Wirex review Ireland
Get crypto-rewards and take control of your money with Wirex.
Wirex is a digital banking platform and card that gives you control over your money across the globe, making it easy to spend at a minimal cost while you travel. It lets you convert and spend cryptocurrencies anywhere that Mastercard is accepted and you can earn crypto-rewards as you spend.
Currency conversion fee
Since launching in 2014, Wirex customers have made over $2 billion worth of transactions between cryptocurrencies and traditional fiat currencies. Read on to find out more about Wirex in Ireland, including how it works and what it costs to help you work out if Wirex is right for you.
How Wirex works in Ireland
Wirex is a digital payment platform that helps you manage your money at home and abroad at a low cost. Once you’ve registered – via the Wirex app on your smartphone, or online – you can take advantage of your Wirex Multi-Currency Account. Its features include easy-to-view transactions, and fast payments and transfers. Plus, you can buy, sell and manage your money via 11 supported traditional currencies and nine cryptocurrencies.
If you order a Wirex Card, you’ll see a separate card account on your profile which will show you your balance. You can load money onto your Mastercard debit card and start spending across the world. Your card can be used online, in shops, over the phone or by withdrawing cash from an ATM.
The app is simple, user-friendly and streamlined. With Wirex, you can do the following:
- Make international payments. The app lets you transfer money to anyone in the world at the interbank exchange rate.
- Fee-free global spending. Your Wirex card automatically makes overseas payments in the local currency at the interbank rate without charging any exchange fees.
- Free ATM withdrawals. You can withdraw from both local and overseas ATMs for free.
- Hold different currencies in your account. You can hold a balance or make an exchange in eight digital and nine traditional currencies within the app, including euros.
- Control your card and account. You can block and unblock your card in the Wirex app as well as set monthly spending limits.
- Earn crypto rewards. Generate 2% back in Wirex Token Price (WXT) on all your in-store purchases, which will be instantly added to your X-tras account in the Wirex app.
- Worldwide acceptance. Wirex cards can be used wherever Mastercard is accepted, whether in stores or online at over 54 million merchant locations around the world.
- Buy, hold and spend cryptocurrency. With Wirex, you can exchange, hold and spend in these cryptocurrencies: Bitcoin (BTC), Ether (ETH), Litecoin (LTC), Ripple (XRP), Wirex Token (WXT), Dai (DAI), Nano (NANO) and Stellar Lumens (XLM).
- Convenient top-up. Reload your value anytime with a credit card, debit card or using cryptocurrency transfer.
- Instant notifications. Keep track of your payments with live in-app notifications instantly each time a transaction is made.
Fees and rates
It’s free to set up your Wirex account. There’s no charge to issue or deliver your Wirex Card either. But there are a certain number of fees and limits to be aware of:
- Card account maintenance fee. There’s a monthly fee of €1.20.
- ATM withdrawal charge. It costs €2.25 per withdrawal in most of Europe (including the UK); it’s €2.75 anywhere else.
- ATM withdrawal limit. You can take out up to 250 USD per day only.
- Foreign exchange fees. There’s a 0% foreign exchange fee for card transactions in the European Economic Area (EEA).
- Card spending. For unconfirmed top-ups, the limit is 50 USD per day while it’s 5,000 USD for any confirmed top-ups.
- Cryptocurrency purchases. There’s a fee of around 1% above the real exchange rate for crypto purchases.
Wirex offers a useful spending app and card that would suit quite a few different needs. It allows you to buy, store and exchange traditional currencies as well as fiat currencies, making it an option for travellers, online shoppers and crypto traders. The rates are competitive and the fees are not excessive. However, there is no free account option, which is available with competitors such as Revolut.
How to sign up
Signing up for Wirex is easy. Just click “Go to Site” on this page and then follow this process:
- Select “Go to site” on this page to be securely directed to Wirex
- Fill out the “Register with Wirex” form. Select your country of residence, enter your email and create a password.
- A confirmation email will be sent to you. Follow the confirmation link.
- You’ll be prompted to fill in your address, personal information and phone number.
- Next, you’ll be redirected to the “Verify your Identity” screen.
- Upload the required documents.
- Once you’re verified, set up a memorable word for added security and access all Wirex features.
Once your Wirex account has been successfully verified, you can request a contactless Wirex card. Simply click the “Order a card” button on the dashboard of your Wirex web application or mobile app, confirm your delivery address and select your delivery method.