Wirex review Ireland
Get crypto-rewards and take control of your money with Wirex.
Wirex is a digital banking platform and card that gives you control over your money across the globe, making it easy to spend at a minimal cost while you travel. It lets you convert and spend cryptocurrencies anywhere that Visa is accepted and you can earn crypto-rewards as you spend.
Currency conversion fee
How does Wirex work?
Wirex is a digital payment platform that helps you manage your money at home and abroad at a low cost. Once you’ve registered – via the Wirex app on your smartphone, or online – you can take advantage of your Wirex Multi-Currency Account. Its features include easy-to-view transactions, and fast payments and transfers. Plus, you can buy, sell and manage your money via a range of supported traditional currencies and cryptocurrencies.
If you order a Wirex Card, you’ll see a separate card account on your profile which will show you your balance. You can load money onto your Visa debit card and start spending across the world. Your card can be used online, in shops, over the phone or by withdrawing cash from an ATM.
Key features of Wirex
The app is simple, user-friendly and streamlined. With Wirex, you can do the following:
- Make international payments. The app lets you transfer money to anyone in the world at the interbank exchange rate.
- Fee-free global spending. Your Wirex card automatically makes overseas payments in the local currency at the interbank rate without charging any exchange fees.
- Free ATM withdrawals. You can withdraw from both local and overseas ATMs for free.
- Hold different currencies in your account. You can hold a balance or make an exchange in 8 digital and 9 traditional currencies within the app, including euros.
- Control your card and account. You can block and unblock your card in the Wirex app as well as set monthly spending limits.
- Earn crypto rewards. Generate 2% back in Wirex Token (WXT) on all your in-store purchases, which will be instantly added to your X-tras account in the Wirex app.
- Worldwide acceptance. Wirex cards can be used wherever Visa is accepted, whether in stores or online at over 61 million merchant locations around the world.
- Buy, hold and spend cryptocurrency. With Wirex, you can exchange, hold and spend in these cryptocurrencies: Bitcoin (BTC), Ether (ETH), Litecoin (LTC), Ripple (XRP), Wirex Token (WXT), Dai (DAI), Nano (NANO) and Stellar Lumens (XLM).
- Convenient top-up. Reload your value anytime with a credit card, debit card or using cryptocurrency transfer.
- Instant notifications. Keep track of your payments with live in-app notifications instantly each time a transaction is made.
Wirex are the account options?
Wirex offers three account tiers: Standard (€0/month), Premium (€9.99/month) and Elite (€29.99/month).
It’s free to set up your Wirex account. There’s no charge to issue or deliver your Wirex Card either. But there are a certain number of fees and limits to be aware of:
- ATM withdrawal charge. You can withdraw up to €400 per month a month at no additional cost, after which a small fee of 2% is applied.
- Foreign exchange fees. There’s a 0% foreign exchange fee for card transactions in the European Economic Area (EEA).
- Card spending. For unconfirmed top-ups, the limit is 50 USD per day while it’s 5,000 USD for any confirmed top-ups.
- Cryptocurrency purchases. There’s a fee of around 1% above the real exchange rate for crypto purchases.
Pros and cons
- Crypto-friendly accounts. Buy and sell cryptos using Wirex.
- Crypto rewards. Earn 2% back in Wirex Token (WXT) on in-store purchases.
- Multi-currency card. Hold both fiat and cryptocurrencies in your account.
- Limited cryptocurrencies. Wirex currently only supports 8 digital currencies.
- Wirex isn’t accepted everywhere. The Wirex card might not be accepted in every place that you go to.
- No cash top-up option. You can only make deposits to your account via a debit or credit card or through a cryptocurrency transfer.
Wirex is an app to consider if you want a convenient digital account with impressive cryptocurrency functionality. You can buy, hold and sell multiple fiat and digital currencies and enjoy easy account management and top up. There’s also no monthly fee.
However, if you are looking for a digital bank account with spending analytics and savings functions, you may want to consider another app.
Experiences from other Wirex users
Wirex scores3.3 out of 5 based on 8,800 reviews and is rated Average on Trustpilot.
|User ratings||# of reviews||What do customers say|
|3.3 / 5||8,800|
*Note: Information provided is based on the reviews and rating on Trustpilot (19 October 2021).
How to apply
Signing up for Wirex is easy. Just click “Go to Site” on this page and then follow this process:
- Select “Go to site” on this page to be securely directed to Wirex
- Fill out the “Register with Wirex” form. Select your country of residence, enter your email and create a password.
- A confirmation email will be sent to you. Follow the confirmation link.
- You’ll be prompted to fill in your address, personal information and phone number.
- Next, you’ll be redirected to the “Verify your Identity” screen.
- Upload the required documents.
- Once you’re verified, set up a memorable word for added security and access all Wirex features.
Once your Wirex account has been successfully verified, you can request a contactless Wirex card. Simply click the “Order a card” button on the dashboard of your Wirex web application or mobile app, confirm your delivery address and select your delivery method.
Compare a range of digital banks in Ireland
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.