No new Uphold customers in Europe
Currently, Uphold Europe Limited is not accepting any new customers from Europe. It is continuing to service existing customers from Europe including Ireland. However, existing customers may no longer be able to buy certain digital assets but will continue to be able to hold or sell the digital assets they have.
Which fiat and cryptocurrencies are supported?
- Supported fiat currencies:
USD, GBP, AUD, EUR, CAD, CNY, JPY, SGD, INR, NZD
- Supported cryptocurrencies:
Approximately 217 cryptocurrencies
Which payments methods are accepted?
- Bank transfer
- Credit card
- Debit card
- Bank transfer (SEPA)
- Google Pay
What is Uphold?
Uphold is a cloud-based financial services platform where you can trade more than 35+ cryptocurrencies and 3 fiat currencies (EUR, GBP and USD) for a range of digital crypto. It is available to users in over 180 countries. This digital wallet is designed to make it quick and easy to store assets, send funds to other Uphold users around the globe and instantly exchange between currencies.
Operating on a 100% reserve model, Uphold backs all member stores one-for-one with its own holdings. Since its launch in 2015, the platform has supported more than US$3 billion in transactions. Uphold is headquartered in the United States.
How much does it cost?
It’s free to sign up with Uphold and create a wallet. However, depending on the funding method you select, you may need to pay deposit and/or withdrawal fees.
Fees and limits on Uphold
How do I add currency to my wallet?
There are multiple funding options available with Uphold including bank transfer, credit/debit card deposit and cryptocurrency transfer. However, the options available to you may vary depending on where you live.
Quick guide: How to add crypto to your Uphold wallet
To add cryptocurrency to your Uphold wallet, you’ll need to:
- Choose the Uphold money card you want to use and click “Add Funds”.
- Select the “Fund with cryptocurrency” option.
- Choose the cryptocurrency you want to send.
- Copy your wallet address or scan the QR code.
- Use this information to initiate the funds’ transfer from your external wallet.
How do I make payments with Uphold?
Quick guide: How to make crypto payments with Uphold
To transfer cryptocurrency from your Uphold account, you’ll need to:
- Choose the Uphold money card you want to use and click “Use Funds”.
- Select the “Send to cryptocurrency address” option.
- Enter the address of the wallet you’re sending funds to.
- Enter the amount you’re sending and the currency of your choice.
- Click “Confirm”.
How secure is Uphold?
Uphold offers several security measures to help protect user funds, including:
- 2-factor authentication. Uphold supports 2-factor authentication methods so you can set up an extra layer of security on your account.
- Encryption. The private keys of customers are encrypted to protect against hacking.
- 24/7 monitoring. Uphold’s Security Operations monitors its systems 24/7 to detect suspicious activity.
- Team security. Uphold also claims that its staff must adhere to strict security measures, for example, undergoing thorough background checks and using 2-factor authentication on all administrative accounts.
- Regulation. Uphold is regulated by the United States Treasury Department regulator, FinCEN, and in Europe, it’s partnered with an Authorised Payment Institution regulated by the UK Financial Conduct Authority. As Uphold is a regulated financial service provider, it must also comply with global anti-money laundering controls.
Where can I get Uphold?
Uphold is not currently accepting new customers from Europe or the UK.
If Uphold does begin accepting new customers from Europe again, it’s free to sign up for an Uphold web wallet at uphold.com. If you want to manage your cryptocurrency on the go, mobile apps are available for download from Google Play (for Android devices) or the App Store (for Apple devices).
Pros and cons
- Supports multiple cryptos, fiat currencies and precious metals
- Easy to set up and use
- Mobile apps also available
- Supports 2-factor authentication
- Quick and simple to send funds to any other Uphold user around the world
- Not accepting any new customers from Europe including Ireland
- You may not be able to access all account funding methods in your country of residence
- Other wallets support a wider range of cryptocurrencies
Frequently asked questions
Disclaimer: Cryptocurrencies are speculative, complex and involve significant risks – they are highly
volatile and sensitive to secondary activity. Performance is unpredictable and past performance is no guarantee of
future performance. Consider your own circumstances, and obtain your own advice, before relying on this information.
You should also verify the nature of any product or service (including its legal status and relevant regulatory
requirements) and consult the relevant Regulators' websites before making any decision. Finder, or the author, may
have holdings in the cryptocurrencies discussed.