A great card if you love staying at IHG hotels, and one that offers a superb loyalty upgrade.
The IHG Rewards Club Select card may not be particularly appealing to those who don’t often stay in IHG hotels. For loyal IHG customers, however, it’s the perfect choice. Though the card comes with a $49 annual fee starting the second year, its fee will quickly be offset by great point multiples for IHG stays, a free night every year, and an automatic loyalty tier upgrade that’s more attractive than the ones offered by most other hotel cards.
Product Details, Application Requirements, and Fees
- Product Name: IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card
- APR for Purchases (Purchase Rate): 16.24% to 23.24% variable based on creditworthiness
- Balance Transfer Rate: Same as purchase APR
- Cash Advance Rate: 25.24% variable
- Annual Fee: $0 for the first year; $49 p.a. afterwards
- Card Type: Mastercard
- Interest-Free Period: Up to 21 days
- Minimum Interest: None
- Minimum Credit Score: Excellent (720+)
- Minimum Age: 18 years of age (19 in Alabama and Nebraska)
Fees and Repayments
- Annual Fee: $0 for the first year; $49 p.a. afterwards
- Returned Payment Fee: Up to $37
- Late Payment Fee: Up to $15 if balance is under $100; up to $27 if balance is $100 to under $250; up to $37 if balance is $250 or more
- Balance Transfer Fee: $5 or 5% of the transaction amount (whichever is greater)
- Cash Advance Fee: $10 or 5% of the transaction amount (whichever is greater)
- Foreign Transaction Fee: None
IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card review
The IHG Rewards Club Select card is probably not for you if you don’t often stay at IHG properties (which include hotels like Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza, and Candlewood Suites). If you’re an IHG regular, however, you’ll find much to like about the card, such as its intro bonuses that can award you an easy 65,000 bonus points. In that sense the IHG Rewards Club Select is similar to cards like the Wyndham Rewards Visa and Choice Privileges Visa Signature, each of which enhances a specific loyalty program tremendously.
One of the most notable perks you’ll find with the IHG Rewards Club Select is an automatic upgrade to Platinum Elite status, the second-highest tier in the IHG loyalty program. To start with, Platinum Elite includes the features from lower tiers like extended check-out, no blackout dates for reward redemptions, and free internet. Then it beats out the lower tiers with guaranteed room availability, free room upgrades, and a 50% points bonus on top of the points you’ll receive through IHG spending.
That’s an impressive points accelerator, especially considering you have the opportunity to earn 15 points per dollar spent at IHG hotels (5 through the card and 10 through IHG Rewards Club). And point multiples of 2x on gas, groceries, and dining and 1x on everything else can help you pad your point count.
The card does come with an annual fee of $49 p.a.; however, it’s waived for the first year. You’ll also receive a free IHG night every year after your account anniversary, which may single-handedly make the annual fee worthwhile.
Benefits of the IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card
- 60,000 introductory points bonus. If you spend $1,000 within the first 3 months, you’ll earn 60,000 points.
- 5,000 bonus points for adding an authorized user. When you add your first authorized user and make a purchase within the first 3 months, you’ll earn 5,000 points.
- Free night after your account anniversary. Each year after your account’s anniversary date, you’ll earn a free night at an IHG location.
- 5x points at IHG hotels. On IHG hotel stays, you’ll earn 5 points for every dollar you spend.
- 2x points on gas, groceries, and dining. You’ll earn 2 points per dollar spent at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants.
- 1x points on everything else. On all other purchases, you’ll earn 1 point per dollar spent.
- Automatic upgrade to IHG Rewards Club Platinum Elite status. As long as you remain a cardholder, you’ll automatically qualify for Platinum Elite status in the IHG loyalty program. Platinum Elite status offers benefits like 50% bonus point earnings, complimentary room upgrades, extended check-out, and guaranteed room availability. You’ll also get a 10% rebate when you redeem IHG Rewards Club points.
- No foreign transaction fees. You can use your card for international purchases without incurring fees.
- Travel coverage. As a cardholder, you’ll receive travel benefits like baggage delay insurance, lost luggage reimbursement, and trip cancellation/interruption insurance.
- Price coverage. Your purchases are insured for 120 days against theft or damage; you can claim up to $500 at one time and $50,000 over the lifetime of your account. You’ll also receive price protection on purchases, up to $500 per item and $2,500 per year.
- No annual fee for the first year. The annual fee is waived for the first year; afterwards, it is $49 p.a.
Features of the IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card
- Sliding APR scale. You’ll receive a purchase and balance transfer APR of 16.24% to 23.24% based on your creditworthiness.
- Higher APR for cash advances. If you plan on taking out a cash advance, keep in mind that doing so comes with an APR of 25.24%. You’ll also incur a cash advance fee of $10 or 5% of the transaction amount, whichever is greater.
How to apply for the IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card
- You are at least 18 years of age (19 in Alabama and Nebraska)
Required documents & information
- Your name, residential status, and residential address
- Your Social Security number
- Your email address, phone number, and date of birth
- Financial information like your annual salary and wages