What you need to know about the IBAN account, which can use to manage your money and spending in over 200 countries worldwide.
If you like the idea of a Mastercard that lets you make fee-free payments within the Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA), VIALET could be a great option to consider. In addition to a free IBAN account, it won’t cost you a cent to start using your account as there’s no cost for your first card.
Read on to find out the key points of VIALET works, including the card’s benefits along with some of the drawbacks and fees to be aware of.
How does VIALET work?VIALET is a free IBAN account that you can apply for and manage using your smartphone. The main advantage of VIALET is the ability to transfer money with no fees. You can enjoy free money transfers abroad plus free SEPA payments. While the account is free, you will need to pay an ongoing fee of €1.40 to use the card.
Key features of VIALET
- Fee-free Euro spending. There’s no charge for making payments within the Single European Payments Area (SEPA). It’s also free to send and receive funds with other VIALET accounts.
- Spending notifications. Get a push notification on your phone every time you spend, receive or send money.
- Contactless payments. Simply swipe your card to pay at any location that accepts Mastercard globally. Or use your PIN.
- Security features. VIALET offers a 3D secure system to protect your online purchases. Plus, you can block your card instantly if you’ve lost it and this can be done via the app.
- Adding funds. It’s easy to top up via a card or bank transfer.
VIALET has a few fees to consider, including:
- Monthly fee of €0 for the current account
- If you want a card with your account, you’ll need to pay a €4.95
- It’s free to top up your account
- ATM withdrawal fee of 2%
- €4.95 card replacement fee
Pros and cons
- Free money transfers. Benefit from fee-free money transfers around the world.
- Free SEPA payments. Enjoy free SEPA payments when you shop around Europe.
- Mobile app. Use the mobile app to manage your finances on the go.
- Card maintenance fee. If you decide to use the card, you’ll need to pay €4.95 every month for the privilege.
- ATM withdrawal limits. No more than €600 can be withdrawn from an ATM each day or no more than €3,000 monthly.
- ATM withdrawals fees. There’s a 2% charge for withdrawing cash and the minimum fee is €2.50.
- Fees for non-Euro transactions. Whether its an ATM withdrawal overseas or a non-Euro payment, a Mastercard exchange rate will be applied in addition to a 2% (min. 2.5€) fee of the total transaction amount.
The VIALET current account is a convenient, no-frills account that can be useful for those that need to transfer money throughout Europe. You can avoid largely avoid fees if you’re only using the account to transfer money to others. However, you will have to pay a fee to use the card. If you need a card with your account you may want to compare it to other free digital bank accounts available on the market as you might be able to find one with more features.
Experiences from other VIALET users
VIALET scores 3.3 out of 5 based on 24 reviews and is rated Average on Trustpilot.
|User ratings||# of reviews||What do customers say|
|3.3 / 5||24|
*Note: Information provided is based on the reviews and rating on Trustpilot (20 October 2021).
How to apply
VIALET makes it easy to sign up for a current account. We walk you through the process.
Step 1. Simply click “Go to Site” above and you’ll be taken to the VIALET website.
Step 2. Complete the signup process by entering your personal details including your name, date of birth and email address.
Step 3. Download the free VIALET app onto a smartphone.
Step 4. Complete the verification process and then order your contactless Mastercard.
Compare a range of digital banks in Ireland
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.