Disclaimer: This information should not be interpreted as an endorsement of cryptocurrency or any specific
provider, service or offering. It is not a recommendation to trade.
- Supported fiat currencies:
EUR, GBP, CAD, CZK, HUF, PLN, RON, HRK, USD
- Supported cryptocurrencies:
Approximately 29 cryptocurrencies
- Credit card
- Debit card
- Bank transfer (SEPA)
Wirex app dashboard with active balances and shortcuts
Order your Crypto Card through the app
Customise which currencies you want to hold in your wallet
Enjoy spending your cryptocurrency and fiat with the Wirex card
The fees below are accurate as of 21 September 2021.
- Account maintenance fees (monthly). The Standard account is free, Premium is €9.99 and Elite is 29.99 each month. Or choose to pay for 12 months upfront and receive a 15% discount on fees.
- Foreign exchange fees. There are €0 foreign exchange fees for card transactions made within the European Economic Area (EEA).
- Card spending. There’s a US$50 limit for unconfirmed top-ups or a US$5,000 limit for confirmed top-ups.
- Cryptocurrency purchases. For any crypto purchases you make, you’ll pay a fee of around 1% above the real exchange rate.
- ATM withdrawal. Withdraw up to €400 fee-free per month (or pay a 2% fee on the withdrawal amount when you exceed your fee-free limit of €400)
Card payments are typically the same day, while SEPA may take several days. Cryptocurrency transactions depend on the specific blockchain and network congestion at the time.
- Regulation: At the time of writing (September 2021) Wirex is registered with several regulatory bodies around the world, with licences (or pending applications) with the UK Financial Conduct Authority, Monetary Authority of Singapore (pending) and Central Bank of Ireland (pending).
- Mastercard: Although Wirex still uses Visa for card payments, it partnered with Mastercard in 2020 as the first “crypto-friendly principal member” and is working with the payments company to expand Wirex’s network in 2021.
- Verification process. Photo ID verification is required to use Wirex.
- Security features. Wirex offers options two-factor authentication, PIN code and a recovery phrase to help secure accounts.
Back to top
- Download the Wirex app to your smartphone and register.
- Create an account and confirm your email address
- Verify your identity using your smartphone camera and passport.
WireX allows users to earn interest on their digital assets and fiat deposits with X-accounts.
X-accounts offer interest on up to 10 different currencies, which is compounded daily and paid out weekly. The supported fiat currencies include EUR and GBP and the following cryptocurrencies:
Interest rates on the X-Accounts you open in cryptocurrencies start at 6%. If you choose to receive your interest in the native WXT token, your interest you earn will increase to 10%.
- Bitcoin (BTC)
- Ethereum (ETH)
- Litecoin (LTC)
- Aave (AAVE)
- Chainlink (LINK)
- Maker (MKR)
- Stellar (XLM)
- Dai (DAI)
For your X-Accounts opened in either EUR or GBP, expect to receive interest rates of 12%, rising to 16% if you’re happy to receive your interest in WXT.
WireX says it is able to offer these rates by lending customer funds to both institutional lenders as well as various DeFi platforms, such as Uniswap and 1inch. Keep in mind that DeFi protocols are subject to unique risks such as smart contract vulnerabilities and impermanent loss. It’s not clear if customer funds are insured, although WireX has enlisted Fireblocks to help manage the security of crypto assets.
To create an account, select the ‘X-Account’ tab on your app dashboard and follow the instructions. You can customise the name of individual X-Accounts, making it even easier to keep track of your earnings.
Wirex began as a digital bank and payments service that has expanded to offer cryptocurrencies in recent years. It aims to make owning and spending multiple currencies – both traditional and digital – a simple process, all handled through a single card and account.
You can trade between various fiat currencies (in addition to crypto) through the app, which makes it a useful companion if you find yourself travelling across borders often.
WXT is Wirex’s own cryptocurrency, which was launched in 2019 and enables discounts and enhanced rewards.
CryptoBack is one of Wirex’s signature products and lets customers earn up to 2% back in WTX on in-store purchases.
Back to top
In a nutshell
- Good for spending in multiple fiat and cryptocurrencies
- Purchase and trade currencies in the app
- Earn interest with X-Accounts
- 1% premium on cryptocurrency purchases
- 2% withdrawal fee after exceeding €400 fee-free limit per month
Disclaimer: Cryptocurrencies are speculative, complex and involve significant risks – they are highly
volatile and sensitive to secondary activity. Performance is unpredictable and past performance is no guarantee of
future performance. Consider your own circumstances, and obtain your own advice, before relying on this information.
You should also verify the nature of any product or service (including its legal status and relevant regulatory
requirements) and consult the relevant Regulators' websites before making any decision. Finder, or the author, may
have holdings in the cryptocurrencies discussed.