Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Review: Small World money transfers
Flexible money transfers methods to choose from.
Small World is secure and easy to use when sending money from Ireland to anyone in more than 80 countries. You’ll typically save money with low fees and strong exchange rates.
Many online transfer services limit you to bank transfers only. With Small World, you not only have the delivery options of bank account, cash pickup and mobile wallet, you can even opt for home delivery in some countries. Pay by bank account, credit or debit card, cash or PayPal.
Generally, there are no minimum or maximum transfer amounts to worry about, unless you pay by credit or debit card, but this makes it easy to send any kind of transfer, from mobile account top-ups to real estate purchases. And your recipient can get the funds within 24 hours for most transfers.
If you do need to pay for a money transfer with a credit or debit card, be aware that there are maximum limits that will apply to your transfer depending on the currency you choose.
What's in this guide?
- How much will I pay to send money with Small World?
- How are Small World’s exchange rates?
- What types of transfers does Small World support?
- The pros & cons of using Small World
- How do I send money with Small World?
- Bottom line
- How does Small World compare to other services?
- Frequently asked questions
How much will I pay to send money with Small World?
Small World makes its money from transfer fees and by padding the exchange rate for a profit.
Fees depend on where you’re sending money and how it’s sent and received. Online transfers are cheaper than bank-to-bank transfers. Similarly, it’s less expensive if recipients receive a deposit in their account than if it’s picked up in cash at a location. Cash transfers are the most expensive option.
Live chat is available online to tell you the exact fees of your transaction, and Small World often offers discounts for first-time users.
How are Small World’s exchange rates?
Small World boasts “the best rates in the market.” Because it specialises in one thing — international money transfers — you can typically get exchange rates that are close to the mid-market rate.
What types of transfers does Small World support?
Small World makes it easy to send money internationally through several transfer options.
- Cash pickup. Designate a location for your recipient to pick up cash with a unique ID at one of 200,000 agents and branches worldwide.
- Bank account deposits. Quickly send money directly to your recipient’s bank account.
- Mobile wallet. Send money to mobile phones worldwide.
- Mobile top-up. Top up any mobile number worldwide in any currency.
- Home delivery. Home delivery is available in some countries for a fee.
The pros & cons of using Small World
- Accepts all currencies. Small World claims that it will accept all currencies out there.
- Multiple transfer options. You can even transfer money to a mobile wallet.
- Send any amount. If you don’t use a credit or debit card to pay for your transfer, there are no minimum or maximum transfer limits to worry about.
- No additional fees for using a credit card. Unlike other providers, you won’t pay extra to pay by card.
- Strong exchange rates. Get a better deal for your transfer.
- Popular service. Small World is a popular provider worldwide, with over 15 million customers worldwide.
- Maximum limits apply with card. When paying with credit or debit card, maximum limits will apply depending on the currency you choose.
How do I send money with Small World?
You can send money through Small World’s website or mobile app or through its call centre.
Whether you log on, visit or call, you’ll go through a similar process.
Tracking your transfer
With your transaction receipt, you’ll be assigned a unique money transfer number that you can use to track the progress of your transfer from Small World’s homepage. You can even pass it along to your recipient so they’re in the know.
Your order will also be given a status such as “Transaction created, awaiting payment”, “Transaction in progress”, “Ready for pick up”, “Received” or “Cancelled.”
Small World offers multiple options for quickly transferring money internationally. Accepting all currencies and transfers to more than 80 countries, it’s a great option for exotic currencies, flexible options and fast transfers.
If you need more out of your transfer service, you can compare the fees, rates and details of other money transfer specialists.
How does Small World compare to other services?
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Cryptosteel – March 2021 review
Find out the pros and cons of the Cryptosteel wallet, including price, security features, competition and more.
Billfodl – 2021 review
Learn more about Billfodl and how it can securely backup your cryptocurrency.
Blockchain Lockbox hardware wallet review
Find out what this simple and affordable entry-level hardware wallet can offer.
Review: Atomic Wallet
Learn how the Atomic Wallet lets you perform cryptocurrency atomic swaps and keep your crypto safe.
Corazon cryptocurrency hardware wallet – March 2021 review
Find out why the Corazon is the world’s most expensive cryptocurrency hardware wallet.
TransferWise Multi-Currency Account review
Convert funds and make payments overseas with the TransferWise debit card.
Investing in cannabis stocks in Ireland
Top stocks and ETFs to consider for those in Ireland who are ready to invest in cannabis.
How to buy Bitcoin SV
Our how to buy guide will let you in on what you need to know about buying, selling and trading BSV.
How to invest in US stocks from Ireland (2021)
Learn how to find the cheapest brokerage fees and a range of flexible trading features when you buy and sell US shares from Ireland.
Polkadot (DOT) cryptocurrency: How it works and where to buy
Learn more about the DOT cryptocurrency in this beginner’s and buyer’s guide.
Ask an Expert