ICICI Direct app is offered by one of the largest banks in India and can be used for online trading, viewing live stock charts and even investing in IPO shares. Their research-backed products and recommendations enable you to make an informed investment decision.The ICICI Direct mobile trading app is available to iOS, Android and Windows phone system users.
Ever since stock trading through mobile apps has gone mainstream in India, you are not obliged to buy or sell stocks only from your desktop or laptop. These mobile apps offer market access and trading facilities on smartphones so you can make trades anywhere where there’s an internet connection even while on the move.
Share trading apps allow you to maintain all your investments’ information at one place and provide you with advanced tools to make better investment decisions. Nevertheless it’s worth noting that not all online brokers have a mobile version of their platform and some mobile trading apps don’t offer desktop access. So to make it easier for you, we’ve rounded up a list of best app for stock market available in India in 2023.
Best trading apps in India for 2023
- ICICI Direct – Best for seasoned traders
- Zerodha Kite App – Best for overall trading experience
- 5paisa – Best for retail trading
- Angel Broking – Best for heavy traders
- Groww App – Best for tradable options
- Upstox Pro – Best for Intraday and F&O traders
- Sharekhan – Best for experienced traders
- HDFC Securities – Best for investing in equity and derivatives
- Axis Direct – Best full service broker
- Bajaj Financial Securities – Best for futures and option trading
How we chose the best share market application in India
The list of apps featured below shows some of the most popular trading apps in terms of daily downloads by Indian iPhone users as of Dec 10, 2022. The list itself was sourced by SensorTower and on the basis of user experience and is not in any particular order.
Best trading app in India 2023
1. ICICI Direct – Best for seasoned traders
2. Zerodha Kite App – Best for overall trading experience
Zerodha’s Kite trading app is a lite trading platform that you can use to invest on the go. The app comes with a range of tradable securities, hundreds of chart indicators and even advanced trading options. For the first time investors this app plays a significant role as it gives you access to features like wishlist, order window, multi exits on positions, customizable Multi-MarketWatch views, filter and search options on MarketWatch, holdings, and more. The app also offers a feature called ‘Kite Connect’, which enables the users to build their own custom trading and investment strategies.
3. 5paisa – Best for retail trading
5paisa is a fast-growing stock trading app in India that offers a free Demat account. This app offers live updates from NSE, BSE, MCX markets easily along with features like charts and analytical tools, learning videos, watchlist, notifications and more. 5Paisa is known for its low brokerage charges, making it an ideal app for investors who are looking to invest in the stock market on a budget.
4. Angel Broking – Best for heavy traders
Angel Broking’s mobile app is one the most trusted apps available in the Indian market. It offers multi-asset trading, allowing you to trade equities, derivatives, IPOs, mutual funds and more. Available to both iOS and Android users, the app also has useful real-time features like market updates and multiple watchlist options. Angel Broking app also offers a feature called ‘Smartwatch’, which enables the users to track the market and their portfolio from their smartwatch. Additionally, the app also offers ‘Angel Eye’, a feature that enables the users to analyze the market trends and make informed decisions.
5. Groww App – Best for tradable options
Groww App is one of the quickest-growing trading platforms in India that lets you open your trading account for free. This trading app comes with a clean interface and allows users to invest in financial instruments like gold, fixed deposits, SIP and mutual funds. One of the key features of the Groww app is its real-time market data and alerts. Users can track their investments and stay updated on market trends and movements. In addition to its investment capabilities, the Groww app also offers a range of educational resources and tools for users to learn about the stock market and investing. The app, which is available to iOS and Android users, is known to be highly secure.
6. Upstox Pro – Best for Intraday and F&O traders
Upstox Pro is a discount broker in India that offers stock, derivative, currency and commodity trading. Its mobile app is free for Upstox Pro customers and is available to both iOS and Android users. Besides offering standard buy and sell features, the app also offers multiple charting tools and detailed screeners. For first time investors, this application also provides expert advice and tips, along with a deep analysis of the market. The app also offers a feature called ‘Upstox Pro Web’, which enables the users to access the stock market from their web browser.
7. Sharekhan – Best for experienced traders
Sharekhan is one of the leading broking houses in India. Sharekhan mobile app provides all leading trading features such as advanced charts, measurement tools, watchlists, etc. It offers a variety of brokerage services like intraday equity trading and currency futures through its numerous platforms, including the mobile apps, Sharekhan Standard and Sharekhan Mini. In addition to its investment capabilities, the Sharekhan app also offers a range of educational resources and tools for users to learn about the stock market and investing. This includes webinars, articles, and videos on various investment-related topics.
8. HDFC Securities – Best for investing in equity and derivatives
This trading app offers all the functionality of the HDFC full website on your mobile device. Available to both iOS and Android users, the app allows you to buy and sell shares from the comfort of your mobile. The app also lets you view your current demat account balance, receive up-to-date market updates, and contact customer service for support. The app also offers multiple trading platforms like the HDFC Securities Trade Racer and HDFC Securities Mobile Trader which cater to different types of traders and their needs. It also offers 3-in-1 account which allows the user to link their savings account, trading account and demat account for seamless transactions.
9. Axis Direct – Best full service broker
Axis’s mobile app is popular amongst the beginners and professionals both in India, thanks to its user-friendly interface.
The platform lets you create multiple market watchlists, check on your demat account and trade equities as well as mutual funds. It has NSE, BSE, MSEI, and MCX-SX subscriptions and enables you to trade over other financial segments, currency trading, IPO, etc. The app is free for Axis Bank users and is available on iOS and Android devices. Overall, the Axis Direct app is a convenient and user-friendly platform for investors to manage their stock market investments on the go.
10. Bajaj Financial Securities – Best for futures and option trading
Bajaj Financial Securities is the trading app offered by Bajaj Finserv, a boutique brokerage in India that offers investment services for high net-worth individuals, families and firms. As a user, you can access instruments listed on Indian exchanges — from bonds and derivatives to intraday equity trading. The app offers features such as live stock market updates, real-time portfolio tracking, and the ability to place buy and sell orders. Additionally, users can view research and analysis, and access financial news and market insights to make informed investment decisions. The app is available for both Android and iOS devices and can be downloaded from the respective app stores.
Compare stock brokers in India
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
How to choose the best stock market app in India?
If you want to get more out of your online trading, try to keep the following tips in mind:
- Reliability and security – Look for an app that is regularly updated and has a good track record of uptime. It is important to check if the app uses strong security protocol and user authentication to keep all transaction details safe and secure.
- Speed – Fast and profitable trading demands speedy trading applications.
- Customer support – Look for an app with a good reputation for customer service, as this will ensure that you have the support you need when you need it.
- User experience review – In a nutshell customer review is an in-depth analysis of the application on the basis of users experience and hence plays a major role in making a choice.
- Availability of advanced features and customization – For better user experience, advance features and customization is a must.
- Alerts and notifications – Push notifications and alerts is the best way to notify user directly about any important update.
- Payment Methods – Another vital thing is to check what mode of payments are available to buy and sell stocks.
- Live market updates and portfolio review – It is essential to review your investments from time to time and rebalance the portfolio as required.
- Charts – Charts provide visual representation and allow you to easily identify price patterns and trends.
- Price charged by that app – While many apps are free, others may require a subscription or a one-time purchase. Consider how much you are willing to spend and how much value you will get from the app before making a decision.
Pros and cons of using trading app in India:
- Easy and quick order placement from anywhere anytime.
- Paperless account opening process
- LIVE stock market updates
- Low charges
- Receive timely alerts and notifications
- Diverse mutual fund (MFs) options and quick IPO application process
- Easy to understand
- Seamless access to market days at fingertips
- Historical charts and research reports
- Brokerage fee is low but the charges for other facilities are more
- One needs to have a solid technical knowledge to avoid spending a lot of time learning it.
- Sometimes the application may run slow due to the hindered speed of the internet.
- Unexpected problems like natural disaster, change in government policies, terrorist attacks can take place and adversely effect the share prices.
- Investing in share market is not as easy as it sounds in the theory, lack of expertise can get you into trouble
Is online trading safe? What are the risks?
As with any type of investment, there are risks to trading shares online. Some of the risks remain whether you trade online or not, for example, you can lose some or all of your investment. Other risks are with the online platform you choose to use.
Before you start using a trading app, check whether the online broker has a good reputation and is a trusted provider in the community. There are several key details to look out for:
- Reviews. You can read the customer reviews to find out the user experience with the app which will further help you making informed trading decision.
- Experience. Check the online broker’s background and find out how long it has been offering online share trading services in India. You can further investigate whether it is associated with a large bank or financial institution.
- Encryption. Reputable online trading platforms rely on encryption technology for safety purposes.
- Login information. Many apps will only ask for a username and password, but others may ask you to enter an additional security code.
- Online checks. Lot’s of them offer online checks and restrictions to reduce the risk of fraud.
- Previewing trades. Nowadays apps show you a preview screen outlining the full details of a transaction, such as the total cost and the total shares purchased before placing a trade.
- Processes for dealing with fraud. It’s best to check out the reimbursement processes for any losses you suffer through in case you are the victim of fraud. Also check the timeline as to when this cover applies.
- Customer support. Try to find out when and how you can get in touch with the customer support team.
How to protect yourself when you trade online?
- Use a reputable online trading platform – Look for platforms that are regulated by a reputable financial authority, such as the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) or the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). These platforms are subject to strict regulations and oversight, which helps to ensure that your personal and financial information is protected and that the platform operates in a fair and transparent manner.
- Watch out for scams – In this new age of internet it is easy for the scammers to trick people into sharing their account details. These scams involve sending emails or text messages that appear to be from a reputable company, but are actually designed to trick you into providing personal or financial information. Hence it is important to stay alert and know who you are dealing with.
- Use a virtual private network (VPN) – A virtual private network (VPN) encrypts your internet connection, making it more difficult for scammers to steal your personal and financial information.
- Keep your login details safe – One should create strong passwords and never share your login details with the third-party.
- Keep a copy of your records – It is highly recommended to keep a record copy of your online share trading account and transactions. This can be helpful in following up if something goes wrong with your account.
- Look after your computer and mobile device – Make sure to use antivirus on your computer and try logging in via secure connection. Use a strong password to protect your device, keeping your operating system and security software up to date, and being careful about the websites you visit and the links you click on.
What is demat account?
Demat account, also known as Dematerialised account is used to hold shares and securities in electronic format. The Demat account reduced the risks of storing, theft, damage, and malpractices by storing securities in electronic format. During online trading, shares are bought and held in a Demat Account, thus, facilitating password protected and easy trade for the users.
In India, NSDL and CDSL provide free demat account services whereas the intermediaries may have demat account charges that can vary as per terms and conditions or type of subscription between the depository and stockbroker.
Types of demat account
Esssentially there are 3 types of Demat accounts available for traders, as follows:
- Regular Demat account: This is the most common Demat account and is recommended to any traders or investors residing in India. This account is ideal for equity shares alone and not for futures and options trading. For futures and options trading there is no need to hold a regular Demat account as it comes with expiry date and need not be stored in one’s Demat account for the long term.
- Repatriable Demat account: Repatriable account is best suited for the non-resident Indians who is seeking to trade or invest in Indian securities. It allows traders to transfer funds abroad and requires an associated NRE bank account.
- Non-Repatriable Demat account: This type of Demat account is recommended for the non-resident Indians and requires that one’s funds be associated with a non-resident ordinary bank account. However with this type of Demat account, one’s securities cannot be transferred across nationalities.
Demat vs trading account
- Demat account – It acts as a repository or storage space where the shares can be stored and transferred in digital mode.
- Trading account – It helps you buy and sell shares in stock market without being physically available on the trading floor.
Despite the different roles, demat and trading account work together to make online trading possible.
Documents required for opening a demat and trading account
- Identity proof: PAN card / Aadhaar card / Voter’s ID / Passport / Driving license
- Address proof: Phone bill / Electricity bill / Bank statement / Ration card/ Passport / Voter’s ID
- Income Proof : last 6 months bank statement/ 3 months salary slips/ Net-worth certificate / Income tax return (ITR) statement
- Bank Proof: Canceled cheque/ bank passbook /account statement.
- Registered lease or sale agreement / Driving license.
- Passport size photograph.
- E-signature or signature on a blank piece of paper.
Frequently asked questions
Looking for some cheap stock brokerages in India? Right this way
More guides on Finder
Bajaj Finserv Securities review
Bajaj Finserv offers personalised investment solutions to meet your trading needs.
Axis Direct review
Axis Direct offers a 3-in-1 trading account to help you diversify your portfolio.
How India will be investing in 2022
Finder’s Retail Investor Sentiment Report polled 39,573 Internet users across 26 countries to see how they’ll be investing their money in 2022.
How to invest in the S&P 500 from India
Find out the different ways you can invest in the S&P 500, one of the world’s most popular stock market indices.
How to invest money
Learn the basics of what it takes for novices to get started in the investment world in India, including an overview of your options and what to watch out for.
How to buy Rivian Automotive (RIVN) shares
Steps to owning and managing Rivian Automotive Inc, with 24-hour and historical pricing before you buy.
How to buy N/A (N/A) shares
Steps to owning and managing N/A, with 24-hour and historical pricing before you buy.
How to buy Bitcoin ETFs from India
Bitcoin ETFs are coming to market. Here’s how you can invest in them.
How to invest in coffee in India
This highly traded commodity can help diversify your portfolio. But consider unpredictable risks before investing in this daily bean.
Ask an Expert