access to both domestic and foreign equities
- Incompatible with 3rd party trading software
- No access to cryptocurrency or IPOs
Is Groww safe?
Groww is registered with SEBI and AMFI, the top regulatory watchdogs for security trading and mutual funds in India. Groww is also backed by the Continuity Fund, an extension of the famed Silicon Valley-based startup accelerator Y Combinator, as well as Tiger Global, one of the world’s largest venture capital funds. As these are reputable businesses that have evaluated the legitimacy of Groww, Groww can generally be considered safe.
Note: Investing and trading itself always carries risks, so read up before you start investing. Do your research and compare brokers in India before signing up with any trading platform.
How do I sign up for an account?
To sign up for a Groww account, visit their website and follow the steps below.
- Navigate to the “Login/Register” button and fill up the application form. You will need to provide your email address, name and mobile number.
- You might also be prompted to submit supporting documents, which could include your Aadhaar card number, proof of income, photograph and PAN number.
If your account has been approved, you will be able to transfer funds to it and begin buying securities.
Groww offers a simple user interface, convenient mobile and web trading platforms, and access to an unparalleled variety of financial products — including both domestic and US equities. As a result, Groww is suitable for most investors in India looking for a low-cost trading platform. However, if you wish to invest in cryptocurrencies, IPOs or complex derivatives, another investment brokerage could either be a good complement or a better alternative.
Compare share trading platforms in India
Not what you’re looking for? Sign up today with one of the following brokers in our comparison table below.
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.