Find out if this prepaid card with an IBAN can meet your needs.
VIABUY offers a prepaid Mastercard that can help you to make secure transactions with ease, both in Ireland and abroad. The card offers fee-free payments within the Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA). What’s more, registering for Mastercard VIABUY is quick and easy, as the online process does not require a credit check or proof of income.
Our review looks at VIABUY’s features, fees, pros and cons to help you decide whether it could work for you.
Currency conversion fee
How does VIABUY work in Ireland?
VIABUY is a prepaid Mastercard account card that’s managed online or via an app and offers an alternative to traditional bank accounts. VIABUY doesn’t require you to prove your income or creditworthiness during the application process. Once you open an account, you’ll receive a dedicated IBAN along with a Mastercard card.
VIABUY makes managing money easy for its customers, and its features include:
- Fee-free transfers. It won’t cost you to make outgoing transfers within the SEPA. You can also send money to another VIABUY account or receive it for free. Domestic or SEPA credit loading will incur a 0.9% fee starting from 14 December 2020.
- Fast approvals process. Verification is completed online, and VIABUY aims to ship your card within 24 hours.
- Shop online or in-store. Your card will be accepted in over 40 million locations that accept the Mastercard card.
- Security features. The security features of this account are strong: it uses a fingerprint or face scan verification (in addition to a PIN). Plus, get email and text message notifications so that you stay informed about what’s being spent and where.
- Apple Pay / Google Pay. Both are compatible with VIABUY, meaning you can make super-easy payments online and in-store.
Fees and rates
The VIABUY card has quite a few fees to consider:
- The card comes with a one-time issuing fee of €69.90
- You’ll be charged €19.90 for the card annually
- 2.75% charge for transactions in foreign currency
- Charge of €5 for withdrawing cash from ATMs
- You’ll be charged 1.75% or more to load your card except if using a domestic/SEPA transfer or a cash deposit at a domestic bank.
- There is a monthly inactivity fee of €9.95 which kicks in 13 months after you open your account. If you make at least one transaction (incoming or outgoing) in the preceding 12-month period, you won’t be charged.
Make sure that you read VIABUY’s pricing and fees list on its website for a full outline of the costs you can expect to face with this account.
VIABUY is a simple prepaid card that lets you spend your own money securely online. It’s accessible to anyone who needs a card to spend online and in-store because there are no credit checks and you’ll receive your card 24 hours after you apply.
However, the fees for the account are very high. Consider if the features on offer will outweigh the upfront and ongoing costs. The VIABUY account is also not an option if you want more of a full-feature bank account.
How to sign up
To request the VIABUY card, you must visit this provider’s website and complete an application form: you can choose the card in two different versions, black or gold. After filling out the requested information, the card will be sent to the address indicated at the time of registration.
Pros and cons of VIABUY
- Euro payments are fee-free anywhere Mastercard is accepted
- Easy online application – there’s no need to show financial history
- 24/7 customer service
- With its embossed design, the card is slick-looking and comes in gold or black
- Enjoy a bonus of €25 for every successful referral
- One-off fee and annual fee apply
- €5 cash withdrawals and a 2.75% foreign transaction fee are among the charges to watch out for
- You’ll need to complete an online verification before you’re able to load your account and access account features