Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Best Broadband Plans
Use this guide to help you find the best plan for your needs
Finding the right Internet plan for you can be an overwhelming decision with all the different deals available on the market. We’ve rounded up our choices for the best Internet plans over a couple of categories to try and make things easier for you.
How to choose the best Internet plan
What makes an Internet plan the “best” changes from person to person, so we’ve compiled a list of things to look out for when you’re trying to choose the best Internet plan for you.
- Price. Not all plans are created equal, and some providers will simply charge more for a comparable plan. Most plans offer unlimited data these days, but you could think about potentially saving on a limited data plan if you’re not a heavy Internet user.
- Speed. Every provider has a typical evening speed for their plans. This tells you what speed you can expect when everyone is online in the evening, and is what you should be comparing between similar fibre plans.
- Contract type. Month-to-month plans offer flexibility and let you switch providers on a whim, but some longer contract plans let you waive set-up fees or include a modem as part of the plan.
- Extras. Do you need a home phone line, or are you interested in entertainment bundles? Some providers will include extras that you can sign up for on their Internet plans.
- Provider reviews. While reading reviews is important, be aware that some providers compensate people for writing positive reviews about them to improve their star ratings. Also check whether negative reviews are related to issues with the provider or simply written by customers who are angry for other reasons.
How to choose the best speed for your needs
The speed you get on your Internet plan will depend on which type of Internet you’ve gone for. We’ll take a look at what different speeds are offered by NBN, mobile and ADSL connections, and whether you can choose a specific speed for your needs.
The Fibre Network is capable of speeds up to 2Gbps; however most plans won’t exceed 1Gbps.
Mobile broadband speeds
The speed of mobile broadband can be highly variable, depending on where you are, how clear the space between you and the mobile tower is, and what technology you’re using. Here’s an idea of typical speed ranges for each technology:
- 3G: 2-10Mbps
- 4G: 20-50Mbps
Mobile internet or home wireless broadband? Which one is best for you?
Mobile internet and home wireless tap into the same technology: both of them transfer data using existing mobile data networks. The big difference between them is that mobile broadband devices tend to be highly portable, meaning you can take them just about anywhere.
Home wireless broadband usually relies upon heavier modems that need an external power source and thus aren’t very portable. In return, home wireless plans tend to have higher data limits and more consistent connections.
While they both use the same type of technology to function, the one that suits you best really depends on what you’re looking to get out of your Internet connection. If you need a highly portable solution so you can work out of the office or stream content on the go, you’ll probably be better off with a mobile broadband plan. Keep in mind that most mobile broadband plans won’t offer anything higher than 100GB so you may need to think twice if you’re planning to use it in a heavy capacity. Home wireless broadband, however, is more of an in-home solution. Because its modem is bulkier than mobile broadband modems, it’s best if you use home wireless broadband in a single location, rather than moving it around throughout the day.
More guides on Finder
How to sell Bitcoin
Want to sell Bitcoin for Indian rupees (INR) or cryptocurrency but not sure how? Find out what you need to do in this handy guide.
How to invest in gold in India
If you’re thinking of investing in gold, our guide will explain how and where to buy gold in India as well as the pros and cons of buying gold.
Where to buy sulphate-free shampoo in India 2021
Sulphate-free shampoos will have your hair looking sleek and shiny, and you are helping your health and the environment.
5Paisa offers a range of customisable trading plans suited to meet the needs of the everyday investor.
Limeroad Discount Codes and Coupons March 2021 | Buy 1 get 1 FREE
See how much you could save on fabulous wardrobe wants today with one of our Limeroad coupon codes.
What is DeFi? Beginner’s guide to decentralised finance
Confused about DeFi? Find out how it works in this easy-to-read guide.
Croma Discount Codes and Coupons March 2021 | Get 75% Off
See how much you could save on top tech trends today with one of our Croma coupon codes.
Adidas Discount Codes and Coupons March 2021 | Up to 60% off
Adidas is a world-leading supplier of sports shoes, clothing and accessories, all tailored to help you give 100%.
How to do technical analysis and read the cryptocurrency market
There’s much to gain and lose in the volatile cryptocurrency market. If you want to make the best decisions, then you need to understand how to do a technical analysis. This guide from finder will tell you everything you need to know.
Soundbar buying guide: How to compare soundbars
What you need to know to buy the best soundbar to improve your home viewing experience.
Ask an Expert